Does anyone else have a difficult time watching field lax?

Discussion in 'NCAA Lacrosse Forum' started by Vin, May 12, 2016.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

So, I am in my room and college lacrosse games come on and I see the offense guys running around and I find myself yelling at the idiot box "C'mon! Pull the trigger!" I see so many openings that are easy shots for a box player, but it is like these field guys are waiting for the next harmonic convergence or something before taking a shot or attacking the crease. I know they are not stalling either because this happens with the teams that are behind as well.

I don't want to sound like I am dissing field lax, but, as much fun as it can be because it can be intense - especially late in a close game, it's like I am watching true minor league lax. If you had NLL guys on O in a college field game, it would be a total blow-oooot.

Anyway, it's not that I am thinking of these young field guys are minor league, but it is frustrating watching them play when the shots on goal and goal counts should be higher in field. These college field guys simply do no take the shot that any NLL player would take.

To put it another way, watching a field game is like watching a soap opera - nothing of import happens much of the time and it takes forever and a day for the "story" to get moving. I'm finding myself wanting to watch MLB baseball more than field lax or, just as often, I will just leave the field game on as background noise as I do something else on my computer.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

They could certainly shoot more, stuff the net full of balls, and drive the scores up.

Thing is, without a shot clock, is it worth it? If you rush a shot, you're surrendering control over the time of possession metric.

If you have the ball, and can keep it in the attack box long enough to eat into the endurance of the starting longsticks, you'll have a better chance of stuffing the net full of balls later in the game if you need to catch up or extend a lead.

more simply, you're playing defense by offense - if you have the ball, they do not, and they cannot score.

So, unless you're surrendering forced turnovers, I don't figure there's any point taking a shot until you have a really high percentage look, or a teammate in position to back it up when you rip it at a top corner and might miss high/wide.

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I find it to be terrible. It's soccer with sticks.

4. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

I've tried to watch field lax a few times but after getting hooked on box lax it's like watching paint dry in comparison.

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

its a different set of attitudes. the lack of a wall behind the goal means that a missed shot could be a turnover. thus, players are taught not to be hot dogs and shoot only when you have a good shot. what the canadians bring to field is their notion of what is an acceptable shot. for years, what gave the canucks the advantage was that defenders and goalies could not adept fast enough. you drive away the forward to his offhand and then bang, over the shoulder rifle. what was your comfort zone is now your uncomfort zone.
    good lax is good lax imho.

6. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

I find any field lacrosse like NCAA and the MLL to be too slow paced without enough contact. That's one reason the MLL's Barrage failed in Philly. A number of Wings fans went to the games (including myself) and were bored. Many Wings fans were shouting "hit somebody" because they were used to more contact and hitting and the faster pace in NLL games.

You are too far away from the field to be able to follow the games also. Seems like you are a mile away from the ends of the fields and it takes too much concentration to follow games from that distance. Many crowds aren't that into it either. I went to an MLL Rattlers game in Rochester a few years ago and the crowd was small and dead. I was sitting about 15 rows up in the stands and the only thing I could hear was the rustling of the pom poms being shaken by the cheerleaders on the sidelines. That's how quiet it was during game play.

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i'm ok with the mll. but i am one of those that think college field is better. what i miss going to the ncaa's are the smaller college only stadiums. rutgers 25,000 seater in 2001 was the best - you saw and heard everything. the football sized stadiums are just too big.

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Look at how Shawn Evans threaded the needle in the OT NBW win over GEO last week. No field guy would even dream of taking that shot!

You put a guy like Evans in field and it's like Jaws in public swimming pool filled with people who can't swim just floating about - it's pure easy pickings.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if anyone watch brown destroy jhu today, then you will see field play at the highest octane. it is about attitude and coaches not letting the system dominate the skills and ambitions of their players. if i was a player, i'd look at coach tiffany at brown or coach marr at albany.