Game Thread: Buffalo at Toronto 12/30

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Rick716, Dec 30, 2017.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am focusing only on 2012 and 2013 as the starting points for the comparison.......That's what Chugger did with what he inherited.

I will agree with you that they maybe pulled the plug on Kilgour prematurely, because, he also showed his ability to rescue a floundering franchise and build a winner.

Three finals appearances, one title, and only one playoff miss in 10 whatever years should have gotten him enough rope to try the 2013 rebuild......but, the 'lawyers' up top didn't like his thoughts, I guess.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

They pulled the plug on Darris because his team tuned him out and stopped playing for him. You could see it on the floor.

3. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

veteran players' need a players' coach. troy is probably the same my way or the highway type that daris was. it is a personality conflict between the coach and the players. a younger locker room is much more suited to a 'you know nothing' kind of coach. as the bandits get younger, I expect troy to run the ship better. but once those kids succeed, troy needs to change. nhl's mike keenan was the best coach for youngsters but he lacked the scotty bowman panache even with 3rd year players.

4. RockStar

Yep. With Darris, they decided to keep the veterans. With Cords, they decided to keep the coach.

Not yet sure which one is 'wrong'. It would be easier for Chugger the GM to fire Kilgour because that was not his guy. Cordingley is his guy.

5. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

We can debate the individual moves, but he has not missed all that often especially in draft with the picks they had (ie there were minimal instances where we did not end up with the best player at our draft spot).

The Bandits have not had more losing seasons with at the helm. I count 3 for him and 3 prior, but records don't tell the whole story. Rochester won a title with a losing regular season and one with a 8-8 record. Teams under Darris were consistent but rarely dominant. Lots of 10-6 & 11-5 seasons, while good we were not an unbeatable team during his reign. Darris was also 1-2 in championship games. The 2006 final was embarrassing and in 2008 we never could really put Portland away (albeit a championship is a championship).

I'll say this too, Darris greatly benefited from a larger league that made it ok to mortgage the future without too many drawbacks. With a smaller NLL there is less room to trade your assets for something else and less opportunity for players to develop. Expansion should help Buffalo by spreading the talent out compared to the loaded teams that have been created with the contraction of the league. At the end of Darris' tenure we were left with a lot of undesirable players to the rest of the league.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. RockStar

To be fair, I am reluctant to count Chugger's first season as one of 'his' losing seasons........Darris had been the GM right up until then, and was still the coach.

Call that Day zero. Chugger Day 1 starts when he hires his own coach.