General 2017 Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Milestones to look out for on Saturday night in Buffalo:
    • Jeff Gilbert playing in his 100th game for the Rock, becoming the 12th player to do so
    • Stephan Leblanc (247) and Kasey Beirnes (245) jockey for 3rd all-time in goals
    • Brett Hickey (108) is 4 goals away from tying Dan Stroup (112) for 9th all-time in goals
    • Stephan Leblanc is 10 points away from becoming the 4th Rock player to record 600 career points
    • Patrick Merrill (596) and Kasey Beirnes (595) are 4 and 5 loose balls away from recording their 600th. Only 8 Rock players have recorded 600 loose balls for the club.
    • Brodie Merrill is 12 loose balls away from becoming the 15th player in franchise history to record 500 loose balls.
    • Damon Edwards is one penalty away from passing Rob Marshall for 9th all-time in PIM.
    • Jeff Gilbert is one penalty away from passing Cam Woods for 11th all-time in PIM
    • Tom Schreiber is 8 points from tying Lewis Ratcliff for 19th all-time on the career points list at 96, and would need a 12 point game to become the 18th Rock player to record 100 career points.
    Other Useless Trivia:
    • The Rock are 27-23 all-time in the regular season versus Buffalo, and are 14-12 all-time in Buffalo. However, they haven't won in Buffalo since February 1, 2013 and are on a 6 game losing streak in Buffalo and are 2-9 in their last 11 visits to Buffalo.
    • When yours truly makes the trip to Buffalo to see the Rock, they're 9-3 all-time :cool:

2. AmericanRockFan

3. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Backed into the playoffs....And with a win, might miraculously steal second place, despite a sub .500 divisional record and and a pathetic 1-4 finishing kick .........Stupid league!

4. AmericanRockFan

I feel like someone HAD to have told the Rock that New England lost tonight because as soon as that game ended (Rock Rulz and I were watching that game on his phone) the Rock played like a team possessed and put together quite possibly their best quarter of the season.

Brandon Miller, as far as I'm concerned, HAS to start next weekend. When he came in the game, I felt that the Rock would win as long as he shut the Bandits down, which he did for the most part (and if he didn't shut the Bandits down, he obviously just played far better than Nick Rose did).

Kudos to the 2,000+ Rock fans who made the trip to Buffalo tonight (okay, it was more like 100), and shoutout to smurf666 for making the trip as well (I would've come by and said high, but it's such a clusterfuck navigating from the 300s to the 200s at the KeyBank Center with their escalators and spiral staircase combo).

smurf666 likes this.
  5. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

if I am trying to win next week, Miller gets the start.

6. AmericanRockFan

And also not letting Patrick Merrill take any damn faceoffs.

7. AmericanRockFan

Also, Steph Leblanc must've had the quietest 8 point night in the history of 8 point nights last night.

Plus I kinda wish I kept track of players real time stats during games, cause for me as a Stroup fan it would've been neat to realize Hickey passed Stroup on the goals list with that empty net goal to end the game.

8. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

How is he still on the Rock? Especially now that he's getting old, more injury prone and continues his career long struggles on the dot.

9. TheRockMan

TheRockMan Active Member

rogers will be back in the line up on Saturday, I asked him at the season ticket holder party, hopefully Patrick will be a scratch

10. AmericanRockFan

Now that the season is over, here's the updated Top 15 for each statistical category. For the benefit of those who don't care about stats, I put this in a "QUOTE" box so you can easily skip over it.

11. AmericanRockFan

Also, was Patrick Merrill more of a FOGO on Saturday night? Come to think of it, I didn't really see him on the floor unless it was off a draw (which he actually did win 7 of 13...) or when he went to the box 15 seconds into the game.

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Speaking of Merrills, for all the hype and talk about him, Brodie Merrill has never won an NLL Championship.

13. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

That's usually good news for a D-man........if you notice an individual for anything other than a scoring play or a big hit, it's usually because he's lost his man for a scoring chance!

I did not notice Merrill himself too often, but, the Rock righty D as a whole were struggling in the first half. Benesch and Saunders were making them look awful.

14. AmericanRockFan

Usually, though I do notice stellar defense performances if I'm at the game (it's way easier to notice these in person than on tv). Damon Edwards made a great defensive effort where he stuffed the Bandits' player with the ball (I think it was Steenhuis), ultimately took possession of the ball and went down the floor to score the tying goal in the 4th quarter.

15. TheRockMan

TheRockMan Active Member

it was February 2nd 2013 and yes Matthew if the rock are 9-3 there you need to attend more rock games there!

smurf666 likes this.
  16. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

gotta watch it again....i think Edwards' goal came from Merrill picking off the shot and feeding Edwards

17. AmericanRockFan

Somewhere before the goal Edwards made a stellar defensive effort. He did a great job blocking the forward's lane to the net, then Merrill got possession of the ball and fed Edwards who scored.

18. AmericanRockFan

They're 10-3 all-time now :cool:

smurf666 likes this.
  19. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

d was pretty sweet after the first 22 minutes or so.

feel awful for Rose in a way....Miller comes in and saves it, but, he also came in after the other guys woke TF up and decided they were there to play.

now, the chattering know it alls on FB feel validated after calling for Miller all year.

20. AmericanRockFan

If there's another home playoff game after this weekend, would it be on May 13? I'm going to the Jays game that afternoon and would try to make a doubleheader out of it if it is.