Halifax Announcement?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AFedyk, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

What's interesting about this comment is that this is an example of the ripple effect of the decline of American print newspapers. Unless they can make up for the decline in print subscriptions with digital subscriptions, then the papers are losing money and can't afford to cover as much. For example, in NYC, sportswriter Frank Isola was among lots of staff laid-off. At least ESPN has cranked up his facetime so he's not hurting for money so much.

But in places like Rochester, the population needs to support the D&C so the D&C can support the population (and its local sports). Unfortunately, many people - especially the young - care less about local issues and more about national issues because they are flooded with national news all over the web and social media. Furthermore, they're not watching the local broadcast news to even learn to care about local issues and read local newsmedia on the web or in print.

This is a classic example of the ripples of changes in society.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

When it comes to local sports, the D&C is only useful for high school sports. Otherwise, just go online and find the info somewhere else. Their sports section hasn’t been relevant in years.

3. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

High school sports is the only sport that drives non subscriber sales everyone wants to read about their family and friends

4. Wingslax1426

Wingslax1426 Guest

Anyone have an idea of when the team name is being announced ?

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I subscribe to my local newspaper mostly for the high school sports news.... it's not a bad thing.

6. Wings-4-Life

Privateers.... the expansion CFL team already said they wanted to use the name, but the NLL team already had dibs.

7. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

C82855AD-9A43-4936-AFEC-35F5C3AB82CF.jpeg

8. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

They trademarked it but it doesn’t mean they will use it. They also trademarked the highlanders just recently too

9. Wings-4-Life

I'm sure if they didn't plan on using it, they would've worked something out with the CFL team who very much wanted it.

10. Ziel37

Ziel37 Member

The CFL team was always going to use Schooners, they just had to throw some other names out to the public to make it not look obvious.

11. Wings-4-Life

https://www.tsn.ca/name-of-potential-halifax-cfl-team-a-horse-race-between-schooners-and-storm-1.1214004

12. R.J

R.J Guest

Yes other names were "looked at", but Schooners was essentially a foregone conclusion. For a team that's never existed, they have some history.

13. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't mind the high school sports coverage either. I still really enjoy high school football, and enjoy following how the Section V teams progress through the sectionals.