Game coverage this season

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by gslav89, Dec 4, 2017.

1. gslav89

gslav89 Member

So it seems that our only options this season will be the NLL game of the week game on Twitter AND NLL.TV. Doesn't seem like any other TV/streaming deals will be made this season. Hopefully these two platforms will perform well for us this season.

2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I may actually get the package this year to scout future Wings.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

That's what it was last year, too. The NLL seems to think to that online is the best place to invest their broadcast resources. Maybe when San Diego and Philly start playing next year, the options will be broader. It's a shame they couldn't have held on to a TSN deal in Canada.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I don't really get why a NLL-TSN deal doesn't materialize. TSN has 5 channels and they show the same thing on 2-3 of them at times. It just seems like they should want more variety, because the more variety you're offering the more viewers you can attract :confused:

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Deleted for accidental double-post

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. RockStar

TSN 3,4,5 are not even "real" stations......they are IP only.

for some stupid reason, 90% of the time, they just show exactly the same thing as TSN1.

another pissoff is that their web interface also does not work on my home PC due to some weird restriction (Chrome on Linux).

i am reduced to pirating live sports if the kids commandeer my TV.

7. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

8. The_Vukster

The_Vukster Active Member

So I wonder how the addition of SportsLive is going to work with or conflict with NLL TV? Are games carried on both? Who's going to subscribe to (or purchase games on) SportsLive if most interested are already subscribed to NLLTV? I am thinking that there's hardly enough audience to support one streaming service, let alone two.

9. AmericanRockFan

I'll watch it on whichever platform lets me what the games live and is the cheapest option, which looks like NLLTV since SportsLive is $10/month and NLLTV technically would be like $6.50/month after fees and broken down into 6 months.

10. chuckster

SportsLive also carries a lot of college sports.

http://www.collegesportslive.com/

My guess is that it's $9.95 a month for all of their content, not just the NLL. So if you're a college sports junkie and want to stream that PLUS the NLL, SportsLive is the way to go.

It looks like the NLL is still putting content on Xumo, too.

11. swami24

All the talk of watching games reminded me.of the old days. To track a Wings at.Buffalo game in mid 2000s, I wired an antenna to extend.it out of my basement window for a portable radio, so as to get buffalo's radio feed. I then could hear the game while on my gateway desktop, and this MB. Only way to track the game back then.

12. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Any additional coverage is a net positive, but I still maintain that the ultimate goal has to be to get games on TV. NLL TV is great for us, but we're the hardcore base.

I compare it to the WNBA situation--they have a WNBA League and team pass that is affordable. But they also have (due to the NBA's connections) a national package with ESPN/ABC and games on local regional sports networks (that are used for the the league/team pass. Their attendance is similar to the NLLs (league avg. about 7000). Arena football, MLS, Rodeo, etc. are all on. Eventually, they have to get back on TV in some form to advance.

13. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

The early 2000s were tough. The ESPN package was done, Prime Network from the MILL days was gone and Empire Sports Network shut down in 2005 Empire would sometimes pick up a game. The Bandits radio was sporadic at that time I think, and the web streaming wasn't really good yet (remember B2).
    I remember having to wait for the 11 o'clock news to get the results of a Bandits road game and then wait for the newspaper for the small article ("Special to the News"). Even though it can aggravating when the stream doesn't work right or we get a soft picture from Rochester and New England, it really is amazing how far we've come.

14. chuckster

I agree with that but there is a track record of the league being on TV and if it was good, they would still be on TV. They've been on just about every major American sports network -- ESPN, NBC, NBCSN, CBSSports, Fox, Universal, regional networks, etc. -- and nothing has stuck. It was never clear why they aren't on TV because the history is that it was too expensive or the ratings just weren't there to attract sponsor dollars consistently. Maybe both?

Given how cable and satellite providers are shedding subscribers through cord cutting, the focus on streaming makes sense. If they can improve the production quality in a few spots, they would start looking like a real sports league and could be on the cutting edge of the new frontier.

15. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Calling the box office and posting scores every 30 minutes or so use to be how you followed the MILL.

16. RockStar

it got better after carrying a cell phone became commonplace......chances were that one of the lacrosse-network chat folks was at the game, so, youd get scores at the quarters.

17. AmericanRockFan

I remember having to wait until the Monday after all the games were played before the NLL site would post scores. I think between 2000 and 2006 I saw, maybe, 5 Rock games on tv on DirectTV (I remember watching the 2002 and 2003 title games, plus a random game in 2004 in Philadelphia, the 2005 east division final and title game on NBC that season). I also remember staying up late in January 2006 to watch the Rock home opener against Arizona on Fox Sports Arizona on tape delay several days after the game to watch a game I already knew the score from because it was my only chance to see the Rock on tv that season. That was it until I moved closer to Rochester in 2007 and got whatever Time Warner channel would pick up the Rogers/TSN feed for Rock/Knighthawks games in Toronto.

Needless to say, the current format is heaven compared to the NLL landscape of 12 years ago for me.

Now that I have a SmartTV, I would kinda like to see YouTube streaming happen again so I can watch the games on my tv without the annoying hassle of an HDMI cord.

18. swami24

Big E would call someone and they would post a score. Now That was a social network!

RockStar likes this.
  19. gslav89

gslav89 Member

What kind of content do they put on Xumo? Will any games air on this platform?

20. chuckster

It's archived games and the fluff video content they produce. No live games. But a good place to go back and watch old games, and it's Chromecast friendly so I can send it from my iPad right to the TV to watch on the big screen.