Entry draft -- will it include Austin Staats?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by chuckster, May 25, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

33-4. 35-1. 32-5. 35-0. 34-2. 30-1. 34-0. 24-5. 23-2. 35-2.

Jeebzus.

2. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

No doubt about that Chuck

3. AmericanRockFan

Just because I'm not sure where to look, has anyone good ever come out of Genesee Community College? They seem to have a good team as well.

4. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

This shaping up good for the Bandits. If San Diego & Philadelphia go offense we can get the two best defensemen in the draft.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Stephen Stamp wrote a mock draft article that contains a scenario with and without Staats in it.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/stamper-s-musings-two-for-one-mock-drafts-considering-the-austin-factor/52577

If Staats (a lefty O) is in, he has the Bandits trading #3 and #4 overall to the Seals for #1 (Staats). I'd rather see the Bandits hold on to #3 or #4 and make a package of Mitch Jones OR maybe Josh Byrne (both lefty O) and one of #3 or #4 to the Seals for #1. The Bandits need defensive help which looks like it would be there at #3 and #4. If you could get Staats and a guy like Matt Gilray or Ian McKay and it would cost you Jones/Bryne and one of your other 1sts, I think I would be good with that. I could also get nudged into throwing in the Bandits 2nd rounder in the 2019 draft. I don't know if the Seals would bite on that but I'd start there and see where it went.

If Staats isn't in the draft, the Bandits should keep #3 and #4 and get both Gilray and McKay. Again, they need defensive help.

6. AmericanRockFan

When does Staats need to declare for the draft by?

7. unspoken

unspoken Member

The biggest problem I see in this is does Buffalo have the assets needed to pull it off?

If Staats really is that special to move up for, my guess would be it would cost more than just the 3 and 4 picks. They only have 3 picks in this whole draft - 3, 4 and a 4th rounder. How are they going to fix their defensive woes and replace what they lose in expansion already? Now they want to have less picks to fill a hole they don't have? The UFA class of D/T guys this year is pretty small and doesn't have a ton of big names on it.

Also, if they give away future picks, they don't have a 2nd or 6th rounder in 2019, but they do have two 4th rounders that year. If the rumors of 3 more teams coming in for 2019-2020 are true, that's more roster players they lose in expansion with few draft picks to recover those losses if they make this trade.

The only way I can see it working out is like you said. They'll have to sell Byrne, or perhaps Dhane or Evans to a pick rich team in order for it to work. And the teams who are pick rich right now - Rush, Roughnecks and Swarm - are already well set up front.

8. chuckster

Buffalo can't give up alot of draft picks in future years for this if that's what the Seals want. But they can give up #3 and a big asset or 2 off the current roster and maybe the 2nd rounder next year to get what is a "generational player" who wants to play in Buffalo. I don't know if that's enough but it's worth a call to Pat Merrill or Steve Govett to find out.

9. unspoken

unspoken Member

That's a thought, but the assets off the current roster would have to be forawrds or Priolo. Whether those assets are worth Staats is the question, especially Priolo since that makes their defense far worse than how bad it already is.

10. chuckster

It definitely has to be forwards which is why I said Jones or Byrne who are lefty forwards and Staats is a lefty forward so Buffalo replaces one with another. I'm sure the Seals would jump at Dhane Smith but then Buffalo's left side is crowded and an aging Shawn Evans is your only go-to guy on the right side.

Removing Priolo from the D is not something I would look to do. I would keep a potential deal with the Seals on the O side of the ball and if I can keep at least #4 overall, take McKay or Gilray.

The main thing is to not repeat the mistakes of the past with the examples being the Benesch and Cosmo trades.

11. LordStanley1893

I agree, I would not overpay for Staats, even if he wants to be here. Certainly if Gilray is a fly in there are questions if he would be playing for the Bandits. Which if there are travel issues, who do we grab besides McKay? Is there another defender worth reaching for at #4? I don't know if I'm even comfortable with Evans/Byrne + 4th for the #1 and a second round pick.

With that said when it comes to Jones & Byrne, you have to look at their future plans. Do they eventually want to go to the west coast as they're both based in BC? San Diego could be a good destination, we're still in a good position but we have to be careful. I don't envy Chugger having to figure out the defense, we have to have a long look at some of the guys we have and ask how many more opportunities do they need to show that they belong.

12. unspoken

unspoken Member

I'd almost say you'd have to leave Jones out of the conversation if the deal involves only one of the two first rounders this year. He's a good player but would he net a top 5 draft pick in a trade with any other team? I'd say probably not. With Byrne you could make it happen.

13. unspoken

unspoken Member

To be clear, I can't say one way or the other if Staats is worth it. I think I've seen him play a total of 2 games.

I also erred in my previous post saying Buffalo didn't have a 2nd rounder in 2019. They have Calgary's. Their own was traded to New England in the Evans deal.

I think the deal is a non-starter though if it doesn't involve pick 3. San Diego can still guarantee themselves one of Staats, Cloutier or Robinson in that scenario. With number 4 they can't. And Buffalo could turn around and trade pick 3 to another team looking to move up who wants the remaining lefty after they grab Staats.

There's so many factors at play to see if this happens though. What do the rosters look like after expansion? Then again after free agency starts. What holes do SD have to fill that Buffalo could provide value to them for? And I guess you'd need Staats to actually declare first.

14. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

Hmmm......off the top of my head, there's a few guys you might have heard of......
    Miles Thompson
    Lyle Thompson
    Randy Staats Jr
    Cody Jamieson
    Syd Smith
    Jerome Thompson (99% sure)
    Of course, #CodyJamiesonIsn'tGoodAnymore! and you did ask for anybody good. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  15. AmericanRockFan

Those guys came out of Onondaga CC, I was asking about Genesee CC.

16. chuckster

I don't know how "based in BC" Byrne is. He's playing for an East team in the MLL this summer and he's living in Buffalo (according to Jack Goods) running camps. I don't think going back West is a need for Byrne right now. Maybe it might be for Jones.

Everyone is saying that Staats is a generational player and if that's true, you have to give up assets to get him at #1. But, IMO, not overpay. The Bandits are in a great spot this year with #3 and #4 overall in the draft and if Staats is in, the draft is supposedly solid in the top 5. So if you could give up a really good lefty in Jones plus #3 or #4 and get Staats AND still get a guy like McKay or Gilray for the defense, I think that's a win.

Now if the price is high, such as Jones or Byrne, and Evans, and #3 and #4 AND top picks in future years to get Staats, then I'm not sold on it.

17. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

An old ownership Wings move would be the #2, next year's 1st and their first in the expansion draft. All Staats has to do is say he doesn't want to move or fly in to the west coast. Hopefully he has never been to SD...you know it could fall into the ocean some time....

fandit likes this.
  18. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

This is the key. They paid a fortune for Cosmo and got just an average goalie. I don't want to see them give up Byrne. When people use the term "generational talent" they sometimes forget about the rest of team. You can have Staats and still be giving up 16 a game with weak D and a questionable Buque.

The Sabres and Oilers have supposedly "generational talents" in Eichel and McDavid--the Sabres were dead last and the Oilers no where near the playoffs again.

19. LordStanley1893

Agreed, offense is not an issue for the team. We don't have to overpay for offense. I'm surprised by how undervalued Jones is on here. He was 16th in league scoring, more points than Ben McIntosh, Crawford, Crowley, King, Staats, Small, etc. Only 6 lefties had more points than him.

20. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

McDavid had 108 points though 6 more than giroux who was second
    So it’s not like he sucks
    Eichel however isn’t in the same breathe has him
    Both teams just suck