Grant

Discussion in 'Colorado Mammoth Forum' started by rocklax#1, Mar 31, 2017.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I remember all those Hawks fans who came here and whined and whined when the Hawks traded Grant and Evans. They were going to burn their jerseys and they would never support the Hawks ever again. And then the Hawks went out and ran off 3 Cups in a row and those whiners are nowhere to be found.

Whinny little a-holes.

2. blake1827

blake1827 Member

Seriously will anyone miss this chuckers lack of hustle, temper tantrums and overall waste of talent in this league? Lord knows how many worthless second assists padded his stats while careless shots and lackadaisical transition lead to easy goals the other way. Any GM (besides Govett) or head coach would give up points production for some leadership and character. Instead he was propped up as the face of a franchise that still hasn't won a single damn playoff game since 2006.

3. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Grant is so amazing that I have watched him mark a second assist while he was still on the bench.

Noticed this at least a few times in Rochester.....The chief statistician probably got a bonus if Grant led the league in points.

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You never saw Grant when he was with Rochester, did you? He was a juggernaut. The way in which he won the 2007 East Final (the real championship that year) over Buffalo was the stuff of legend. One of the greatest NLL games ever played and he was critical to Rochester's deliverance of a championship that year.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

*sigh* Yeah... Grant leaving Rochester was like Gretzky leaving the Oilers.

6. chuckster

To paraphrase Rick James, testosterone is a helluva drug. o_O

Grant's talent is undeniable and there were times when younger that he reminded me of Gary Gait where if you were in his way, he'd just run over you to score. Or just make some amazing behind the back between the legs shot that a goalie had no idea was coming. But he always struck me as being a complete douche....not at the Rob Gronkowski level of douche.....but still a douche, nonetheless.

But in the end, I hope that will all the absolute torture he put his body through, that he will think it was worth it until the end.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Colorado without a Gait or Grant... What are they going to do to import a marque player?

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Trade for Tom Schreiber at some point and entice him to play for the Denver Outlaws as well.

9. chuckster

It's not a matter of what but a question of who? Using the Grant trade as an example, would Buffalo give up Dhane Smith to get Dillon Ward? And would the fans go ballistic like they did in Rochester when Grant was traded to Colorado for Vinc?

smurf666 likes this.
  10. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

even as damaged goods, Dhane is a 2 goal per game, 6point per game guy......and that's what he is on a bad team that needs a rebuild.

I dont know that Ward makes a three or four goal against difference per game himself, so, you'd have to wrestle with this decision and possibly involve more players and/or another team.

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Colorado won't get Dhane Smith.

Meanwhile, it is official that Grant is retired from the NLL too.
    The Denver Post did a piece on it:
    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/19/john-grant-jr-retires/

Too bad the article didn't have any NLL data...

12. chuckster

I didn't say they will. I was drawing an analogy to the Grant for Vinc trade. I think it might be on par with a Dhane Smith for Dillon Ward trade.....trading a high performing scorer for a high performing goalie just coming into his prime.

I don't know if I would do it but I put the question out there for the parallel analogy. And given that Buffalo is on track for the #1 overall pick in the draft where you could potentially replace Dhane AND Cosmo is retiring AND the goaltending sucks the big skinned banana AND that great goaltending is the backbone of any championship team......the defense needs work too so Ward doesn't totally solve Buffalo's problems but it would be a start.

13. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Don't see it happening. Dhane isn't nearly as old as Grant was when we traded him, and I don't see Ward ever playing on the same level as Vinc even though he is a great young goalie.

14. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

Once a twat, always a twat.

15. bbilly1

bbilly1 Member

You're right. That is not a word I typically use, but Vinc will always be one.

16. bbilly1

bbilly1 Member

Regardless of the talent comparison, Ward at least is worthy of respect.

17. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

Don't give Govett any ideas. Grant was brought in to be Gait 2.0, and that was just as much of a failure. Grant was great at one time... just not most of his time with the Mammoth, and then they let him hang around far too long. I didn't want to see him on the field, and I don't want him anywhere near the coaching staff.

18. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

He got points and games credited to him in the OLA when he was not even in the city the game was played.

19. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I am pretty certain I remember a Peterborough game where he was on the sheet, but in plainclothes in the stands.....MLL had not yet finished, so, he was just making his games for playoff eligibility.

as you say, think there was at least one that same season where he was not even in Peterborough but on the sheet. I cannot remember if he 'scored' either of those games, but, if they had the Rochester stats crew, I am certain he did. :)

it's ok, even if this was all illegal, Brady loves Peterborough. dont even care, because it caused lakers to be short a body....really Just feel a bit bad for the best affiliated Sr B or Jr A player that did not get the chance to play those games.