give the NLL credit when credit is due

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BenDMitchell, May 22, 2017.

1. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Ripper is a homer, and has a really abrasive voice.

Driscoll is a homer and sounds like he's explaining tax policy.

Far from my favourite team of broadcasters for pro sports.

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I never gave it much thought about Craig being a homer. He seemed pretty fair to me and knew his shït at least.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Ripper is a swell guy, but I always thought it was weird that one of the people in the front office doubled as the team's announcer.

I remember one Rock-Knighthawks game where every penalty called on a Rock player "could be a five minute major!" according to Ripper when every Knighthawks penalty shouldn't have been a penalty at all in his books.

4. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Despite them having the worst streaming video in the entire Internetworked world, I have watched a lot of K'Hawks homegames over the last several years.

Ripper is enthusiastic, and, knows what he is watching, but, he is most definitely a homer with an abrasive regional accent......

5. unspoken

unspoken Member

The only place I saw it was in the press release for the change in the Champions Cup schedule. It was only for game 2 of each divisional series and then each game of the finals. And even then it wasn't really clear. Just a * beside the date of the game being broadcast on Twitter with a small footnote underneath the chart.

6. unspoken

unspoken Member

Rochester still takes the title for homer announcing but New England is not far behind, especially the color commentator with the very Boston-like accent.

7. AmericanRockFan

Ripper doesn't have an accent. You have an accent.

RockStar likes this.
  8. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

voices from Rawchster have a unique regional flavour.

I dont know what I sound like.....i get local Toronto folks asking if im from East coast or Ireland.

9. AmericanRockFan

I have some sort of strange hybrid of a Rochester and Toronto accent. When I'm in Toronto I sound Rochesterian and when I'm in Rochester I sound Torontonian. Impressive since I've never lived in Toronto....

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Agree! Between that and the poor quality of the feed from the arena, I don't watch the Hawks home games unless there is something I want to see. John Gurbler is also hard to listen to but the at least the quality of the feed is good.

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Blasphemy! I love John Gurtler!

12. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

What bugs me about the TO feed is that the guys mikes are always too hot. Plus you can't hear the crowd at all.

13. Winger86

Winger86 Member

Even the Jacksonville Jaguars have fans. That doesn't make them good.

14. AmericanRockFan

Even the Philadelphia Wings have fans. It doesn't mean they still exist.

15. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Jags fans exists, but are lame. Wings fans exist and are waiting to pounce like a jaguar.

AmericanRockFan likes this.
  16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Hey, I like John Gurtler considerably. He maintains a Bandits blog and does a pretty good job calling the game. He's been doing it a long time and is part of the Bandits family. Before NLLTV, I had to stream Gurtler's radio feed which, thank God, was actually available.

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

other than the way Gurtler mangles names, he is good. He knows what he is watching, and calls it well. It doesn't hurt that the cameramen are also pretty good, and so are the video production guys.......im usually watching the game from a good angle, with a frame that's centred on the play. Cant ask for much more!

18. AmericanRockFan

This. I usually treat the announcers as white noise, so I'd rather watch a feed with good camera angles than a feed with good announcing and crappy camera work.

smurf666 likes this.
  19. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

It's funny. the video production part of this should be stupid simple, yet, amazingly few of the crews can get it done well.

Biggest problem is the "director" who selects which camera angle is broadcast.

Even when you have an OK cameraman that doesn't linger on the goalie when the ball is on the other end, or on the bench after the change, or on the crowd after the whistle has blown, you often get one of these trigger-happy morons that switches the motherloving angle every five seconds.

Every time you switch between a centre floor cam and a corner or end cam, the forcking direction of player and ball movement inverts and it is firetrucking impossible to follow the play!.

I want to handcuff the barstard, and lock out his buttons so he just leaves the motherhugger on the centre-floor cam......at least until it's time to show a replay for a goal or other stoppage. Then, the reverse angle might be neat to see.

20. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

RockStar likes this.