Expansion draft projection article

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BigDave, May 3, 2018.

1. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Thanks. It's a great read.

3. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Still has the Bandits having Crawford. Older article I would assume.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Also has Dan Dawson with the Hawks and Dan Taylor with the Rush. The article date is February 20, 2018.

They have Callum Crawford as a UFA but the announcers on the last Twitter game of the week of NE vs. Swarm said a couple of times that Crawford was signed to a long term deal when the Bandits acquired him. That was news to me when I heard that......

5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

He signed a 3 year deal with Colorado in 2015 which covered the 16 17 and 18 season so unless chugger extended him then the great Brian shanahan is incorrect

6. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

It is a well done article but is from February, so that is why some of the player info is outdated.

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

NBW will be challenged as lots of UFA / RFA come up.

8. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

9. swami24

Wow, that is a lot of detail and great info. Thanks.

10. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I would definitely scoop up both picks from sask, and try for Calgarys goalie,

Lots of talent exposed in the expansion draft!

11. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good article, and I have to agree with his predictions for the Rock's protected list, but I'd rather see McArdle or Kri protected over Hostrawster. In regards to keeping Gamble unprotected, I wonder if that has to do with his work commitments. If Gamble is skipping out on 2019 in favor of the working world (which I have no problem with, because we all have our own priorities) then I'd leave him unprotected. If he might be back in 2019, I'd like to see the Rock hold on to him.

12. chuckster

According to the projection, Rochester won't protect Vinc and he's a UFA. Can SD or Philly pick him in the expansion draft? I think if Rochester signs him, he would go on the protected list. Could Philly pick him and then trade his rights back to Rochester for more players or entry draft picks? The new teams are only getting 9 players for their 20 man rosters so they have to make up alot with free agents and the entry draft. That seems like alot to me to make up on their own.

They have Higgins and Fraser getting picked from the Bandits. While I agree with Higgins (to Philly) , I think that England (if his detached retina is healed) gets picked over Fraser. I can see Scigliano going to the Seals.

13. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I feel like if an expansion team takes a UFA, they'd only have his rights for a certain amount of time before he could just go back to where he came from. Thus, I think the Knighthawks would be dumb to trade back for Vinc (even if it's just a conditional 6th round pick) when they could just wait it out and re-sign him later.

14. unspoken

unspoken Member

If Vinc isn't protected, yes he could be taken in the expansion draft. But it's risky for the expansion team to do so. Players become UFA at age 30, but at 34 they can reject the franchise tag if they want. Vinc is older than 34 so Philly/San Diego would have no ability to guarantee they retain him. They probably could trade his rights after drafting him on July 16, but what team would bother when they could just sign him outright on August 1?

They could theoretically draft him in the expansion draft and then let him sign elsewhere, leading to them getting compensatory draft picks for losing a UFA. But those wouldn't come into play until the 2019 draft at least, which doesn't help them build a team for their first season.

15. swami24

I think all sports you technically are not taking the player, your really are selecting their contract and status. If selecting a UFA in general, you would have resigning rights until the end.of the league year, and compensation picks for losing them if applicable.

In the Nll, will the league year pass before the expansion draft, I assume so. I don't recall them having compensation picks either, so I don't see the benefit over trying to sign him as a UFA.

16. unspoken

unspoken Member

I don't think the league year will technically be over. Free agency has typically started on August 1, meaning the guys who become UFA won't be UFA on expansion draft day which is July 16.

The existing 9 teams will not get compensatory picks if they lose a UFA in the expansion draft. If you take a situation like Vinc though, if he's unprotected and gets drafted by an expansion team, then decides to re-sign in Rochester anyways, the expansion team would get compensatory picks since they lost a UFA (even one that never played for them).

A Black Wolves fan posted in their forum a few weeks ago about a meeting with season ticket holders and team staff, one of the staff being the GM. The GM talked about how they would protect Callum Crawford even though he's UFA this year. Basically the explanation was that if he's taken in expansion, they don't get compensatory picks. If he signs elsewhere in free agency, they do. And their picks the next few years are pretty scarce.

17. swami24

Thanks, that is how compensatory picks work, didn't know the NLL had them. But an UFA goalie in his 30s is still a risky pick, but worth a late choice I guess

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

If you can satisfy yourself that Vinc will report and sign, he's a worthy pick. Still a top 3 in this league, and, the dropoff to 4 and 5 is pretty substantial.

Anything else is a gamble....you're better off taking an NLL worthy player than waiting for a second? round draft pick or two a year later.

19. chuckster

I know I gave Vinc as an example but let's be honest.....at his age and living in St. Catharines he's not leaving Rochester. And Styres will find some way to protect guys he wants, find some obscure list to stash other guys on, let it leak out that other guys may have "serious" injuries that will scare SD or Philly off, and expose other guys who are older and UFAs who can "work" the system so they don't get picked. Besides, Govett and Day are smart guys who have been around the league a long time so they know how this all works. They should build their teams with alot of young guys who can make the travel or relocate easily.

20. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

remember how tom ryan screwed us over drafting ufa jake bergey. we paid a king's ransom to retain his rights.

swami24 likes this.