1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Expansion Draft List

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by fandit, May 8, 2018.

1. fandit

fandit Active Member

I would have preferred to start this thread with some sense of who the GM is/will be, but it is what it is.
    Who do you think will be protected? Post your list, with any explanations needed and let's see how it plays out.

Forwards: Evans. Smith, Byrne, Jones, Durston and FRASER.
    Defense: Priolo, Brownell, Weiss, Harris and DeSnoo (99% because he's a lefty.)
    Goalies: Buque
    Fraser would be of great interest to the Seals and while he may never get a real shot here with Evans and Dhane on the right side, I feel he would have trade value later.
    That leaves Fraser to San Diego and England, depending on his eye, to the Wings.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Who do I think Chugger will protect?

Forwards -- Evans, Smith, Jones, Byrne, Durston
    Defense -- Priolo, Brownell, Wagner, deSnoo, Weiss
    Goalie -- Buque

If I was GM, I would protect the above but Higgins and not Buque.

I think we lose Higgins if Chugger doesn't protect him and either Harris or England.

3. unspoken

unspoken Member

Previous announcements had a limit on the number of forwards each team can protect at 5.

4. fandit

fandit Active Member

Thanks.
    I don't really want another defender or goalie......

5. unspoken

unspoken Member

Well if they don't protect a goalie, maybe they'll pull what New England is trying to do with Callum Crawford. According to a Black Wolves STH in their forum, there was a town hall meeting where Lisk said they will use a protect spot on Crawford even though he's UFA this year. If they protect him and he signs elsewhere, they'll get compensatory draft picks for losing him. Buffalo could do the same with Steenhuis or O'Brien although O'Brien would likely net not as good compensatory picks if someone else did sign him and Buffalo isn't as bad in need of picks as New England is.

The other question mark with Buffalo is how does a guy on a hold out list affect his status of needing to be protected. I'm looking at Alex Kedoh Hill. What's his status for next year, does he need to be protected?

6. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

New England’s gonna get some picks when Crowley is traded to Philly
    I wait

7. chuckster

Shanahan and the guy that does Twitter play by play said that Crawford was signed to an extension when Buffalo traded for him. They could be wrong about that but they said it a couple of times on the last NE Twitter game of the week.

I highly doubt San Diego or Philly pick Steenhuis or O'Brien off an unprotected list. There would be a good chance that Steenhuis would just retire instead of the travel and both teams are likely to get better defenders than O'Brien. Who knows what Kedoh Hill's status would mean in an expansion draft but I doubt Buffalo protects him. Again, the Seals and Wings likely get better players who are also committed to playing and Kedoh Hill wasn't committed.

8. unspoken

unspoken Member

Unless he's franchised by New England, Philly will have no need to trade for him as he can sign there in free agency if he wants. New England would still get draft picks in thst scenario.

9. unspoken

unspoken Member

Interesting. I follow all of the teams on various social media and don't recall seeing that. The NLL transactions page has nothing on it although they don't mention the Evans/Crawford trade in the first place. You'd figure the Wolves would have mentioned that as part of the deal. According to the transactions page, they did sign Johnny Powless to a one year deal after trading for him. Maybe a cap issue? If that's the case then they maybe did that with Crawford too. A reworked deal for just this year. I'm speculating but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibilities.

I'm just going off of what was said by "liveone" in this thread a few weeks ago:

http://forums.ilindoor.com/threads/how-much-trouble-is-this-team-in-moving-forward.321790/

Unless he meant Crowley instead of Crawford, this would hint that Crawford is still a UFA this year. But who knows.

With respect to Steenhuis and O'Brien, I agree with you unless maybe they want Steenhuis as a mentor/veteran leader to all their young draft picks. But if he was taken in the expansion draft, Buffalo wouldn't get compensatory picks in that scenario. If, like the OP, you have nobody else you really want to protect then it's worth it. I don't see it happening like this but it's an option.

As far as AKH goes, does anyone know why he's sitting out this year? That would be important in terms of protecting him or not.

10. chuckster

I seriously doubt that Steenhuis reports if he's picked in the expansion draft. He's 36 with 6 young kids at home. His younger self would likely love a town like San Diego but I really doubt he would report there. I think both new teams go mostly young with guys willing to travel or relocate. Philly might draw a vet or 3 who live on the East coast of the US but the Seals could have a harder time with that.

I think AKH had personal reason why he didn't sign. I believe Chugger offered him a 1 year deal and AKH refused to sign it. But there's likely more to the story than just that. Besides, Chugger took guys like Martin and Fraser who could grow into the transition role that Hill was doing.

11. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

He was drafted by a west coast team in the MLL but refused to report when he was much younger with 75% less children.