Halifax Announcement?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AFedyk, Sep 5, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

As someone who was part of the Rochester Stampede back in the day, had a new team come in and taken that name there wouldn't have been a damn thing we could have done about it, regardless of how much some people wouldn't have liked it.

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

One name that perhaps was never suggested was "Bluenoses" or something related to The Bluenose, the famous Canadian schooner from Nova Scotia, which is the boat depicted on the back of a Canadian dime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluenose

[​IMG]

3. AmericanRockFan

That'd be a pretty name to be honest, but I think it would also be one of the more easily mocked names in the league, if not the most mocked.

I can already hear the Bandits playing "Blue Dabba Dee Dabba Die" when the Bluenose enter the arena...

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

You are such a brown nose.

5. AmericanRockFan

Maybe the Halifax Bluenose could hand out handy dandy notebooks to kids 8 and under at a game some time?

6. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

Schooner’s is going to be the cfl name

7. liveone

liveone Active Member

8. AmericanRockFan

9. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I'm terms of patent yes. From the CFL fan vote the too most popular names are storm and schooners.

For those who don't know CFL, even though there technically wasn't any Atlantic / Halifax team in the past. Naming the team "Atlantic Schooners" is as much of a necessity as philly wing 2.0

Regardless this weekend (pretty sure friday) the CFL team name with be reveiled.

10. R.J

R.J Guest

I've never been a fan of the Schooners name, and was hoping they'd go with something else, but at this point I think it's a foregone conclusion (still hoping I'm wrong though lol). Privateers or Highlanders would be great of the NLL team though.

11. R.J

R.J Guest

Halifax could be a crowded market within the next few years with the QMJHL, NLL, potential CFL (Schooners), NBL (Hurricanes) and CPL (Wanderers) team's .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  12. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

They will definitely loose 1-2 teams. It's a low population and low income region of the country. I'd say (unless tickets are super cheap) the basketball team is out...

13. AmericanRockFan

I think the QMJHL, CFL, and NLL teams will be fine. As for the other two, those are the two I’d think will be the first to go if Halifax can’t support several teams.

14. unspoken

unspoken Member

According to the latest census, Halifax has a population of 403,000. Saskatoon has 246,000 and Regina has 216,000. They can also draw tourists from other parts of Nova Scotia as well as New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. So a decent sized base to draw from anyways. Hockey and football will be fine and lacrosse should be OK too because of the size of the league as compared to the others.

15. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

CFL and Jr hockey will be fine. The nblc is in a decline (and a new semi pro bball league is starting cebl) and I'd say basketball is in danger zone while the NLL and soccer should be working their butts off to secure fans !

16. R.J

R.J Guest

Yeah, I don't see the Mooseheads going anywhere, and without a stadium who knows if the Schooners will actually play a game (they didn't in the 80's - deja vu). Basketball is supposedly growing in Canada, and soccer is still the fastest growing sport in Canada, so who knows. TBH, I'm not sold on Styres owning the team - I think personnel wise he's done a good job with the Knighthawks, but off the turf leaves much to be desired.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  17. AmericanRockFan

How so?

18. R.J

R.J Guest

In fairness I should point out that I'm clearly not a Rochester resident nor a season ticket holder, but IMO the team isn't as visible in the market as they were around 10 years ago. At least from what I remember when attending games - I used to see a lot more of the Knighthawks brand especially around Blue Cross (my memory may be a bit hazy though lol). I'm also not a fan of Styres just picking up the team and leaving, - he's the owner, and it's his right, but Rochester is a good market IMO, and deserved to be treated better. Styres also isn't a Halifax local, which IMO can be important to certain markets, so I wonder how loyal he'll be to that market (along with investment). And lastly, I'll add in that I'm in complete agreement with Commissioner Sakiewicz in terms of the Ownership groups the League is now bringing in, as I think the League needs to move away from individual owners, who seemed to have shot themselves in the foot and held the League back in some ways IMO.

19. AmericanRockFan

In fairness though, this isn’t just a Knighthawks issue, it’s an issue related to all of Rochester sports at the moment. Part of it is because the D&C doesn’t cover local sports like it used to, and I think a lot of it is that people my age generally leave Rochester for other cities, so the potential fan base isn’t what it used to be.

20. R.J

R.J Guest

Yeah, it seems to be a problem with sports in general as of late. Again, not being from there, so I obviously don't understand the dynamics, but hopefully the Pegula's can figure out how to make it work long term.

As for Styres, I hope he makes it work in Halifax, and is wiling to invest in the market long term.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018