Good Bye Brodie

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by WingsNut423566, Aug 20, 2018.

1. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Sunny Cali looks like his future becausecthats not obvious or anything

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

When Patrick left for San Diego, I wondered if this was going to happen. I'm very alarmed by the fact that Sanderson and both Merrill brothers, a trio of seemingly brilliant lacrosse minds, have departed Toronto this off-season and there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement for the presence of any of them at the moment.

Who do you give the captaincy to? Chapman? He's been around the longest, but if he's not going to be good to go for a full season then I might consider putting it on someone like Schreiber.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Rogers was the best player on the floor not named Schreiber......he's young, but, wonder if he is leadership material.

5. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

He is a leader no doubt.

6. AmericanRockFan

I've been a Dawick fan for the majority of his ownership, but I do sort of wonder if we're getting into Jerry Jones territory with him (if we're not there already) with him not giving up some level of control to someone else. Obviously, the owner is going to have the final say and power over what's going on with his team, but I wonder if not making Josh Sanderson the GM and Patrick Merrill the assistant GM was a mistake.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Brodie has never won an NLL championship so at 36 (soon to be 37 in November), is this more of a play to get to a team that has a better shot at a title than the Rock? The Seals would not be one of those teams.

8. AmericanRockFan

Really, the only places I see him going (in no particular order) are:
    • Saskatchewan - championship opportunity
    • San Diego - familiarity with his brother
    • Rochester - championship opportunity and relatively close to Toronto
    • Buffalo - relatively close to Toronto

9. RockStar

Figure this frees up a pile of bonus money......hoping they're about to make a splash in FA market to improve at a position that is far less deep.

Good luck to Brodie wherever he ends up

10. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I'd pass if I was Buffalo, especially if we decide to bring back Steenhuis. We need help on defense, but does Brodie fix those problems?

11. chuckster

If Rochester doesn't bring a guy like Billy Dee Smith back, I could see Brodie going there if they want him. I don't know if Brodie would want to step into a situation in Rochester that has a cloud of uncertainty over the franchise but for 1 more shot with a top team, it might be hard for him to say no to Rochester.

12. RockStar

https://torontosun.com/sports/lacrosse/nll/toronto-rock/merrill-opts-to-leave-rock

13. Hollywood42

Behind the scene handshake deal
    San Diego could of just picked him, now they didn’t have to burn a pick AND Toronto gets compensatory picks

If you think he’s going anywhere else then you don’t pay attention to how the league operates

Blood is thicker than water

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    dougm likes this.
  14. AmericanRockFan

I could see him doing a 1-year deal with Rochester since it's apparent they'll be in Rochester for 2019 at least, and then play it by ear after that.

15. chuckster

True, but his brother is not coach/GM at an East team, he's on the other side of the continent in San Diego. What is Brodie's family situation? Is Brodie willing to make the commitment to play in San Diego when he's lacrosse director at The Hill Academy in Toronto? Sure, Pat is the President of The Hill Academy but there are other Merrills involved there with a team of people.

Brodie is the greatest indoor player never to win an NLL Championship and I don't see the Seals getting out of the West when the Rush are stacked and the Mammoth are good. If he wants a legit chance at 37 years old at a title, his best options are the Rush (who have no room for him) and the Hawks. Is he OK to be the GOAT never to win an NLL title?

16. AmericanRockFan

17. chuckster

18. Hollywood42

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl

19. chuckster

I'm strictly talking about the NLL.

20. Hollywood42