Dawson traded!

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by hawkrock, Feb 26, 2018.

1. hawkrock

hawkrock Member

Just read that DDD has been traded to the Rush for draft picks. Class act. Thanks for everything you did for the Knighthawks, Dan. Good luck with Sask.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

What's his contract status? I'm just a tad surprised he'd take a trade to somewhere so far away since I believe he has a young family at home in the GTA. I wonder if this is the final season for him.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Seriously?? I didn't think he would leave for anywhere but Toronto or Buffalo given that he has a young family. Did the Hawks get one of the Rush's 1st rounders in the next draft?

4. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

5. chuckster

It looks like the 2nd rounder that the Hawks are getting was originally Vancouver's 2nd rounder. Which should be #14 overall. It also gets the Hawks back into the 2nd round....they traded their pick to Georgia, previously.

Styres takes a guy they were winning games without and flips him for a high 2nd rounder and another pick. Again, in the NLL, it's Curt Styres' world and we're just living in it.

6. IHS

IHS Active Member

7. KhawkProud

KhawkProud Member

Rush are the best team in the league, DDD is 36 and slowing down, would he even see the field for the Rush? I wonder if the Rush are going to try and package Dan and one of their 1st rounders to Philly for the 1st or 2nd overall pick? Dan is a lacrosse legend, familiar to Philly fans and could be used to help drive attendance.

8. IHS

IHS Active Member

Well Styres got a lot for him IMO.

9. chuckster

Dan played 1 season in Philly. Outside of the Philly fans who come here, no one will remember who he is in Philly so he won't do anything to help drive attendance. Paul Day would be familiar with Dawson and he would easily know that Dawson has a ton of miles on him and that his best days are behind him (he's played alot of summer ball, too).

The Rush right side on O already has Church, McIntosh, Knight and Dinsdale. I don't know which one of those guys you sit in favor of the much older and slower Dawson. And I don't know what you gain for stashing Dawson on any sort of list to trade him later when he might just retire.

Styres gained alot in this deal but I don't see the upside for the Rush unless Church/McIntosh/Knight/Dinsdale are hurt or for some reason want to go elsewhere.

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Um..yeah.. an expansion team should trade a high pick for a then 37 yr old who only played here a year... wow that's a stretch. I would love to have him back with the Wings, but not at a high price

Names from the past aren't going to drive attendance, the old fans who are comming back have already decided whether they are or not. Plus the only names still playing that would perk interest are Manney and Crowley. It.won't surprise me at all if those two work out a deal to philly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I am one of Dawson's biggest fans, but, I think he is coming up on the end.......the big guys age fast.

So, this season, Dawson was struggling to score, and, and we see that a lesser team than the Rush that has a thinner depth of righties is winning more games without him than with him.

He is probably also heavy on salary and bonus. Getting anything for him was a miracle, especially from a team that arguably has no room to use him.

A second round pick is actually worth a fair bit to a team 3h from Ontario in a rapid-expansion environment, so, Styres did well here.

Wondering what Sask's end game is in this.

12. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I am also a fan (in win his jersey off the back one year, and it is what I wear to games now) but also understand what teams are looking for. The Rush are in title mode, they hope he can provide some key goals. The Wings will be growing a team with young talent and a few leaders whose previous team didn't see fit protect. Now if Dawson is FA and wants to be a part of the fun, sign him.

13. chuckster

Dawson is a guy you get if you're in a win-now mode and I've never had the sense that the Rush are in that mode. They've won and are already in great position to do so again. They have 3 1st rounders each in the next two entry drafts so they are well set for what they lose in the next 2 expansion drafts.

As I said, unless a righty O that we don't know about is hurt or one of them wants to move West or East for work commitments, I still don't understand why the Rush take Dawson.

14. RockStar

Dawson at prime was an MVP candidate

Dawson at somewhere between prime and start of 2017-2018 is better than the depth half of the righties.

Dawson at start of 2017-2018 form is only possibly better than the guys in the depth half

Sask is flush with cash, so, if they have room for a big salary and bonus, they can afford to bring in Dawson as a No. 3 or No. 4 righty, but, I am not sure I want to screw with something that's working, and take shifts/touches away from even Dinsdale or Knight.

This only makes sense if someone is hurt or otherwise indisposed that we had not heard about yet.

15. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK DOES NOT WANT THAT AGING PIECE OF ARCHAIC BIG MAN POPULATING THE FIELD AT THE WELLS FARGO CENTER NEXT SEASON.

THANK YOU.

16. chuckster

Curtis Knight went on IR today -- http://www.nll.com/news/2017-transactions/ -- but it doesn't say what level.

So now this makes some sense.

RockStar likes this.
  17. IHS

IHS Active Member

This is where you’d like to be the fly on the wall. Who initiated this Derek Keenan, seeing that DDD hadn’t played in 3 games? If so, Styres pretty much was able to dictate what he wanted in return...

18. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Sounds like Knight could be done for the rest of the year. The Rush paid too much IMO for a guy who would not dress if the lineup was healthy, but there probably weren't a lot of good forwards available for trade and the Rush are going for a championship and no other outcome will be considered acceptable. Might as well acquire a proven playoff performer and hope he catches fire.

RockStar likes this.
  19. RockStar

Necessity is the mother of invention. If they have room under the operating cap, they can afford the second rounder as they are deep, young, and, I think have all their first rounders.

Like you said, Gravedigger, there might not have been a tonne of choice.......anyone with a good/healthy forward doesn't really want to ship him anywhere else.

So, Dan Dawson as a fourth/fifth/sixth?

Limit his minutes, and, then send him out there against a tired third-best-lefty defender, and, he can probably contribute.

What's going to maybe hurt you is if/when you have those first and third periods in rinks where the righties have to make the extra long run across the floor.

20. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

I'd say he's probably a 5th/6th on most teams. Even though Rochester was winning without him, it's not as if Fannell or Currier were significant improvements over him, more of it seemed to be due to Resetarits breaking out and Jamieson remembering how to play lacrosse again. On the Rush he's a clear 7th option behind Matthews, Church, McIntosh, Keenan, Shattler, Dinsdale. Would not see a shift if Knight were healthy. I think for the 1st and 3rd period Dawson will see very little playtime and the Rush will deploy 3 lefties 2 righties more often.