Final season for the NLL?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by snoopy, Jun 4, 2004.

1. snoopy

snoopy New Member

can someone confirm this for me. i was talking with a old season ticket holder whom does not have there tickets any more because i have them, but they said that they saw on comcast a report that this next season will be the last for the NLL. Is this true? HAs anyone else seen this? He said that is due to lack of attendance. I truly hope this is not the case but I would like this confirmed.

2. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Considering the league says attendance was up this past season, I would doubt this. Of course, there still needs to be a labor contract in place for future seasons to go on.

3. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

WTF?????

Huh?
    No more NLL?
    JJ makes a huge point of the fact that attendance is up over 10 000/gm and they're going to fold the league?
    Sure.
    That makes total sense...
    Snoopy, what was this old dude smoking? Whatever he's got, I wants me some o' dat! :D :drunk:

4. laxdad26

laxdad26 New Member

Is he sure he didn't hear MLL?

If attendance does not improve I could see the rumour regarding the MLL's demise starting, but not the NLL. The NLL looks pretty healthy to me, and with a hockey strike it could be the only game in town in a few areas.

And if they control expenses I think the MLL can exist in its current format at about 3,000 per game for several years, at least. If nothing else, Jake has alot of enthusiasm and energy and could sway others with $ to get involved IMO.

5. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Probably did hear MLL. Take away the game in Seattle and the Boston opener, the attendance so far this season hasn't been too good. Will be interesting to see if the Barrage draw better on Sunday. With an 0-2 record and virtually ZERO advertising, I'll be surprised if the 2300 they announced for the opener is reached for this game.

6. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

Almost didnt have a 2003-2004 season cause of the holdout. Maybe they are anticipating another one.

7. Flea

Flea New Member

You think the MLL sucks? it's still much better than the canadian summer senior A(?) lax that I've seen. The players also seem better. How come the majority of the players refuse to play for the NLL? Is it too physical?

8. Canadan

Canadan New Member

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'll only watch field lax if i'm suffering from insomnia.

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Average Joe Millionaire

Yes the NLL will be ending after this season. But inside sources say that there is a possibility that deadline could get pushed back...:rolleyes: :rotfl:

Anywho...back to seriousness...

Flea, obviously you were brought up with field lax. Personally, I was introduced to the sport through the box version, and can say that I find the field version incredibly boring when comparing the two. The MLL boasts some of the most talented players in the world, and they are the best at their craft. But when you add those players with a field actually about the same (area wise) as a football field...its just not as fast.

Don't get me wrong, I don't turn up a good lax game anytime, no matter whether its field or box. But between the two...being raised on the Wings, I prefer box 100%.

Just wanted to give you an insight as to how someone could think the NLL is better than the MLL.;)

10. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

Nope things are going very well with negotiations.

JJ said..."The league is pleased with how things are going."

PLPA sources said..."We are making some good progress. We still have not started talking $$$$$ yet, but the league has given us the financial books, which we are still going over. We are however working on labor relation issues. The same ones that brought on the strike...."

Should be getting an update on Monday.

11. goddessoflax

goddessoflax Active Member

I certainly must agree with Mr. Hooligan's comments about field versus "indoor" lacrosse. My introduction to the Creator's game came from the Toronto Rock. And the summer following that I went to my first OLA Major game. I now spend 3 or 4 evenings a week waltching that form of box lacrosse...and at all age/skill levels.

The indoor/box game provides an intimacy and connection that is just not there with the field version, especially in the summer with the smaller crowds and the "no-music-while-ball-is-in-play" rule. The sounds of the game and the players give you a true feel of what is going on...from the ball hitting the boards to the stick contacting another player.

As for the physical nature of the indoor game...that is a huge part of the appeal for me. I grew up watching hockey and accept the contact as part of the game. Same with lacrosse, for me at least. Maybe some of the guys just don't enjoy that aspect of the game.

Outdoor and indoor lacrosse are two pretty different games, apart fom the stick skills. And so many of the players who grew up playing one or the other are not able to adapt and learn the other version well enough. And this choice issue also goes the other way. Guys like John Grant, Jr. and Tracey Kelusky are pretty talented field players and yet prefer to play box in Canada in the summer. The lure of the Mann Cup is very strong for young men who grew up in the CLA system.

Having seen a limited number of field games, I can only say that if given the choice, box, or the NLL version of that, would be my choice every time.

12. Flea

Flea New Member

I didn't say the MLL was better than tne NLL. I said it was better than the canadian summer lax that I've seen. I prefer the NLL over the other two versions. My point was that most of the MLL players had far better skills than the canadian box players in senior A, yet there are more canadians playing in the NLL than there are MLL stars playing in the NLL. What gives?
    I find the NCAA game almost as boring as baseball.

13. goddessoflax

goddessoflax Active Member

Not sure who you saw playing summer lacrosse but the Major teams are loaded with NLL players and guys who, if work/school/family/travel commitments didn't interfere, would be playing in the NLL.

As for the other levels of OLA/WLA lacrosse...Senior B, which is the same age group as Major, is improving every season....just a different intensity level and smaller operating budgets. Jim Veltman, agruably one of the best ever, is playing there this summer.

As for the Junior level of lacrosse (16-21...I think)...these are the kids hoping to play in the Majors or the NLL when they are old enough to be drafted. As they are still developing it would be unfair to compare this age group to anyone other than college age field.

One thing that people often forget is that CLA summer lacrosse is an amateur game, for the most part. A lot of these guys grew up playing for home town teams and still do that. There are the "guns for hire" who play for the team with the best "perks". But if you look at the team rosters you will see either home town players or guys who have moved to the area and live there year round.

To comment that the NLL is better than the summer box....personal opinion, I think. But wouldn't it be great to see an NLL Championship team play off against a Mann Cup Champ? Say this year's Roughnecks aginst last year's Shamrocks? Could be quite a game. A team with TK & Kaleb & Teddy D & Lewis Ratcliff & Rob Kirkby & BMac & the Wray brothers with Palidwor in net againt a team with JT & Jimmy V & Blaine Manning & Darren Reisig & Kaleb & Lewis and Dwight Maetche in net. I think, much as I love the Roughnecks, that my money would be on the Green Guys from Victoria and the netminder who spent his whole lacrosse playing life wanting to win just one Mann Cup.

14. laxdad26

laxdad26 New Member

Not to rag on you GOL, but having played both box and field I really, really get tired of reading how the field game is "less physical" than the box game.

Box has a *different* "physicality" to it, yes, due to crosschecks, checking from behind and the odd fight. I wouldn't call that "more physical" than field, just different. And it's all in plain view of the fans, who are not far from the action.

But you have not truly been hit on a lacrosse field until you've been hit by a 72" swinging axe wielded by a 6'5" 230 pounder with room to wind up. Repeatedly. Trust me, I have the broken bones to prove it. Think Tiger Woods winding up with a 1 iron and you get the idea of the stick speed.

IMO fans of the field game are pretty far away from the real action and if you've not been on the business end of the hitting in field it's tougher to appreciate and/or acknowledge.

As for your other comments re: box vs. lax, I tend to agree all around. I'm a born and bred field player and coach, but I tend to enjoy the NLL over the MLL from a pure fan's perspective due to many of the reasons you mention. I would add the fact that in box the shooters (typically) have to be much more accurate than the shooters in field in order to score, and that's a REAL talent that most field players don't master (this is what makes Shawn Williams simply amazing IMO). Add in the working in a small space and it's something to watch, that's for sure.

I am constantly in awe of the accuracy of the best NLL shooters.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Meh, whatever.

Apparently you've never see two of the top teams go head to head.

CLA may be a touch slower and more methodical than NLL, but its every bit as exciting. Strike that, at times its much more exciting (penalty kill, full floor press, and a few other situations). Couple that with more of a "let them play" mentality among the refs, and I actually like CLA better.

As far as level of play - be it not for the fact that the top NLL teams often share players with the top CLA teams, the Mann Cup winners would always give the champions cup winners a game and maybe even win, either set of rules.

16. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Good points, I think being closer to the action and the higher frequency of big hits in the box skews the fan's opinion.

laxdad makes the excellent point that in box, you never get chopped by a 6 foot pole, and its more rare get run over in a huge, open-field hit (there's a reason that all field players where heavy football type helmets and all wear shoulder pads).

Just different physicality, and maybe a little less rough stuff in the outdoor game.

17. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

Field Lax is more of a skill game. You have a lot more room to move, and thus show more skills off. You have more room to work the stick, and legs.

I prefer box. Don`t know if I will ever attend another MLL game. I would rather watch high-school lax. That 2 point line pisses me off big time.

18. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

What if 2018 was the final season for the NLL? :(

19. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Will we be asking this question again in 2032?

20. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

COCKSUCKAS BEEN ASKING THIS QUESTION SINCE 1989.