1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

do you want the 1st expansion pick or 1st pick in Entry draft?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by BenMitchell, Feb 21, 2018.

1. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

Just like the headline says--do you want the 1st expansion pick or 1st pick in Entry draft?

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'd say picking first in each round of the entry draft is worth more than weeding through every other team's depth half.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think I read they're going to alternate the picks in rounds 2-4. If the Wings pick 1st in round 1, they will pick 2nd in round 2, 1st in round 3 and 2nd in round 4. Who picks 1st in the expansion draft and who picks first in the entry draft is determined by a coin flip.

My vote is getting 1st in the entry draft. You will still get a great player with the 2nd pick of the expansion draft but you could only get a franchise player at #1 in the entry draft.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Without any scouting of either draft, I would agree with entry draft. That's the best chance to get a player to build around.

5. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

problem with the expansion picks is not only are they bottom half of the roster but I am sure many of the better ones would holdout/retire before going to SD or PA. Many vets will be exposed because the teams know they will not travel for home games.

RockStar likes this.
  6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

The coolest thing about expansion drafts is that they usually lead to dispersal drafts in a couple of years. :D

I didn't read anything from the league that was clear about what happens with UFAs or even RFAs. Hoping for roster shenanigans, drama, high profile holdouts, trades for less than market, etc......haven't had a real gem since Minny managed to fleece Buffalo for Cosmo.