Dhane, Priolo, Blaze Re-sign; Brock signing with NE

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Rick716, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Dhane would just quit like that....

Oh, you meant "re-sign."

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I wonder why they don't lock up Dhane Smith, a league MVP in 2016, for more than 2 years. He's 25. Sign him for 5 years.....what's the harm in that? It's not like the Bandits won't protect him in an expansion draft. He's Dhane Smith!

4. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

Brock can go, his skill set is a dime a dozen in a 9 team NLL. He's in his 30s too.

5. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I'm good with this move too. With how awful the defense was they needed to clear space. They're shedding replaceable pieces and money and the same time. That's a win in my book.

6. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark wonders if maybe Dhane Smith didn't want to sign for more than 2 years in the 716....

7. The Wack

The Wack Member

That could very well possible be the case but how many NLL players sign long contracts. I have seen a couple of 3 year deals but the majority of all contracts are for 1 or 2 years.

Other than the contract when Steenhuis signed for 5 years a while ago and Cody Jamieson contract for 10 years how many longer term deals has there been in the NLL.

I would say the reason for it is no player at the moment really wants to sign a longer term contract right now in case the salaries increase a fair amount. Why be under contract and miss out on that.

8. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

Excellent point. Also, why miss out on potentially letting yourself get franchise tagged and get the max amount.

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Good point but I bet there could be language written into the contract that would adjust it for whatever the next PLPA contract would specify based on years of service or whatever pay scale is in place. And I know it's tricky with expansion drafts likely coming but this is Dhane Smith. And maybe HE doesn't want to commit to more than 2 years but why wouldn't he if the terms were right?

10. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

11. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Oddly the Priolo signing was listed in the Philly Inquirer's sports transaction section. Now I don't read them all the time, nor do i think they print them every day. But strange they would print any at all, and then pick just one.

12. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The Batavia Daily actually has a phenomenal transactions section. By far the best in any paper I've ever read. They'll even put random western Canada independent baseball transactions in there!