Dickson and Berg not on Roster!!

Discussion in 'Calgary Roughnecks Forum' started by rigger1, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

IMHO It's a weird tactic from the agent. It's not in the article but I thought I saw a quote from him saying something like "It's such a small amount of money, I'm surprised the Roughnecks are not just paying it" - but it's enough money that your clients are willing to not play over it? Remember, Curtis Dickson is a franchise player, so he's already making the league max + 10%. It's hard to play the whole "the team is screwing over this great player" card when nobody is making more than he is.

RockStar likes this.
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

And with a vet salary max number, he can't make more than the max + 10% so it's not like he can go and get $100k. It definitely is the agent pressuring the team into making a deal through the media.

Calgary's next 2 games are against Vancouver again and San Diego.....lose those two games and the Roughnecks are going to have to cave on what the agent wants.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So I wonder if this means that it's more on Wes Berg's end that the negotiations aren't going as the agent would prefer. I mean, if you're already making the league max plus 10%, what's left to negotiate?

On a related note, didn't Steenhuis sign a deal with the Bandits years ago that got him paid significantly more than a franchise tag would've because of some loophole in the system? Perhaps that is what Dickson is looking for?

EDIT: Read the rest of the article. So, bonuses aren't counted toward the max?

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

You're right, I believe bonuses are extra, so Dickson probably wants a bonus if he's MVP or wins the scoring title or things like that. For Dickson, both of those things are quite possible so there is a legit opportunity for him to make extra $.

5. AmericanRockFan

Which is what sucks from the Roughnecks standpoint in terms of finances. For most players, they could probably just toss in a random bonus to appease the player's ego. In this case, they have to weigh the fact that both of those things are legit possibilities.

Considering that Dickson is making, I'd estimate, $35,000, I wonder how much of a bonus he's seeking.

6. chuckster

He made extra money by giving talks at schools, participating in clinics, appearing at events, etc. under the guise of "community outreach". Guys like Dhane Smith and Josh Byrne are now doing the same thing. I don't know if that changed in the new CBA but it was there in the previous one.

7. AmericanRockFan

Ah okay. I thought it was something like that, but I also thought there was some sort of endorsement deal too. I wonder if the new CBA also prevents players from working in the ticket department a la Garrett Billings with the Rock and Joe Walters with the Knighthawks earlier this decade.

8. chuckster

I can't see why it would prohibit that. I doubt there's a cap on admin salaries in the league but I'm sure the league wants to know when players are working in team's admin jobs so they aren't trying to heavily circumvent the player salary cap and still get guys paid more.

9. AmericanRockFan

I’d only wonder if there’s a restriction on it so that there’s not a Danbury Trashers-UHL thing where players, and even their wives, are being given bogus jobs with decent salaries to get around the salary cap structure.

10. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

Curtis Dickson has been activated.

Translation: Curtis threw his usual hissy fit so we did it to shut his little weasel ass up.

11. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Nope - Carter Dickson has been activated. Close but no cigar.

Hollywood42 likes this.
  12. AmericanRockFan

Well, if it tricked a hardcore member of the lacrosse community maybe it can trick the casual observer who will only see "Dickson" on the back of a jersey and wonder why "Curtis" changed his jersey number.

13. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

Trickery most foul! Just what I'd expect from a Calgary team! :p

14. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Oh don't worry, they've solved that problem. Carter Dickson's jersey will say "C. Dickson" to avoid such confusion.

fandit and RockStar like this.
  15. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

I'm confused :confused:. Is he still a "little weasel ass" or not? :D

16. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Well, I’d stay with that quote. I’m a long time Roughnecks fan, but tired of Dickson. I’m surprised he can get his helmet on over his swelled head. It’s all about him.