Edmonton/Halifax/Philly/Miami Possible Expansion--Tweet

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Rick716, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

2. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Yes. It's on page 2 of the Alibaba billionaire thread.

3. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

I can't even fathom how Halifax could even remotely be considered for a team.

4. The Wack

The Wack Member

I would agree with this but I think we were all saying the when the Rush moved from Edmonton to Saskatoon. Travel wise Saskatoon is a lot better than Halifax though.

Just thinking Halifax is probably easier for most of the leagues players and teams to get to than San Diego at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

best family vacation ever was nova scotia. I would love to head up there for a road trip.

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

In February? I just looked this up, the echl Alaska aces are moving in 18. So if you had SD and halifax, they would be the two most distant fanchises.in any one.pro league.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I could totally see the league giving the Halifax team a home game on a Friday night and the a road game in San Diego the next day....or vice versa. :rolleyes:

dougm likes this.
  8. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Personally, I think Halifax has the opportunity to be like Saskatchewan.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

gotta point. we were then in august.

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

if Halifax is competitive out of the gate and has a fair price structure, it might fly like Sask.

otherwise, it might fly like Columbus....

2/3 of the league's players are from the greater Toronto area and there are daily direct commercial flights to Halifax, 2h gate to gate. Travel is fine for the home team, will suck a fair bit more for teams with lots of West or US based players....they will likely be stuck changing planes in Toronto

11. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

sharks drew decent numbers and then fell off a cliff in year 3 when the buckeyes rolled.

12. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Halifax / eastern Canada is starving for a pro sports team. They have a decent enough arena and half a million people. Not to mention there is the maritime university lacrosse league there.

If they get a team I garentee it will be a similar situation to Saskatoon.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I actually suspect that is so although I would prefer another 3 eastern teams to help with travel. For example, back to Montréal, Ottawa, and maybe Québec City.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think Halifax would support a team but keep in mind that Saskatoon got a team that won the Cup the year before while Halifax will likely get an expansion team. It's much easier to support a proven winner out of the gate.

15. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Excellent point. Now while I'm not going to guarantee that a club in Halifax will work out with 100% confidence, I do think that an expansion club in Halifax would work out better than an expansion team in a larger market such as Dallas, because of the fact that there isn't much competition in terms of sports entertainment in a smaller city like Halifax.

16. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I saw Rocco is reporting the Philly expansion team should be announced tomorrow or the next day, so possibly not a lot more waiting for that.

17. AmericanRockFan

Actually it was Gary who broke the news a while back. I think he said something on Canada Day.

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i figure thay all three teams would be largely staffed with guys that live in the greater Toronto area.......

with that, these intercity distances are somewhat irrelevant except that there's a tiny bit of a geographic rivalry.

19. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

so is today the day for philly?

20. AmericanRockFan

Reportedly it's today or tomorrow.