Disney's impending purchase of Fox assets

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Fox is planning on breaking itself up into two parts: Its news group and its entertainment assets.
    A deal has been made for Disney to buy the entertainment portion subject antitrust concerns and FTC approval.

One of Fox's entertainment assets are its sports networks (and there are several of them - nationals and regionals). The Fox sports networks are the primary competitor in the subscription television universe to ESPN, TNT/TBS not withstanding. ESPN, of course, is owned by ABC which is owned by Disney.

So, if the Disney deal goes through, then a large chunk of TV sports will be under Disney's control since they will own all ESPN networks and all Fox Sports networks.

I wonder if the FTC will require Fox and Disney to not sell Fox Sports to Disney for the overall deal to go through.

While the focus for the NLL is still streaming, I wonder if it is good or bad for both the NLL and the public if Disney owns ESPN and Fox Sports.

Given that ESPN is not swimming in cash and had another layoff this past month, I could imagine that a Disney-owned Fox Sports would be integrated with ESPN to make a larger ESPN. While there'd be some layoffs due to redundancy of workers, this might help the losses ESPN is taking since ESPN + Fox would have more control of the sports broadcast space so they can charge more.

Homer_Mouse.jpg

2. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Fox Sports is not part of the deal, only the FOX affiliated Regional Sports Networks.

3. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Disney is stocking up on content to show exclusively on its own streaming service and that is going to severely cripple Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc. Remove Disney/Pixar/Marvel/LucasFilm/Fox content from the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu services and there won't be much left on those services.

I could see ESPN becoming available as a stand-alone streaming service at some point, maybe exclusively where you won't be able to get it through cable or satellite providers. I dropped my DISH package down to a bare bones package that doesn't include ESPN and frankly, I don't miss ESPN. And I saved over $40 a month on my satellite bill.

The NLL may look at Disney as a partner at some point.

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

To be honest, the only time I ever watch ESPN these days is in the summer time when they broadcast the CFL on their website, and when they're showing the Home Run Derby and/or the MLB All-Star Game. Other than that, meh. I go to the individual sport league channels to get my news for the sports I like most nowadays.

6. Mtn_Scott

Mtn_Scott Active Member

Fox Broadcasting (FOX Channel), Fox news, and Fox Sports to be spun off as separate company.

otherwise this merger would never get past regulators. I get the feeling this is more about 21st Century fox Movie properties than the broadcast side. For example, not Disney would own all the Xmen movies, not just the new ones. The first batch belongs to Fox. Now consolidating the Marvel universe under the Disney Flag.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.
    That doesn't surprise me. If Disney had gotten Fox Sports itself, that would have been a major issue with the FTC antitrust folks.

I am a bit perplexed... If Disney owns ABC and the Fox Television Network, then they'd be owning 2 broadcast networks! That seems a bit odd and not sure if the FCC would be happy with that. Or am I mistaken about that too?

EDIT: I see Rupert is holding onto the Fox Network per the LA Times:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-fox-sale-20171214-story.html

Murdoch is not selling out completely. He is holding on to certain properties, including Fox News, the Fox broadcast network, television stations and the cable channels Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2.

8. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

They will not own Fox's broadcast station, Fox News, or Fox Sports 1 & Fox Sports 2. They are getting FX FXX and other Fox cable networks, including the RSNs.