Dumb question — but why isn't the NLL season over the summer?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Aug 12, 2018 at 3:54 PM.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I know it would overlap with the MLL, but the summer just seems so empty sports-wise. What else is going on, besides baseball? I'm starved for something to watch during the NBA offseason.

2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Conflicts with MLL and major summer league Canadian box leagues. Money in the NLL isn't enough to.counter that.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

who tf in the Northeast wants to watch live sports inside on summer weekends?

attendance and viewership would be even shtttier than now

BanditsRock11 and Hollywood42 like this.
  4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

This. It's indoor lacrosse and when you're in a place like Buffalo, Rochester, Toronto, Saskatoon, Calgary, etc., people generally want to be outside when it's warm.

With that said, I love going to watch a summer indoor game once in awhile at Six Nations, Oakville or Brampton. But to do it every week in the summer would be a bit much.

5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

It’s a cold miserable winter on the jersey coast
    I have no interest in indoor sports while it’s nice out

6. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

It should be much easier to get a legit TV deal in the summer but it will never happen, nor should it.

7. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I don't know. Seems like a missed opportunity. But I guess that's just me!

8. Hollywood42

Not only would it overlap with mll season but also Canada summer league as stated which a large portion of nll players play In

I don’t even agree with starting before the new calendar year

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The MLL couldn't get one for the regular season this year. They've had them in previous seasons but not this year and maybe not even last year.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

While you are probably correct, I would be one of those people. Why? Fun outside of home that involves air conditioning. (BTW, the older you get, the more you like heat and air conditioning.)

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

In a nutshell, it's primarily what Swami says:

The NLL does not pay enough to be a full-time job so NLL players who desire to continue to play in the summer either play in the MLL or in Canadian Lacrosse Association Senior A leagues (= MSL, Major Series Lacrosse in Ontario and WLA, Western Lacrosse Association in BC). BTW, I believe that you can stream CLA games. Right now, the MSL playoffs are going on. The Peterborough Lakers are looking to repeat this year with the Mann Cup (the Best-of-7 Senior-A championship series between the WLA champion and the MSL champion) being hosted by the MSL team this year.

12. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Obviously circumstances are different, but the WNBA is indoor and plays in the summer. Just from looking at the stands in game clips, it looks like the Connecticut Sun do significantly better than the New England Black Wolves.

13. swami24

CT is all about women's hoops. UConn women fill the XL center with old people whenever they face a good team. The crowd is predominately over 50.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yesterday's game had an attendance of 7,687 which had to be near a sell-out if not an outright sell-out. The Black Wolves couldn't ever get that simply because there are more seats for basketball games than for NLL games.

The Sun are more established (first season = 2003) and their games are on TV locally and on ABC/ESPN as part of their WNBA coverage.
    Sun are also decent this year being over 0.500 which is unusual; they usually suck.

Black Wolves actually do rather well with their average attendance increasing.
    http://pointstreak.com/prostats/attendance.html?leagueid=230
    2015: 3,914
    2016: 3,751
    2017: 5,402
    2018: 5,557

By comparison, for those same years, these were the Sun's average attendance:
    2015: 5,557
    2016: 5,837
    2017: 6,728
    2018: season in progress
    Over their entire history through 2017 in Connecticut, the average Sun attendance is 6,887.

15. Hollywood42

Good stats however Mohegan seats 9,323 for sun games don’t forget they have to roll back the lower ends for black wolves games to fit the field

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yeah, thanks. I didn't have time to do further R&D. So, a good stat to analyze would be "Average % Capacity".

So, just looking at the most recent averages...

According to Wikipedia (which I did not verify), the capacities for Mohegan Sun Arena are:
    Basketball: 9323
    Lacrosse: 7700

So, the NEBW 2018 average % capacity is 5557 / 7700 = 72.1688312%
    The CT Sun 2017 average % capacity is 6728 / 9323 = 72.1656119%

Wow! Practically identical with the Black Wolves holding an infinitesimal lead that is statistically meaningless.

Of course, the bills get paid by attendance not percentage capacity...

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'd watch too, but, categorically, the suburbanites are simply NOT pouring into the city on a summer Friday or Saturday for pro lacrosse......and that would apply even if CLA wasn't going in those suburban centres.

18. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't follow the NLL as closely if it were played in the summer time, but that's more because I'm a baseball fan. It has nothing to do with me not wanting to be indoors on a nice summer evening.

19. swami24

To be fair, Tofubomb, I used to ask the same question, but have backed fully off.

20. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

it would be fun to tailgate though

RockStar likes this.