Duch signs

Discussion in 'Calgary Roughnecks Forum' started by Hollywood42, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

1 year deal

2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The Warriors couldn't have traded him for something? Surprising.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I was surprised too but maybe they couldn't get the asking price based on whatever nagging injuries he's dealing with and just decided to cut bait with camps opening up this weekend. Signing with Calgary isn't a surprise to me but I thought the Seals would have been a place for him to be.

5. AmericanRockFan

That's very valid, but if I was Vancouver I would've even traded him just for a conditional late round pick or something. Regardless, the parties involved know more about the situation than I do.

6. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

With a bunch of expansion teams coming soon maybe a waiver process should be started. It can also help when teams like Buffalo, Rochester, and Toronto try to sneak players on and off the roster to make rooster spots available for short term needs.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

agreed, there should be a waiver system.

still, with this one, you have to wonder how they were unable to turn Duch into any kind of asset when he looks like a solid bet to make the cut on a better team.....I would have thought draft pick or prospect for a guy who used to score in bunches in a stronger league....

8. unspoken

unspoken Member

I was puzzled by the release vs. trade thing too, but then I thought about the NHL and how teams had difficulty trading "bad" contracts. If he was making max, and had a statistically poor year last year, maybe teams didn't want to trade for his contract as it was and that's why he was released rather than traded.

I think he's probably got a lot of good to offer still but has to have a "prove it" year this year to get back to making the high dollar contact (in terms of the NLL).

9. chuckster

Duch was under contract with Vancouver for this year so if no team wanted his contract, Vancouver could only cut him. And the options were likely limited to West teams like San Diego, Colorado and Calgary. The Seals signed Dan Dawson for their right side and I think Duch would be a better alternative than Dawson. But maybe the Seals didn't want to meet the asking price for Duch.

10. I wasn't sure how to feel about Rhys Duch signing. I mean, dude is a legend, but had been looking more and more past his prime during the last two seasons with Vancouver. Gotta admit though, seeing him at training camp with the Roughnecks and at the preseason game, he was playing like a man on fire - guess a little pissed off about something1

11. unspoken

unspoken Member

He definitely looked better than last year in the game this weekend in Saskatoon. But I do wonder how that will be affected if/when Dickson and Berg sign, because he's not "the guy" on the righty side anymore.

12. AmericanRockFan

This. Like I said earlier, you mean to tell me that Reid Acton is worth a conditional 6th round pick in a 9-team NLL, but Duch isn't worth that in an 11-team NLL? :confused: Using the Reid Acton-meter, Duch should've been worth at least a conditional 6th round pick in the next 8 consecutive drafts and then some.

13. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

So Curt Malawsky was on the Lacrosse Classified podcast this week and Duch came up, apparently before the CBA stuff went sideways Calgary and Vancouver were working on a deal but Duch's contract was an issue, and then once the CBA went bad that deal dropped out, and it led to to Vancouver just cutting Duch and Calgary jumped on him immediately.

14. chuckster

Ha! :D