Expansion Draft Rules from State of the Union

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Rick716, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I though this might deserve its own thread as I didn't see it covered in the Mid-Season State of the Union thread. Here's a summary of the commissioner remarks on the expansion draft procedures:

• Coin between expansion teams: winner gets choice of 1st pick in expansion draft vs. 1st pick in NLL draft
    • Current teams can protect 11 runners or 10 runners and 1 goalie
    • Up to 5 offensive runners that each team can protect
    • Both expansion teams will select 1 unprotected player from each current team
    • Each expansion team will have an additonal selection at the end of rounds 2, 3, and 4.
    • Expansion teams to select before current teams each round. They will alternate who picks first each round

2. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

How does the NLL define offensive not uncommon to use younger offensive talent as defenders at beginning of career are transition guys O or D at times Buffalo has had less than five "defenders" on team other teams have had less than 5 "forwards". A league which has no regulation over what players are classified is going to have a real hard time defining "offensive runners" a position no team has ever classified a player as.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i had the same thoughts a while back. If I want to protect my six or seven best attackers, some of them are going to become D/Ts.

4. RockStar

and, there is no mention about whether you need to protect un-contracted free agents......particularly for UFAs, you shouldn't have to. They earned their freedom

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

All I know is that Tom Schreiber, Adam Jones, and Rob Hellyer are some damn fine offensive minded defensemen :)

RockStar likes this.
  6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I posed that question awhile back.....where do Transition guys go? Offense or defense? I bet there is more detail that needs to be worked out.

7. RockStar

League meeting at the best strip club they can find near Conshohoken PA.....they need more cocktail napkins to amend their constitution.

8. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

I KNOW A PLACE NEAR ARDMORE IF THEY WANNA INVITE A FAN TO THIS MEETING.

RockStar likes this.
  9. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

So I'm unfamiliar with how other expansion drafts have worked in the past. Can expansion teams trade their picks to another team for the rights to a protected player?

10. Corporal

Corporal Active Member

Looking back on past expansion drafts going back to Minnesota in 2004, expansion draft picks have not been traded to existing teams for them to use in the expansion draft itself. Also, if two expansion teams are drafting, I can't find them trading picks in order to jumble up the order in the expansion draft.

However, immediately right after the expansion draft ends, and I mean immediately, the trades come in fast and furious.

http://www.swarmitup.com/SwarmDrafts.htm

11. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Boston may have traded expeansion picks in 2008, but a search says no. Trades came after. Consider side agreements can be made and finalized after a player is picked.

12. RockStar

The agreements happen all the time.....There were a number of cases where I can remember an expansion team picking a player only to trade him back for, like, a draft pick and another player.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. That is technically vague and I don't think the distinction is in the rule book.

RockStar likes this.
  14. RockStar

possession defines offence and defence roles in NLL.

all players are both offence and defence at selected times.

if the league has not published agreed-to criteria, or otherwise secured an "I promise not to be a dick" statement from each of the GMs, I cannot wait to see what sort of tomfuckery that the roster list gamesmen of this league come up with ;)

Styres is a master, Wish Kilgour was still active

15. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Rosters have players assigned positions. The question is when is that locked in for the rules of the expansion draft. Can a GM take a player who has been listed as a forward and then a day before each team's list is submitted to the league make that player a defender? A guy like Curt Styres can "promise not to be a dick" but we know he will do whatever he can to manipulate things including stashing players on PUP and hold out lists where 1 week a guy is a hold out and then all of sudden, he's not.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't an exemption for 1st or 2nd year NLL players like the NHL did when Vegas came in to the NHL. But, then again, this is the NLL and they don't always do things that make sense. :rolleyes:

16. RockStar

Yeah, I had always thought this was for the benefit of the fan that has never watched a given player closely, and, at the team's sole discretion.

Just re-title everyone to "midfield" after the season is over, and protect whomever you want :D