Expansion article

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BenMitchell, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Fellow Attack STHer?! OMG. I thought I was the last living one.

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You missed my point.
    To most people, they just don't give a **** about that. You can take a newbie and they will be fine with what is offered right now bexause that's all they know.

3. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

The player base has not grown especially in goalies. The games will suffer from two many teams and not enough skill. Expansion teams next year will not be able to pull much talent from the expansion draft and the unsigned talent pool will be much smaller, Look for more old and slow players to come back after a couple of years out of the NLL. Watch the expansion teams next year get tagged with huge losses at home d/t 3rd string goaltending and old and slow defenders.

4. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

except the new fan bases will be watching their Jr B goalie who can not crack a NLL roster today allow 23 goals to Georgia on week and Dhane Smith scoring 7g 10a the next. History has shown if a NLL team can not be competitive in a new market it is gone in 2-3 years.

RockStar likes this.
  5. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Just like most people do not give a dam about the NLL.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

About those newbs - I took a lot of people to NLL games back in the Rock's heyday......an era that featured an awesome balance between scoring, fighting, and legalized murder on defence.

My guests all had fun, and all would return for occasional games when asked, but, pretty well none of them took initiative to find a game on TV or buy their own tickets.

Now, I get "This isn't as good as I remember it", and, if I ask again, I get "Im kinda busy that weekend"....

so, back in the high years, you could get a certain percentage of action-sport fans interested. Anecdotally, today's game is probably good for a lesser percentage.

That's with nine teams. Go to 16 without making it tough and fast again? Sheeyit, the casual fans will leave in droves

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    MILLwasbetter likes this.
  7. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Back to the days for 40 goals and 24 minor penalties a game one big face off fest. Not great of game flow

8. RockStar

(One other thought that no one else has brought up yet:

More teams means more games, right?

So, I just thought of a thing that is critically important to having decent games and a credible league - a half to two-thirds competent pair of refs running every game.

Right now, it is possible to have four games simultaneously on a Saturday night, so, you usually only have to worry about the 8th to 1oth best ref any given weekend.

What happens when you have to worry about the sixteenth best many weekends, and, sometimes the 20th??

Terrified to think that we may be getting into scary territory when we will sit there and think to ourselves, "Gee, that Sutton guy wasn't such a bad ref compared to this batch of.........." :eek: )

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  9. RockStar

You know it. Cheap goals, cheap penalties, and, a nearly 3 minute media timeout every five minutes of game clock....... It already sorta sucks. I don't want to see it get worse.

10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if the league brings back midfloor play, no worries. a big concern is that teams will go back to O/D since they don't have the horses, it easier to put your best 5 on one end and the other best 5 at the other. its also simpler. but if we can grow the league with more athletic players from the field ranks, it will be fine. if we fill the roster spots with the pylons, the quality will suffer. if you keep it up tempo, you can keep the buzz going all night.

11. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

cheap penalties..i am not looking for the return of the hacks and goons but adding a few more character guys would be nice.

12. RockStar

Today they call a holding penalty if you look at a guy the wrong way.

Need to shove the whistles unless the foul is a legit safety issue, or completely cancels a legit scoring chance.

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

But if you listen to the fans talk about the refs, none of them are competent. So what's a few more incompetent ones, right?? :eek:

There are two Saturdays where there are 5 games on the same day. That's 15 competent floor refs that are needed at once plus 5 more in the timekeepers box. Maybe with expansion, they go back to 2 on the floor?

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Hey, many of us live in the USA and, in the USA, we can snow to Eskimos and elect a sociopathic pussygrabber as president.
    If we can do that, we sell the NLL to anyone.

15. liveone

liveone Member

If the talent dilution caused by expansion results in a 40 goal average per game, I think the best thing they could do is eliminate faceoffs for everything but the start of the quarters or to determine possession if there is a stoppage without it. Just restart with a goalie clear after a short delay (10-15 secs?). This is something already being bantered about for international field lacrosse.

It would, of course, have an impact on current replay rules. Let's be honest, though, the current system sucks all around.

16. RockStar

As a wannabe beer league drawman myself, I kind of like watching the top F/O guys to figure out their dirty tricks.

This said, faceoffs are boring ish for most, and, there are too damned many of them.

I'd favour eliminating them for all but the starts of periods, or inconclusive posession rulings (e.g. refs disagree, ball goes out of bounds off ref, etc.).

Just give the team that got scored on a free clear to their D-zone restraining line.....and have the trail official blow it in as fast as they can fish the ball out of the net and show the official that it is in someone's stick.

Figure most of the time, the scoring team will concede half and just get ready to play D, but, I think it would be interesting to allow a ~2/3 floor press for the late stages of close games.

17. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Vin does his best gmbjr imitation:cool:

18. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

This fell flat the first time you posted it. I thought politics and religion were banned from these boards?

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  19. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Who the hell ever told you that?

Hollywood42 likes this.
  20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

1. No, I've never been banned.
    2. What political statement did I make? Maybe my clause about Eskimos was a bit hyperbolic, but the rest of it is factual.

Hollywood42 likes this.