Game 13: New England Black Wolves (6-6) @ Calgary Roughnecks (4-8) - March 25th @ 9 PM EDT/7 PM MDT

Discussion in 'New England Black Wolves Forum' started by BlackWolves99, Mar 22, 2017.

1. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

Game#13 New England Black Wolves (6-6) vs. Calgary Roughnecks (4-8)
    Saturday March 25th, 2017 9:00 PM EDT / 7:00 PM MDT
    Scotiabank Saddledome - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

[​IMG]

Places to Watch with Others:
    Arooga's - Route 32 in Uncasville, CT
    http://blackwolves.com/view/blackwolves/news-1697/news_373911

Places to Watch Online:
    NLLTV.com (US, Canada, & International)
    Key Info going into Game 13:
    NEW ENGLAND BLACK WOLVES
    Current Record: 6-6
    2016 Record: 10-8
    Playoffs: Lost in Eastern Division Finals to Buffalo
    2016 Plus/Minus: +17
    2017 Plus/Minus: -9
    Last Champion's Cup Title: 2001, as Philadelphia Wings

Top Two Players From Last Year:
    Shawn Evans 50g, 68a
    Kevin Crowley 33g, 57a
    Evan Kirk (2016 NLL Goalie Of The Year)

Top Players This Season:
    Shawn Evans 25g, 45a
    Kevin Crowley 30g, 28a
    Kevin Buchanan 16g, 30a
    Kyle Buchanan 17g, 24a

GM: Rich Lisk (2016 NLL GM of the Year Runner-Up)
    Coach: Glenn Clark (2016 NLL Head Coach of the Year - The Les Bartley Award Winner)
    Assistant Coaches: Tracey Kelusky (2016 NLL Hall Of Famer), Jim Veltman
    Captains: Shawn Evans (C), Brett Manney (A), and Kyle Buchanan (A)

Key losses: F Jordan Hall, D Andrew Suitor, F Pat Saunders
    Key additions: F Reilly O’Connor, D Scott Self, F Seth Oakes, D Chad Culp, D Jay Thorimbert.

Draft Additions: Selected Seth Oakes (Albany) with first-round pick, Selected Doug Jamieson (Onondaga) with second-round pick, and Selected Joel Coyle (Conestoga) with a third-round pick. Seth and Doug have made the Active Roster for the Season.

IlIndoor Preview by Stephen Stamp:
    Given what a strong season the Black Wolves had from start to (almost) finish in 2016, it's easy to forget how much of a surprise it was that they were so good. With Glenn Clark and Jim Veltman joining Tracey Kelusky on the bench, and with Shawn Evans, Kevin Crowley and Derek Suddons added to the roster, the pieces were in place for an improvement, but nobody expected New England to go from 4-14 to 10-8 and a berth in Eastern Conference finals in one season.

That's just what they did, though. Now they have to guard against the backsliding that often occurs the season after a pro sports team makes big gains. They appear to be prepared to continue improving rather than losing momentum. Faceoff man Jay Thorimbert and epic mucker Chad Culp are just the kind of additions that help give a team the depth to go further in the playoffs. Scott Self brings more veteran presence and leadership and Matt Spanger a dose of athleticism and energy to the back end. Sheldon Burns had a breakout season in transition last year and Zac Reid is poised to garner more notice for his tough and reliable defence.

With righty Seth Oakes coming in the first round of this year's draft and lefty Reilly O'Connor (Calgary's first-rounder last year) coming in a trade, the offence should have the depth to overcome injuries or slumps by other forwards. If Evan Kirk can build on, or at least maintain, the play from his goalie of the year season, there don't appear to be many holes in the Black Wolves lineup. The defending conference champion Bandits still constitute a major hurdle to overcome, but New England has to feel confident that it's better prepared to compete with Buffalo for a shot to reach the Champion’s Cup.

Roster:
    # - POS - PLAYER
    2 - T - Hotaling, Ryan
    7 - D - Suddons, Derek
    9 - F - O'Connor, Reilly
    12 - F - Oakes, Seth
    13 - D - Manney, Brett
    15 - F - Evans, Shawn
    17 - D - Reid, Zac
    18 - D - Searle, Derek
    19 - F - Clup, Chad
    21 - F - Crowley, Kevin
    26 - F - Bucktooth, Brett
    27 - F - Buchanan, Kevin
    30 - G - Jamieson, Doug
    35 - G - Kirk, Evan
    39 - D - Ball, Dan
    71 - D - Burns, Sheldon
    75 - T - Thorimbert, Jay
    91 - F - Buchanan, Kyle
    96 - D - OBrien, Bill
    99 - F - Veltman, Daryl

Practice Squad: Joel Coyle, Rance Vigneux, Matt Spanger, and Connor Brown
    Retired: Scott Self

Calgary Roughnecks
    Current Record: 4-8
    2016 Record: 8-10
    Playoffs: Lost in Western Division Finals to Saskatchewan
    2016 Plus/Minus: +0
    2017 Plus/Minus: -20
    Last Champion's Cup Title: 2009

Top Two Players From Last Year:
    Curtis Dickson 61g, 46a
    Jeff Shattler 30g, 57a

Top Players This Season:
    Curtis Dickson 36g, 32a
    Dane Dobbie 27g, 30a
    Wesley Burg 20g, 29a
    Jeff Shattler 14g, 35a

GM: Mike Board
    Coach: Curt Malawsky

Key losses: F Reilly O’Connor.
    Key additions: F Riley Loewen.

IlIndoor Preview by Stephen Stamp:
    2016 was a thoroughly average year for the Calgary Roughnecks. They finished fifth — smack dab in the middle — in the National Lacrosse League standings. They were fifth in goals scored. They were sixth in goals allowed, but just one goal away from being fifth.

Having only changed three players on the roster from last year, how do the Roughnecks expect things to get better? Fair question, but there are reasons for optimism.

For one thing, they have a pair of talented young goalies on the rise. Frankie Scigliano didn't have a great 2016 — posting a 4-5 record and .757 save percentage, 11th in the league — but he is resilient and is coming off an excellent summer in which he helped the Maple Ridge Burrards reach the Mann Cup finals. Christian del Bianco is a star in the making and may be ready to be a franchise goalie sooner rather than later even though he's still just 19.

The right side of the offence is stacked with Curtis Dickson coming off a 61-goal season, Wes Berg poised to be a star after a strong rookie year and Tyler Digby an excellent mix of size and talent. The left side should be much better. Jeff Shattler had the highest-scoring season of his career, but other than that the lefties didn't have a banner year. Dane Dobbie was hampered by injury and produced the lowest goal total of his career. Healthy again, he's a lethal scorer, and a pair of draft picks are ready to contribute: fifth-overall pick Holden Cattoni and Riley Loewen. The former is a Calgary native who looks like he's ready to take on a substantial role right away. The latter is a dynamic player who had a good year with Maple Ridge but was made expendable by the depth in Saskatchewan as the Rush were going to select Ryan Keenan first overall.

So the offence should be better and the goaltending is promising. For real improvement to come, the Roughnecks need to be better than they were defensively. On that end of the floor, the only addition is Chad Cummings. He can help — he's a ball of energy who plays smart, aggressive defence and can contribute in transition — but the real difference will come if the existing core can play more consistently than it did last year.

There is plenty of toughness and talent on the Calgary D, and depth is a strong suit. If you asked 10 lacrosse observers who the Roughnecks best defender is, you might just get 10 different answers. I would tend to go with Dan MacRae, but I wouldn't dismiss arguments for Greg or Jon Harnett, Scott or Mike Carnegie, Curtis Manning or Tyson Bell, coming off a tremendous rookie season. Tyler Burton was a great reclamation project, playing some excellent lacrosse after being signed part way through the season. Karsen Leung has grown as a defender and is one of the most dangerous transition players around. That only leaves Kellen Leclair from the unit, and I'm a pretty big fan; he just needs a bit more time to develop.

So the roster looks pretty good, certainly capable of competing well. One thing that could have an impact on the team's record is luck. Sometimes a bounce here or there is a factor, and the Roughnecks came out on the short end in one-goal games in 2016, where a bounce can be a huge factor. They were 3-6 in such games last year, after going 3-5 in them in 2015 (that includes going 1-3 in OT each season). Simply put, Calgary is due for a few breaks. That may sound simplistic, but in such a tightly competitive league, the margin between Calgary's 8-10 record in 2016 and the 11-7 they would have finished if they were 6-3 rather than 3-6 in one-goal games, can be pretty thin. Coach Curt Malawsky is a veteran who knows that it's not time to panic. He'll be preaching to his team to stay the course and keep working hard. Wins should follow, and with them another chance to make a run in the playoffs.

Roster:
    # - POS - PLAYER
    3 - D - MacRae, Dan
    7 - D - Burton, Tyler
    10 - D - Manning, Curtis
    11 - D - Harnett, Greg
    14 - F - Berg, Wesley
    16 - D - Carnegie, Mike
    17 - F - Dickson, Curtis
    19 - F - Cattoni, Holden
    23 - F - Digby, Tyler
    24 - D - Carnegie, Scott
    25 - D - Cummings, Chad
    33 - D - Harnett, Jon
    35 - G - Del Bianco, Christian
    41 - D - Snider, Bob
    44 - F - Dobbie, Dane
    55 - T - Wilde, Mitch
    77 - F - Shattler, Jeff
    89 - F - Loewen, Riley
    92 - G - Scigliano, Frank
    94 - D - Bell, Tyson

Practice Squad: Garrett McIntosh, Vaughn Harris, Zach Higgins, Tor Reinholdt

2. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Funny, I think of him as a Bandit.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I think of him for this awesome segment on TNA Impact! which almost made him want to fight me at a postgame party in 2013 when I mentioned it to him when he misinterpreted me telling him "that was an awesome segment" as my way of telling him "I think it's awesome you got your ass kicked."

5. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

6. swami24

A rare time I did not mind a long time foil joining my team. Flyers have a history of bringing in guys like Nick Fotuio and Ulf Samuelson that I could not support.

7. Interesting read, thanks for posting. Only thing is talking about Malawsky "Staying the course and wins should follow" -ain't happening, hasn't been happening, needs to be addressed!!

8. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Banned

Word is obrien and searle are suspended tonight along with Dawson and suitor for dead ball fights

9. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

Lameeeeeeeeeeee

10. swami24

Always great to suspend popular players for games for lame stuff. Really helps the fan experience.

11. Well. Searle played tonite in Calgary, and O'brien was there but not dressed to play. Not sure then if Searle appealed then and OB just served his time to get it over, probably thought take chances sitting out against Roughnecks vs whatever team NE faces next.

12. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Banned

I actually attended buffalo at Rochester
    Dawson and suitor played too, I assume they just got obriens out of the way so he's available at home

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Has The Commish come out and actually said that the league is suspending anyone who fights? And aren't most fights dead ball fights? Because if Dan Dawson is getting suspended for 1 fight he's had, then that says something about where the league is going.

14. swami24

....delete.. couldn't link to a toilet flush gif.....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017