Game Thread: Toronto at Buffalo 4/21

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Rick716, Apr 21, 2018.

1. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

You’re right. Plus I think there is some good talent here, especially on offense. I think all the coaches have done poor jobs.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a forecast on how John Tavares could do if he were ever named as Chugger's replacement as GM? I know that superstars don't necessarily translate into top tier executives, but given his name recognition and longevity in the sport, I'm just curious if people think he could be a fit.

Obviously I'm grasping at straws here, but I'm just curious what others think.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I would give him a shot as coach. At one point late in the game on the Jumbotron, they showed Troy and JT on the bench. Troy was silent and looked like he was at a funeral. JT was talking to players trying to get them going. That spoke volumes to me......

GM? I don't have any names in mind on who should replace Chugger.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I hadn't really watched a lot of Bandits games this year, but I have to say that Cordingley looked incredibly defeated on the bench last night. I cannot believe how much he's greyed over the past year. Obviously I'm not a Bandits fan, but I think it's in the team's best interest to push him out this off-season.

5. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

Who do you replace Troy with?? Tavares.?? Is he not been on the same bench, room, practice floor as Troy last few years?? Unsure if it’s coach needs replaced as unsure who is there to replace. Maybe Kilgour as defensive coach could be gone??

The issue is we don’t have the players to get job done. That’s on whole office staff. They have made some moves over last 2 seasons that have got things started. Our best case scenario is probably losing next weekend and getting second pick overall. Get another strong young talent that can start the season (as Byrne). Need a couple bigger, stronger defense and another bigger offensive player (we get pushed around both ends too easily)

Also need a goalie to step up. Big Fish, Buque and Higgins need to get better and someone needs to show they are a starter. All have had flashes and look good in summer ball but need to show it consistently through entire game and season

6. chuckster

Yes, but JT deserves a shot as the head coach. Again, from what I saw, Troy looks like he's defeated but at least JT was still coaching trying to get his guys to respond. And maybe JT brings a different mindset to the whole team. Sure, he's part of the same old boys group but for everything he's done for the franchise, he deserves that shot if he wants it.

It also seems to me that Troy toned it down since he was thrown out a few weeks ago. I bet he and/or the team was fined for that and either he felt it heavily in his pocket book or someone higher up told him to cool it.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Day is off the table, but, you have to think Batley's going to be looking for a job after next weekend... :D

I think I would hire from within versus most of what is readily available.

As for the team itself, other than the lower half goaltending, it's reasonably young and, the top 10 will look a bit better against opponents in an 11 team, 13 team, etc. NLL......I'd give Chugger another season of rope, and, let him make the call on Troy.

8. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

The best they could be slotted to draft would be 4th overall.

I think there’s plenty of talent on offense which has been wildly inconsistent and has been going thru long stretches of no scoring. I don’t think goaltending was an issue last night or even lately.

I’m not impressed with Tavares considering how all over the place the offense is, and lots of times down right brutal with very talented scorers.

9. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

If they were to change head coaches, I think you have to go with Tavares if he wanted it. He's going to bring a different temperament (even-keeled vs. amped up intensity from Darris/Troy) and is the face of the franchise. Still, I'm not sure changing coaches accomplishes much. Everyone in the division is separated by about 1 game, and they've all looked good or terrible at different times throughout the season. A team like Vancouver, you have to change everything.

I'm not sure how much is on the coaches vs. not having the talent particularly on defense and goal. There seems to be such a wide gap between the Rush and everyone else, that I'm not sure how you close that gap. They still can make the playoffs and anything can happen.

10. chuckster

I can't imagine any current team taking a shot on a 2-win coach. I could see him sitting a year and then talking himself into a job with 1 of the next 2 expansion teams.

If the Bandits ditch Troy and keep Chugger, I think JT is head coach. It would be a slight on Richie Kilgour who has a solid summer resume as a head coach and also deserves a shot. But I think if they miss the playoffs, JT keeps the fanbase placated.

11. chuckster

And with having VAN's 1st rounder, the Bandits would have #3 and 4 overall in the scenario. That should get them a top flight defense prospect which they really could use.

There have been times where JT hasn't been able to solve another team's D but that happens in this league. Plus, I'd give him a break on this because he had Evans thrown into the mix in mid-season and he's a different type of player than Crawford who JT had to work with to start the season.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

(i was being very facetious when i proposed Batley.....do not see that as an improvement over anyone on the bench right now)

13. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

Richie coaches in Six Nations (with JT) for summer league which is all start team and only competition really comes from Peterborough. I think any of us would be successful coaching that team.

Troy has a wealth of knowledge with younger talent coming up through Ontario. He is heavily involved in high calibre minor and Junior Lacrosse throughout Ontario. That knowledge would be tough to lose and perhaps a focus shift with him to more a GM role and letting Tavares take more of the coaching lead may be the change needed. I am just uncertain if Troy's competitive nature will allow moving from the bench.

As for his temperament - it really is only during game situations where you may see this (again the competitiveness). On practise floor (and I am sure in room) its not as "amped up".

That all being said and as comments above the real issue I believe is the talent we have now on defense/goaltending. The Kilgour years tied our hands in the "draft" area and now over the last couple years we are now able to make some higher picks and that will take some time to develop. If we get a few higher picks again this year and then maybe get a free agent to fill the defensive end we will be alright.

There is nothing you can really do on goaltending other than hope someone steps up and/or with a more solid defense it improves

14. Buffalo Fan

Buffalo Fan Member

First I am a huge fan of John Tavares the player. As far as a head coach I would pass on John Tavares as a potential new Buffalo Bandits head coach he is running the Bandits offense now which is half court instead of running transition the Bandits are slow half court like the 1970's Boston Celtics and I don't see anything really changing with John Tavares the head coach that way. John Tavares the potential new Bandits coach will most likely happen because one it is easy to do that and two it is so PSE, Buffalo Sabres management thing to do style wise. As a Buffalo Bandits fan, season ticket holder since day one I think the Bandits needed to clean house last year with someone from outside the Bandits organization my mind has not change from that thought. That doesn't mean the potential new Bandits coach can't be a former Bandits player but not someone from in this current group of former Bandits players they all have to go if the Bandits miss the playoffs again this season. What is likely to happen with John Tavares Bandits coach is a Phil Housley feel good until the season starts then when John Tavares most likely fails like Phil Housley failed it becomes uncomfortable that the Bandits need to fire a Bandits legend. It shameful how the owner Terry Pegula just doesn't care about anything at Key Bank Center once he acquired the Buffalo Bills the Sabres got Bandits treatment from PSE nothing changes but the year both teams have no defense. How these fools let Billy Dee Smith walk to Rochester Knighthawks while the Bandits had nothing to replace him with shows Bandits management just doesn't understand player value what it takes to win in the NLL in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo

15. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

hire dan teat. he coached jeff really well.

16. chuckster

I still think JT gets offered the job when Troy gets fired. How can they not offer it to him? Housley was a cream puff on defense and as a coach and his team reflects his style. JT was no cream puff and was a fierce competitor on the floor. Maybe JT doesn't want the head coach job but they have to talk to him about it.

BDS was not making a difference as a captain or a player in Buffalo. In Rochester, he doesn't have the pressure to be THE guy on defense and doesn't have to lead the team in the locker room. Plus, he was getting injury prone and has been on IR at least twice in Rochester this year. Letting him walk was not going to hurt Buffalo. Props to the Bandits for the nice video tribute to him this year.