1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Game 3: First EVER

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Jun 9, 2018.

1. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

Is it just me or does the Cup look on the small side? It certainly isnt heavy if the commish can hold it with one hand

2. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

I dont trust the numbers the NLL gives either but if you clicked through to the detail it did say over 250k viewers. Dont go by the number on the overlay

3. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Should've gone to Kyle Rubisch IMO. By far the most impactful player from the Rush.

4. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

And woman say size doesn’t matter
    Bs
    That trophy sucks

5. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

I watched the first half, fell asleep in the second half and woke up seeing the Rush hold the trophy.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Well, all of the teams you listed (except Sask) plus Philly and Toronto......and Rochester had an awesome papering scheme going for bigger crowds too.

Doesn't actually matter, I guess. Let's see some real numbers from twitter plus NLL TV and make a call on the potential of this league to grow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I didn't even watch the game. I was at a bar watching UFC 225 instead, but I was checking scores on my phone periodically.

8. AmericanRockFan

I don't think either team comes close to filling the barn anymore, although both still get good crowds.

9. AmericanRockFan

It wasn't even on at the sports bar I went to in Rochester last night, and the game was on local cable.

MILLwasbetter and RockStar like this.
  10. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Correct. Colorado has been trending down, and averaged 14,000 this year. That's really good, but it's still leaving about 5,000 empty seats in the building.

11. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

It's actually kind of nice looking, but it should be scaled bigger--like 2 or 3 times as big. Some around the size of the Price of Wales trophy or the Clarence Campbell bowl from the NHL. Or Mann Cup size. I think they're going for the soccer World Cup idea but it looks kind of underwhelming.

12. unspoken

unspoken Member

I lifted it today and it's actually a bit deceiving in how heavy it is compared to it's look. It's not 100 pounds or anything but takes a bit of lift. The one thing I didn't know before is it's actually a two part trophy. The base with the winner's nameplates is a separate part.

Also, drinking from it is damn near impossible without spilling all over yourself, but there's a few videos out there from last night's celebrations of people using it as a liquor luge on the V-shaped sides. Here's one of the guy who dresses as the Hulk doing it:

https://twitter.com/SkRushHulk/status/1005729191914962944?s=19

13. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

Its's tough to say if the league has regressed or stayed about the same. Certainly hasn't moved forward, yet. Wasn't a large part of the league's "success" from collecting expansion fees, only to see most of those franchises fail? Under Jennings, aren't Colorado and Calgary the only expansion teams to remain in their original market?

Leaving Minnesota was a big mistake imo, hope they can return, I feel the base was there. The stealth are yet again a huge failure. At this point I feel the franchise is snake-bitten. No reason the league couldn't still have NLLTV and Twitter as well as games on a real channel. I often just cruise through the channel guide to find something on, and catch a lot of random stuff. I watched mini soccer the other day, which is outdoor soccer just on a condensed field, it was awesome, never knew about it before. That was on 11 sports network, which may as well be espn8 the ocho. Even if it's a weird channel, it would give the league some credibility. The league had a national deal in the early 90s for Pete's sake.

I think the new ownership groups that the league is attracting are a big deal. SD could be the biggest thing that no one seems to be talking about here. We need that franchise to be a success, not only due to geography, but that type of ownership can draw in more of the same if it is a success. Georgia is a wildcard location, but as we discussed in another thread, hopefully they can draw in some other non traditional markets, which I think they need in order to stick around. Nashville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Dallas, Orlando. I would like to see a few others like Milwaukee, Winnipeg, and Minnesota again.

All in all I would say the league is where it's always been, not in trouble, but not successful either. The next few years should be interesting, lets see if the new franchises can last more than 3-5 years, if league attendance grows or stays where it's at, what player salaries look like, ya know, the same things we've discussed the last 20 years where we thought the league was on the cusp.

14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I look at it in 2 ways, both of which are about money -- attendance and sponsorship. The attendance was virtually flat from last year and the sponsorship dollars at the league level were almost non existent. Look at the ads during the Twitter broadcast for the biggest game of the year......they were all for lax gear or for the league itself. There is more at the team level but at the league level, they have pretty much nothing except lax gear companies and the ref uniform supplier. I think on that level from 2017 to 2018, the league stayed still.

At least the MLL has Coca Cola and Powerade.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  15. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Twitter broadcast is a bust, it does nothing, except for the fact that there were no other options at this time. I hope and pray that the clout of the 2 new owners, and especially Comcast, will get the game on TV . If not on TV, we know at least Wings games will be streaming on Comcast.

I cracked up over the inability to drink from it. You can only drink from Stanley. Is it a cup? Did two girls try?o_O

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  16. RockStar

Back in Jennings, I read that a Rock telecast would get 40K Canadian viewers, and, figure Calgary or Vancouver got half of that. I doubt any of the previous US deals in the last two decades ever got anything much more than that for a regular season game. (Anyone have stats for, say, the NBC championship game? That should have maybe been a theoretical high point in potential audience.)

If twitter really is getting the tens of thousands of viewers that I am hearing, that is actually growth potential like the league never had, even at the high point of the Jennings era.....

If the product continues to NOT be garbage, eventually, there could really be enough ad money to be significant, and, enough interest from wealthy entrepreneurs / big league teams to site expansion teams that have a chance of breaking even.

17. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

There's debate about Twitter getting 10s of thousands of viewers. Maybe they count each time someone goes in and out when the feed craps out.....although, I saw games on Twitter and they were good in not dropping out, unlike what people reported on NLLTV.

18. RockStar

that's what i wonder myself, Chuckster.

i can remember reading hundreds of thousands with the first twitter game, and, that the average stay was estimated at almost 30 minutes.....

that's big-league-sport-in-a-small-market kind of numbers, if you can believe them.

maybe the numbers included the ~8 NSA employees per viewer that are making sure the NLL is not a subversive threat :D

19. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

The numbers are off. The tracker definitely uses the amount of times people clicked the link, that doesn't equal current viewers or even total viewers. Most people clicked the link and moved on to continue wasting their time scrolling on twitter.

I think it is a convenient tool though, if you're staying somewhere that doesn't get the channel the game is on, if you're travelling, or pretty much someplace that doesn't have a TV, then the twitter thing could be a nice tool, but you NEED a TV contract. The nfl and nhl aren't strictly using twitter or online streaming, the only reason the NLL is, is because they cant afford a TV contract, but they say its because they're forward thinking and targeting, you guessed it, children.

20. AmericanRockFan

Didn't a Rock game once outdraw a Raptors game on tv back in 2001?