February 20th vs. Boston pre-game

Discussion in 'The Hive Forum' started by WildHeadTatt, Feb 9, 2009.

1. WildHeadTatt

WildHeadTatt Active Member

Since this game is on a Friday there's not going to be an organized pre-game. Some people find it a little too difficult to get off work and then make it to the arena.

If anyone does want to get together, I would suggest heading to the Iron Range Grill which is located inside the Xcel. They are usually open at 5:00 pm before Swarm games.

2. RockyNY

RockyNY New Member

This is great idea. After my friend and I go to Mall Of America on April 18, before the game. we could go to that place. However, I will have 7 years old boy with us.

Is he allowed to go inside that place? Do we have to be over 21 years old to go inside that place since alcohol will be involved in this?

Roy

3. heather8875

heather8875 New Member

You can bring a child to the Iron Range Grill and to Headwaters. I'm pretty sure you can get in even if you are under 21.

Just about any other "bar" around the Xcel Energy Center will allow kids as long as they are with adults (21+) - before the game for sure, some are a little more picky after the game.

4. RockyNY

RockyNY New Member

Im not concerned about me and my friend since we are over 30 years old. We are concern about 7 years old boy that is coming with us. Hes my friend's son so we are going to have guys night out.

He had so much fun with us when we took him to Twins baseball game. He was complaining at the end, that it was so loud, at the Metrodome. What can we do when one Twins player hit grand slam home run to come back and beat Detroit Tigers? What can we do? We cant control fans reaction to it.

I know it was so loud that I felt like Im hearing person.

Roy

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Mall of America isn't close to the arena though. It's in Bloomington, right?

6. apetz1

apetz1 New Member

Its about a 20-25 minute drive (or so). Actually really easy to get between the two.

7. WildHeadTatt

7th. Street (also known as County or State Road 5) which runs past the Xcel will take you all the way to MSP International Airport which is just a mile or so east of the Mall. Really easy to drive between the two locations.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Geez, I wish I knew that when I was in STP.

9. WildHeadTatt

What route were you taking?

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Uhm, I'm coming from Rockford IL, so I just hop on I-90 going north.

Now, the first time I went to the Twin Cities, I took I-90, but then took I-94 at the split in Tomah WI. This takes me further north past Eau Claire WI and directly into Saint Paul MN. I arrived late on a Friday night with the game being on Saturday. I went back to Rockford reversing my route that Sunday.

The second time I went, I left on Saturday, the morning of the game. I stayed on the I-90 at the Tomah WI split passing through La Crosse WI which, according to XcelLax, actually is named after the sport! Once I crossed the frozen Mississippi River, I went up the river road US Highway 61 (revisited, ha ha) and, again, drove into Saint Paul. When I went back to Rockford, I drove down that highway that passes Rochester MN. I then got on I-90 and basically backtracked.

In all trips, I never was in Minneapolis nor Bloomington; I just went to Saint Paul and the game. Sadly, I haven't had much time to explore which I really want to do. I knew that MOA was in Bloomington, but I didn't realize that getting on 7th Street was all that was necessary. Sh!t, I would have done that the first Saturday I was in town when I did have some time to kill.

11. heather8875

heather8875 New Member

It's pretty easy, so maybe next time you'll have to try it.

Just hop on West 7th by the X (heading West) and stay on it until it turns into MN-5, then follow West 494, then take the exit on 24th St/Ave. (I can never remember if it's Street or Ave - but it's right by the airport.) That route takes probably 25-30 minutes from the X, but it's also the easiest for someone not familiar with the area.

12. apetz1

apetz1 New Member

I would actually recommend taking Shepard Road instead of 7th... its faster without the stoplights and ends at Highway 5 (at Bucca's).

13. heather8875

heather8875 New Member

True, and that's how Dave and I usually come in/out (we live in West Bloomington). However, Shepard Road is kind of hard to find for some people, and (especially in Vin's case) West 7th is more familiar because the X is right on that street.

14. Laxwizz

Laxwizz Active Member

What? No more tailgates?

15. WildHeadTatt

We had some issues with the parking lot management last year. Long story short, we were told by Swarm management that we can tailgate in that lot again but none of us really feel comfortable going back. Some of us spent $20 per game to park in that lot just so we could tailgate. I can park on the street for free so why give them our money if we are not welcome.

16. Niknak

Niknak Active Member

Plus, the way the weather goes around here, we'd probably only have like 2 weeks of decent weather anyway!

17. WildHeadTatt

I wasn't bothered by the weather. There were a couple of tailgates where the temperature was probably 10 below and the grill was still going. There were some people who didn't like it and sat in their car the entire time.

The weather did affect the number of people that did attend though. We usually had about 10-15 people at the tailgates. Now that we have been gathering indoors we have 30-40 people.