Crowd Support

Discussion in 'Ask a Titan - Ryan Boyle' started by Hollywood42, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Ryan first off youre a great player , wish you were here in Phily
    but I just have a quick question

Ive been to your games up in Newark NJ
    and now ive seen the games down in Orlando

how does playing in front of a respectable crowd affect your game against playing in front of empty seats

2. WINGS4EVER

WINGS4EVER New Member

To follow up on Hollywood's question

You never have really played in a "big" market in the NLL.....San Jose, NY, Orlando.
    Do you think that the players for the smaller market teams think the small crowd help or hurt them on the Rug. I mean its like if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound theory? Do you think you Personally like to play one day for a colorado, Toronto, Philly, Buffalo?

3. kjcolv

kjcolv New Member

We're planning on keeping you in O-town as long as possible:D...we're still learning the game and growing our fan base but don't worry Ryan we're going to get the crowd noise up there to rival any city (or town!)!!

4. MagicDrop

MagicDrop New Member

I was in NY for those 1000 fan days. It was sad to see these guys play so hard and not have anyone cheering for them or worse when we played a team in the area the crowd was loader for the visitors. Glade to see people showing up in Orlando I hope you guys realize what you have unlike us NY fans.

5. Ryan Boyle

Ryan Boyle Orlando Titans

Thanks for the messages on this topic, which seems to hit close to the heart of the fans.

It goes without saying, but as a professional athlete and true competitor I absolutely love playing in front a crowd! I love playing in Philly and hear 15,000 people yell out "Sucks" after they introduce me in pre-game.

Quick side-note: my niece came and watched me play a few years ago and she's not allowed to say the word "sucks" (she's four). Imagine my sister having to explain to her why over 10,000 people are not allowed to say that word, but scream it, and about her Uncle!

Moving along, it's unfortunate that I haven't had the chance to play in front of big crowds during my career but early signs in Orlando have been encouraging. Its a passionate group that has already picked up when to get into the game. We've also helped ourselves out by playing well and having some nice tilts (fights) during the home-opener.

I think playing in front of a big crowd can go either way- if youre playing well, they are going to energize you and make it work harder. If things aren't going your well, then they can increase anxiety as you are expected to perform better.

On the flip side, a small crowd can help or hurt you as well. Trust me, it is pretty depressing get pumped up for a game, getting introduced, and running out to see a completely empty arena. Kinda' takes the wind out of your sails. It really tests your professionalism- it doesn't matter who's there, you still have to go out and do your job. The small crowd can also demoralize the opposition since you can't silence a group of fans... if they're already silent. Make sense?

Hope this answers all of your questions. Thanks for asking and keep 'em coming!

6. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

got my wish
    :D

welcome

7. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Welcome back to Philly Ryan!