Entry draft -- will it include Austin Staats?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by chuckster, May 25, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/stamper-s-musings-an-nll-bye-weekend-doesn-t-mean-a-lack-of-lacrosse-news/52410

Stephen Stamp -- "The top choices for the entry draft include at least a pair of potential franchise lefty forwards. Either Connor Robinson or Chris Cloutier would have GMs drooling at the possibilities. I've also been hearing that Austin Staats is going to enter this draft, which would force everyone to reconsider the top of their boards. Throw in tantalizing transition talents like Matt Gilray and Ian MacKay and you've got impact players for at least the top half of the first round."

If Staats comes in, do the Wings or Seals take him? I don't see how they couldn't.

Matt Gilray is a big righty defender and played for the Lakers last year on the Mann Cup team. I hope he falls Buffalo's way at #3.

2. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

I’ve seen Staats play. He is a force. He doesn’t really belong in junior still but he just toys with guys out there.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Welp, I regret not seeing OCC play now.....

4. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Might actually be a nice draft for the Bandits it seems. Coming away with 2 of the top 4 players should go a long way.

5. chuckster

Again, if Chugger F's this up, he should be fired and all Bandits fans should get a chance to kick him in the nuts.

6. fandit

fandit Active Member

If Staats declares, I could see a bidding war between Rochester, Georgia and New England for him.

7. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Jesus Christ Georgia's offense if he goes there...

8. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

If he declares, wouldn't he go to either Philly or San Diego? I can't imaging him falling out of the top 2.

9. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Georgia has lots of picks. Get the brothers playing on the same offense.

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Do the wings and seals have to declare whether they want the first pick in either draft, before or after all players declare for the entry? I would assume the winner would pick entry anyway.

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're asking.... but there's going to be a coin flip in Rochester on Saturday to determine who gets the first pick in the draft between Philly & San Diego.

12. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Where is this gonna take place?? They should invite fans to watch.

13. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

The coin toss is at Rochester next Saturday at Game 2 of the finals. As I understand it, the winner of the coin toss gets to pick if they want the 1st pick in the entry draft or expansion draft. Whatever the team picks, the loser gets the first pick in the other draft.

14. unspoken

unspoken Member

You'd think so. The expansion draft is supposed to be July 16 so the winner would have to choose before that, and they entry draft generally happens in the September 16-25 range. There's a bunch of NLL combines happening over the summer so you'd think the deadline to declare would be sometime in August or September.

15. unspoken

unspoken Member

I'm hoping it will be aired. They said during halftime of game 2.

16. swami24

So in my mind, they should make the players declare by July 1, and the winning team declare their option on July 2.

17. unspoken

unspoken Member

To be honest I don't think it matters whether Staats declares or not. Both Cloutier and Robinson are highly touted prospects as well. Both GMs have already stated if they win, they're taking the entry draft pick so must be a decent class with or without Staats.

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

No brainer that they want the entry pick - I think in every year of NLL expansion the top of the entry draft class is going to be a far better score than the best player unprotected by a present team.

19. swami24

I agree that the flip should take entry draft, but they should also know the field.

20. chuckster

They really pasted some teams this year scoring more than 30 goals in some of them. They won 1 game 34-0. :eek:

http://onondagalazers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax

Staats is graduating from OCC with a 2 year degree. I don't see anything saying that he's committed to another school so he could enter the NLL draft this year. If he does, you know the Seals and Pat Merrill will take him at #1 and a young guy like that would love San Diego in the winter.