Grant

Discussion in 'Colorado Mammoth Forum' started by rocklax#1, Mar 31, 2017.

1. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

Sorry for being in your forum, but was just curious on info about Grant not playing too much this year

2. "Upper Body Injury" is the only thing we've been given on the weekly updates.

Strictly a guess from me but I'm thinking it's Concussion related...again just a guess

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It's interesting because on 1/12/17, Grant was placed on 1st Level IR which is only for injuries that are meant to be a few days. But that was 3+ months ago and there hasn't been anything on the NLL transaction page about him since then. I wonder what the real story is.....concussion seems right to me. Anything else would have a more definitive timetable to it and they could put him on the appropriate list.

Maybe an IL Indoor dude like Stamp, Chavez or Shanahan could fill it in more.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I feel like I read a while back that it was concussion related, but I can't remember where I saw that. Don't hold me to it though, because I might have just previously seen that speculation on here at the time of the injury.

5. unspoken

unspoken Member

Announced his retirement from the MLL this morning but is going back to the Denver Outlaws as a coach. Wonder if the NLL isn't too far behind.

6. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

I think he will be involved with the woolies or maybe Denver university too as well. junior will be in demand no matter if he is playing or not.

7. AmericanRockFan

This. Does he live in the Denver area nowadays? I see he hasn't played in the MSL since 2014.

8. unspoken

unspoken Member

I thought he played briefly for Peterborough last year but had a knee issue come up again.

EDIT he did play for Peterborough last year. They retired his number at a game he still played in. Maybe the knee thing was after that was over as I remember him posting on twitter about a knee surgery around then

9. AmericanRockFan

Ah. The original PointStreak link I looked at had 0 games listed for him in 2016. I guess even the MSL website can be wrong sometimes.

10. Saw that also, and that was my exact thought as well!

11. bbilly1

bbilly1 Member

Jr. did an interview on local TV news in Denver last night. While he did not explicitly say he wouldn't play for the Mammoth or in the NLL anymore, he certainly gave the impression that he was done and completely retired from "professional lacrosse". He said he basically couldn't play anymore and pointed at his head as the reason. I forget the exact words, but he seemed to be emotional about it.

12. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

13. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I think the OLA's concussion protocol is something like "Is your head still attached?"

this might leave him open for one last crack at the Mann against Dr's recommendations, but, I would be very surprised.

shame. Have not seen him live in the NLL since Rochester traded him west. This year, Colorado makes their first trip to Toronto in like 10 years and, dammit, no Grant.

14. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

oops, just read the post above, and the linked Examiner article where the Lakers retired his number last year.......its over, and, that's a real shame.

15. Vin

Vin Active Member

The End of Grant.... That would be something.
    So many greats all gone now.
    Both Gaits
    Tavares
    Hollywood
    Doyle
    Scoop
    Sandersons of all flavors.
    ... and now Grant.
    *sigh*

16. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

This is more concerning:

"He confided his condition to the Mammoth team doctor and an appointment was set with a neurologist who gave him some troubling news. He had bleeding and swelling on his brain."

I don't know why the Mammoth didn't put him on a longer term IR list but he shouldn't play again because he's had bleeding and swelling on his brain.

17. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

One of the GOATS. Only got to see him play one season in Rochester but that was more than enough to impress me.

Favorite memory was the 2010 home opener vs Buffalo. Grant intercepted an outlet pass by a Bandits defender. He had a completely open look on goal but still decided to take 3 steps past the goalie and go behind the back. It went in of course. We got a lot better after Grant left, but the atmosphere at BCA never quite felt the same again to be honest. Hope we retire his jersey as soon as possible.

18. AmericanRockFan

There is some truth to this. After Grant left, when I was going through my more casual observer days of the NLL, I could barely even tell you who was even on the Knighthawks for a while. I still don't think anyone has really filled the void left behind by Grant in Rochester.

19. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Funny thing about Rochester is that the years after the one championship were pretty dismal ones......

He struggled with injuries and health, and, it seemed like he had lost the ability to make quick steps to get his hands free. I remember the Toronto games where he got the crap pounded out of him shift after shift.

Whatever strength and conditioning program he got into after he left worked miracles, because for a couple of those years, he was like 2007 Grant again.

20. smurf666

smurf666 Guest