Esports league

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by swami24, Jul 31, 2018.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

The Overwatch league, an esport, had its biggest event recently at the Barclays Center. They sold out 20K plus tickets, and it was on ESPN. I bring this up, wondering what that kind of turnout means to traditional minor league sports, or even what it speaks to major sports.

The current young generation plays sports, but exponentially, more play video games. Kids that play a sport will follow it. They will also be likely to become fans if a parent takes them to pro games. But are we facing the elimination of the casual fan, who might see advertising and opt to go to a game on a whim? Heck, that is how I became a Wings fan. I am thinking the young generation is very unlikely to leave home for a random live sports event.

Marketing sports like the NLL will be a real challenge in the future.

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

It means the 20,000 they were there was the fan base because tv ratings were below infomercial viewership

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It always has been......there's nothing new with that.

4. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

I turned on espn and saw it was on and couldn't believe it. July is just a graveyard for sports.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

there are actually a lot of summer sports options in Toronto, but, only two that I give a fig about - Canadian lacrosse, and rugby league.

in years past, I might have been a bit into CFL, but, the home team sucks, and the live experience is depressing like 2009 Rock

6. swami24

July being a graveyard is definitely true, and to think... the MLL couldn't stay on ESPN in the summer.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  7. MLL couldnt stay in Toronto, or Hamilton for that matter.... that was depressing. I had tickets to the inaugural season of the Toronto Nationals and followed them when they went to Hamilton, then they left for Florida and weve been without ever since.

sad really

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The attendance situation with the MLL is sad.
    At some point, really, the NLL owners ought to outright buy the MLL and market it and support it appropriately. Be the Amazon of North American professional lacrosse.

This would benefit NLL/MLL owners:
    1. Owners having a longer window of lacrosse income.
    2. Owners would be better capable of making marketing or broadcasting deals.
    3. Players would benefit since owners would be capable and desirous of giving players year round contracts as they play for the NLL in winter and MLL in summer.
    4. As owners grow and stabilize the sport, it helps provide a buffer against income loss due to labor strife in the NHL (or other leagues).

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's really a shame that the NLL and MLL can't seem to properly co-exist.

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

If not for the stadium situation after year one, I bet the Toronto Nats would have survived at least as well as, like, a Rochester - several years worth, and maybe a second chance.

The crowd was full of paper tickets, but, the truth was that as many as 5K gave enough of a **** to show up and use the paper. Many of those folks could have been converted to occasional to semi-regular $20 to $40 per game patrons at BMO if they were weaned off the freebies.

Unfortunately, the "cachet" of Lamport field is not sufficient to support a $20+ league......(unless you're in the second tier of UK's Rugby League......Wolfpack are drawing 7K ish.

The sport is entertaining, and folks love a winner, but, Wolfpack is seriously "overqualified" for that league, so the games are actually fairly boring. I will be looking at ticket packages if they get promoted to the top loop next summer.)

11. dual ownership could also get rid of the overlap that causes some players issue with playing in both leagues simultaneously

12. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I paid for a game a BMO and enjoyed it. It was a great facility then (looks even better now), sight lines are good and the views of the surrounding area are nice.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, but that is an important corollary that you bring up that I had not mentioned.
    A steady (more-or-less) year-round lax income from a single employer is something many of our guys would love, I bet, ALTHOUGH....

One has to wonder about the nature of teams... One cannot imagine that the players in an owner's NLL team are completely the same players in the owner's MLL team. That would adversely impact the GMs for each team. In this case, maybe the MLL teams would have single-entity ownership... I don't know, but it is an interesting concept.

14. wingsfan20

wingsfan20 Guest

More background on the Overwatch league:
    • This was the leagues first year
    • Each of the twelve teams’ owners paid $20 million dollars for their franchise
    • Owners include: The Kraft Group (New England Patriots owners), Comcast Spectacor, Kroenke Sports & entertainment
    • 2 new expansion teams have been announced for next season with a reported fee of between $30 and $60 million

15. swami24

Wow. Had no idea that the buy in was so high and that power owners were invested.

16. wingsfan20

wingsfan20 Guest

According to Blizzard, the games developer and league head, “the estimated global average minute audience across both days of the Grand Finals was 861,205.” They were broadcasted on ESPN and the video game streaming service Twitch.

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

With the growth of e-sports, it's just a matter of time before we are all in the "floaty chairs" in "WALL-E".