Enough is Enough

Discussion in 'Calgary Roughnecks Forum' started by New Fan, Jan 14, 2018.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

The Roughnecks came home this weekend after a loss last weekend on the road to Buffalo 13-7. Time to step up and secure a victory at home against another 1-3 team, Georgia Swarm. Up 8-6 at the half and let the Swarm outscore them 9-4 in the second half. The Stealth, who got stomped 24-7 last weekend at home stepped it up in Buffalo tonight and came away with a 11-10 win in OT. So much for all the talk in the paper by Mike Board that the team needed to focus. So, Roughneck fans what's the answer. Now tied for last with the Stealth at 1-4. A bye week coming up and then they face the Rush, Rock and Mammoth. What to do????

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

swarm has the offense so not surprised by what they did. it is the offense that would concern me. dickson, dobbie, berg, digby, cattoni should be putting up more points.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Three second half goals plus one shorty on a broken play.

Will not win you many games in this league.

The real disappointment is that your production falls to half or less in the second half - the other coach adjusts, you and your guys fail to adjust to the adjustment.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

What would the roster look like if you merged the Stealth and the Roughnecks into one super roster?

5. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Nothing wrong with Roughnecks roster. They need a new coaching staff.

dougm likes this.
  6. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

def

7. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

This is Malawsky’s 6th season as HC. His last 3 seasons have been losing records and the team is off to a 1-4 start. The next 3 games will be tough ones and they could possibly be 1-7. At some point the GM has to make a decision. IMHO the players are tired of hearing the same message and doing the same thing game in and game out. The team has 13 games left to make some turn around. Time to let the entire coaching staff go and bring in some new faces.

8. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Who's your replacement? Who is out there available that you could bring in to turn it around? The quick answer is Bob McMahon who is already an assistant and has head coaching experience but you want them all gone.

9. RockStar

McMahon.......or maybe see if Pym is willing to come back for round 2. After what they sacked him for, I am amazed that Malawsky is still the guy.

10. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

McMahon has been an assistant as long, I think. I’m not sure I’ve never seen him utter a word from behind the bench. I’m not for moving him to HC. Would love to hear from all the folks who post who are some up and coming young coaches who could fill the position of HC and assistants. Good topic as San Diego and Philly will be looking for coaching staffs next season.

dougm likes this.
  11. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

always thought philly screwed up wasting matt sawyer as a scout than a coach. why do need to rehire the repeated fired?

12. anaconda

anaconda Member

Looks like Toronto got it right

13. john w

john w New Member

Just throwing this out to stimulate conversation.

A General Manager's accountability is for the quality of the players - Mike Board's legacy goes back to his mishandling of the Shawn Evan's trade and most recently allowing Jeff Shattler to seek opportunity with Saskathewan - no one ever asks who did he think was going to make up the 80 pts a year that came with Shattler leaving the team. SO, if you believe the overall skill sets of the team has deteriorated then the GM needs to be replaced.

A Coach's accountability is for the system and motivation of the team and here we severely lack both. The dressing room has been lost, the team has no personality - it has in effect become a mediocre team. The coach is 24 - 36 over the last 3 years - 3 losing seasons in a row - 1 & 4 with a strong probability of going 1 & 7 - missed the playoffs for the first time in what 14 years and he's still here - unexplainable. SO, if you believe we have a breakdown in system and motivation then the Coach(es) needs to be replaced.

That then begs the question of who should we try to bring in - that one's easy. I want ex-players that bled as Roughnecks. I would try to see where and how to get either Kaleb Toth or Tracey Kelusky as head coach as both have been assistant coaches in the NLL. I would look at Andrew Mcbride for defense and for offense I would try to get Josh Sanderson. I would also look to add to the bench Geoff Snider to install some personality and swagger to this team.

Again, just throwing it out there - feel free to tear apart....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    New Fan likes this.
  14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Kelusky is an assistant in NE so you would need permission to talk to him because he just signed a 3 year extension with NE. Still, I like the idea of bringing him back to Calgary.

I don't recall Toth being an assistant in the NLL before. Where was he?

15. john w

john w New Member

Believe he was with Vancouver last year.

16. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

When was Sawyer a scout for Philly? Was this before he was the Boston coach after Sanderson et. al were fired in Toronto after 2006?

17. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Certainly a bang on review of the situation in Roughneck land. Malawsky is also the Assistant GM and basically runs the entire show. Mike Board seems like just a figure head who could be out of a job if the season continues to deteriorate. Bright GM’s know when to make a change.

Would love to see Kelusky as HC. Would hope NE would not stand in his way if he had the chance to become a HC. Toth was the O coach with the Stealth a couple of seasons ago. He is also the HC and Assistant GM with the Nanaimo Timberman in the WLA. McBride would be a perfect fit for a young D squad. One of the bright young coaches and presently HC and Assistant GM of the Okotok JRA Raiders. Watched his team at the Minto Cup last year and consensus was the team put Alberta lacrosse on the map. Don’t know much about Shooters coaching background.

Now if only changes can be made. Not too late to Turn around the season.

18. RockStar

if McBride was the Okotok head coach, i would shortlist and interview him......that team was right there with both Ontario finalists and BC champ, which, when you get down to it, is a helluva achievement when you saw the first few years of this format not so long ago.

and if i couldn't convince myself to take a flyer on McBride, maybe I would try to hire a HC willing to bring McBride in as an assistant.

19. RockStar

So, Sanderson does not seem to have high level coaching experience, but, he is assistant GM in Toronto, and I figure the worksplit is probably that Josh is the talent spotter / roster builder and Dawick handles the business side of it.

Last year, they took the champs to the wall in the East final, and look pretty good this year.....considering that is a Sanderson-Dawick rebuild starting from the shittiest season in franchise history, you have to think you could do far worse than Sanderson as a GM.

as far as coaching - i have never seen anyone lead guys on the floor at his level, except maybe Dawson.....i think it is in him to be a decent coach if he wants to try it.

20. RockStar

yeah, i think he was there during Lindsay Sanderson's period of being Fritts, Cline, and French's puppet.

probably sacked after Huntley was brought in, and then found the Boston opportunity.