Definition of Insanity

Discussion in 'Colorado Mammoth Forum' started by bbilly1, May 8, 2016.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Well, Colorado chokes again against Calgary. Poulin was the star. However, way too bad he couldn't play like that in 2014 and 2015 as their goaltending sunk them in the final against Rochester and the final to get to the championship round against the Rush. If he played the way he did this year they would have had 2 more NLL championships.

2. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Spot on, I noticed Wardle when he scored, Mallory for complaining about a call and McLaughlin not at all. I don't get Colorado's logic. You dress 7 forwards and three were invisible. They wasted a good effort by their defense who really surprised me this year.

They seem to have too many duplicate pieces and not enough players to work off ball. Crawford created a lot by himself during the season but he was blanketed against Calgary.

Colorado does not pick until the 4th round this year and no first rounder until 2018. I do agree with Grantjr24 about the Noble trade, maybe the jury's still out on how effective he can be. 2 1st rounders for 54pts and .116 shooting percentage? Malcom and Kedoh-Hill got nearly 40 pts each as Buffalo's 3rd & 4th righty options both of whom shot better and collected more loose balls than Noble and cost a fraction of the price.

Govett's time as GM has to be running out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  3. blake1827

blake1827 Member

Govett acting as both GM and President has always bothered me since they're is no one else for him to answer to. Don't forget about his brief stint as self appointed head coach. Yeah Philly hadn't won anything since '01 but at least they've had a regime change. Govett has run the Power/Mammoth for nearly a long essentially singlehanded. And success in the post Gait era has never been a thing.

4. LordStanley1893

Well said, even the Bandits ended up pulling the plug on Darris first as a GM then a coach. Even if the person has been with the organization a while you have to know when it is time to say goodbye. Dietrich has built a solid team (through the draft, trades, and free agency, but apparently to some posters he has done a terrible job :rolleyes:). Troy has increased the Bandits win total every year he has been here. Darris did a lot of good for the organization but his time was up and the team has been better for it.

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i think steve is pretty safe in Denver.

6. LordStanley1893

That's the danger, we can debate his merits but a change of some kind whether it is organizational or personnel is needed.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Toronto has a similar problem. At least the Woolies made the playoffs.

8. Niagra Ned

Niagra Ned Member

Woolies had a great year! Fell short in the playoffs again but were fun to watch. I like this team but I don't think they can keep it together much longer. Jones will need to be in the East division because of his work. Grant can play one more good year? The Noble trade severely hurt the chances of getting better next year and trading him would bring back half what they paid. The free agency thing worked with Crawford so it is where they need to go again. Question is who is available.

9. blake1827

blake1827 Member

Lets be honest, since the Sting folded the Mammoth have been geographically the most isolated team in the league. Sure when they moved from DC and had amazing sellout crowds it was a novelty and everyone in the league wanted to come play in Denver.

But time and again veteran players don't want to fly an extra 2.5+ hours each way for 8 or 9 home games.

Heck, I can't remember the last time I saw Tavares play a regular season game and I had season tix since '04!? Casey Powell couldn't be bothered to leave Florida half the time he was on the team in semi-retirement. Unless a guy is at the end of his career most of them choose to play closer to home. So Govett is stuck churning a roster of young players and snagging veteran guys that were cut from other teams rosters (Steve Toll, Bob Snider, Nooch).

For a organization who doesn't draft or scout well, it makes sense that Govett constantly trades his first round picks for an opportunity to grasp at straws and get the rights to a veteran player.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  10. TheRockMan

TheRockMan Active Member

i watched the game, and i feel for you mammoth fans always losing to calgary most often, but its a team game so more then grant should be blamed.

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Add another loss to CGY to the playoff resume. I believe that makes them 0-8 since winning the cup in 2006.

Tough to watch, as they were fully in control through the first 25 minutes of the game, and had a 5 goal lead.

12. blake1827

blake1827 Member

The 'Necks own the Mammoth in the post season, I've lost track how many times I've seen it happen. Last night they seemed to let their foot off the gas late in the second, mid way through the third the offense ran out of gas. Dobbie and Dickson put their team on their back put on one hell of a show.
    The Mammoth had the same issue all year, they have a anemic offense. Sure Keogh, Noble or Benesch may have a good night every couple games but they have no depth. You don't know who to count on for more than 1or 2 goals.
    The defense over performed again this year, especially since we lost 2 starters to injury before camp. Cupido is arguably the best transition player in the league. Ward is solid, but I think the coaches should have put him on a shorter leash and given Fryer a couple more chances to come in off the bench and stop the bleeding. This franchise is better off without sg and jgj but it's loyal fan base seems wasted on a slightly above average team.

13. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

NLLLOL again.

team with no business even being in the playoffs shows up a touch more ready and, with no pressure, steals the one game knockout on the road.

with a win, and a one shot at glory chance for a finals berth there is now a bit of pressure.....and they're meeting a much better team next week, so it's hard to pull this off twice.....but wouldn't it be effing hilarious if an 8-10 team with very few wins against ought but the league's worst found a way into the final.

14. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

7-9 rochester from a few years ago comes to mind

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

First one that came to my mind.....but, they were a deep team that just sandbagged the early half of the season and turned it on when it started to matter. They also never had to beat a juggernaut like Sask to get through their division.

I think Calgary is a lesser team that caught lightning, once....but still, if it happens, it will be funny.

I was also remembering 6-10 Portland

16. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I would put Calgary as the weakest of the bunch. They were 4-10 against teams not named the Stealth this year.

17. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

And many of those games were in Denver, IIRC. It's amazing that Calgary treads water in the regular season, gets in and then takes out the Mammoth. Consistently.

18. bbilly1

bbilly1 Member

Ha! I checked in tonight just out of curiousity and saw this broken record post revived. Good stuff. I twisted my wife's arm to go to the game last week...she would not go. We watched on TV instead. It looked good there for awhile... It definitely seems playoff success is not a part of the Mammoth program. It looks like people are still attending the games anyway, though.

I thought KSE owned the Mammoth. I guess in reality Dane Dobbie does.

Hope everyone is doing well...it's been a couple years...

19. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Zing!!