Final Draft Thoughts 2018

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by fandit, Sep 24, 2018.

1. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

Jack Goods article in the News has Chugger saying he doesn't think he will trade up or down. It also says if one of the top 2 (Staats and Cloutier) falls he will jump on them.
    I get MacKay, Ritchie is his coach and he's a lefty. Seems a done deal.
    Stamper is saying Gilray's value to Buffalo would be trade bait.
    Does Connor Fields, from East Amherst, warrant the 4th pick?
    Has Staats told teams not to take him? And Chugger knows it. Would LOVE Staats 3, MacKay 4!
    Or is it just a blockbuster trade after Staats first overall and Gilray 3 or 4 with other pieces thrown in?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

If Staats is as good as advertised, the Seals will do everything they can to convince him that San Diego is a good place to be for the Winter. I can't see why he wouldn't go there and want to be THE guy.

MacKay and Gilray will improve the Bandits where they desperately need it. Taking anyone but them would make little sense.

Connor Fields is a feel good pick but there's no need for him on the Bandits.

3. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

If you want some reading prior to tonight's draft, here's my story Fandit is referring to about Dietrich's plan.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/24/buffalo-bandits-national-lacrosse-league-draft-2018-conor-fields/

I also have a Connor Fields-centric story in today's paper as our main lead-in to the draft. He's had a crazy year fighting through injury, so I was really excited to sit down with him and look back on it.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/25/national-lacrosse-league-draft-2018-connor-fields/

Also, my current contract at the News ended last week, so, for now, I won't have any new stories on there. Two things on that 1) I'll have a draft recap and possibly stories going forward in the Niagara Gazette and on their website. 2) Keep reading any Bandits stuff out there. That's the only way we can continue to convince editors it is worth investing in. I don't know where the News is going when it comes to Bandits coverage, but they can't turn away from lots of clicks if the stories get them.

4. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

Steven Stamp says today that Gilray's job at Whittier has been nixed due to Visa problems. That means he is very likely to be here. So, most of the suspense for tonight is gone. It's not real exciting but we need the help defense.

5. chuckster

Gilray was never listed on the Whittier College website and it was confusing why Stamp kept saying that Gilray was working there when there was no record of it. Whatevs. :rolleyes:

If the Bandits are not making a move to get Staats at #1, taking MacKay and Gilray at #3-4 makes the most sense because defense is a big need for the Bandits. Robinson will almost certainly be there when the Bandits pick but lefty O is set with Jones-Byrne-Durston.

6. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Fantastic news for the Bandits about Gilray. Personally I feel bad for him that it fell through, but happy that he could be wearing the black and orange.

7. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Would he not need the same visa to work for the Bandits

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

That's what I was curious about too.....

9. chuckster

It's likely a different type of visa he would need to play professional sports vs. a regular employee work visa like working as a coach full-time in a college.

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that NLL'ers and other pro athletes have a "skilled trades" class of work visa that does not allow them to do other work.

Fair enough, they're already stealing one job from a 'murrican :D

11. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too. It's probably easier to argue that you can't find another athlete to replace Gilray, but whoever gives out the visas could probably argue you could find an equally talented coach within the US.