Happy Hour at the Bar!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by Vin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

While I don't hate my job at all and rather like it (other than my 1200 mile commute), I am often reminded of a quote Drew Carey made on The Drew Carey Show: "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar. "

So, I've decided to create this thread as a place to vent as if you folks were some of my coworkers or fellow minions of pointy-haired bosses and we were at the bar after work needing to unload....

My vent today is that, while I work with very smart engineer and software types, they are so cryptic at times, it's like working with ancient Egyptians and I need a Rosetta Stone to communicate with them. I just wish they'd communicate completely so I don't have to do email tag to get a clear and not overly-concise answer. *sigh*

I'll have a whiskey sour!

What do you want to grip about today?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, when I saw the title of this thread I expected it to be another thread from fishman10.

Anyhow, I really have nothing to gripe about for the most part other than the fact that every time my workplace hires a new girl everyone tries to get me to date her. Apparently in their eyes if you're a single guy you must be a miserable guy as well, but that's not the case with me :)

3. fzybro

fzybro Member

I'll take Johnny, Black Label. Neat and make it a double.

I love working for days making sure a major project is completed on time, only to have the "emergencies" of others try to super-cede said major project, even though they know it is priority #1, and then complain when their "emergencies" aren't handled according to their definition of a "timely fashion." *Sigh*

What's keeping that bar keep?

4. thrillis

thrillis New Member

Working as a sysadmin and having done many contracts with my current job from remote deployment of software based harddrive encryption to a full scale lotus to exchange server + archive enablement swap, I have worked with many different project managers who went to school and learned all the lovely little money handling and how to turn project scopes into fancy buzzwords and have absolutely ZERO idea how the technical side of things ACTUALLY work.

I for one would like to gripe about these people and wish they would simply handle their business and stop telling the tech savvy individuals how to do their job and asking them if they can cut 6 months off the project end date to save time and money. Or losing their **** when a servicepack upgrade on the servers causes a delay to the enablements running through the system and we have to pause until the root cause of the issue is determined and a fix implemented.

I love my job, I just hate the people who don't understand it try to implement "easy" suggestions for speeding up the process.

I'll have an Old Fashioned please.

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Working at a hotel, I have something to vent about every day.

Like the people that try and rent for an hour "to get some rest" then expect a half-refund when they leave because they weren't there very long.

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Oh....one of THOSE no-tell-motels

cap'n and diet coke, with a squeeze of lime
    or Glenmorganie Port casked scotch
    or Cuervo 1800 Anejo....

People that demand that they need your staff to temporaily move to their area, and they they don't give them help or work. Even better, when asled in a meeting, they lie about the support being given to the person. Motive...to have more people under their realm, needed or not.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'm in heavy industrial construction as a "process engineer". I'm mostly in mechanical and electrical, and occasionally concrete and other civil stuff.

My job is to take half-finished system designs from overworked design professionals, try to hold a contractor's hand so the **** gets installed in some way where it will actually work, and then get it tested, documented, and handed over to the end user so we can all get paid.

Same mistakes over and over again on my side and the contractors'. On the client side - project managers that are not well enough informed to deal this stuff, and are allergic to making decisions; Operations staff that refuse to think, or use basic problem solving strategies.

My career highlight was drop-kicking my hardhat just about 30 yards after a severe cluster**** was uncovered once.

Sometimes, all you can do is quote Kim Jong Il from Team America:

"Why is everybody so f---ing stupid? Why can't they be interrigent? Rike me?"

Oh, and One Bourbon, one scotch, and one beer. Gonna get drunk so's I can't even see. One drink ain't enough, Jack, you'd better make it three!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  8. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

i run a warehouse for a vending company
    i get paid crap
    the owners a douchebag and belittles his employees
    ill take a captain and coke and keep em coming

9. Busterknoxville

Busterknoxville New Member

I work for a husband-&-wife who "co-own" the company...

The husband is a whiner & a bit of a d-bag, but ultimately he created the company from scratch, has a lot of experience & I can respect that

The wife however, has zero knowledge of the industry, is always the least experienced and least intelligent person in EVERY workplace situation, but has such a fragile friggin ego that she needs to belittle the rest of us in order to feel like she's on top of the mountain.

From what I can gather she was one of those girls who REALLY wanted to be part of the in-crowd when she was younger...but was always on the outside looking in. Now that she owns a company (ie: now that she effed a dude who owns a company) she's just anointed herself the "cool-kid".

...brutal...

btw: gin & ginger with lime, make it a double, and keep'em coming

10. 30seconds

30seconds Member

Another day another dollar

Im landscaping for a company and im one of the newer guys but is in a higher position then multiple people who were there previous years.

to much finger pointing,and joking around for me with this company. call me "school boy" cause i actually have a university degree in landscaping and not a criminal. Forman knows everything takes credit for the good blames some one else for the bad.

truck driver left the site today without chaining down the excavator :doh:

jacker bomb for me and some beers.

11. Eyes from Above

Eyes from Above New Member

Small bussiness owner hear,work for and by myself (plb,htg,clg)
    what I LOVE is listening to people "Tell" me how to do my job,because They went to college,Saw it on DYI,Family member has done it.I've got over 40 years of on the job training,no, the guy at home depot /lowes doesn't have that kind of training(if any)
    also ,don't try and say you can get it cheaper somewhere else because your wasting my time.(and I will chage you for it)
    And no you don't have to watch me (to see if I know what I'm doing or better to see if I'll steal something,nobody wants your stuff).

The best part of my job.......telling people that I want work for them!(they are fired!):cry:
    Beer please ...and keep them coming!

12. RockStar

I'll stand around and watch a tradesman if time permits, but with me, it's only an effort to learn something......I mean, if they're not more skilled than me, and I can get it "cheaper somewhere else", well, aren't I the idiot for hiring him? :D

When I do hover, I mostly just keep my mouth shut, and try to be ready to pass the guy whatever tool he's going to need next.

13. 30seconds

30seconds Member

If you hover and dont say anything, ask questions and get in the way, its alright. As soo as you start teling me step by step what to do then i get frustrated, why you hire me? Asking how to the job.. go to school/work for a company/ take courses how to do it then practise on your own house. If you can get it cheaper some where else go for it..i know what im/the jobs worth and feel free to call me when i need to fix there mistake :D

14. gctales

gctales New Member

Just left one company for another...

Big reason - old company - Boss (who created company and does know what he is doing and has been for 40 yrs) won't trust others to do their job. Keeps complaining that he has to close the business and go on trip, won't let you or anyone else negotiate the final contract... but when you do all the prelim groundwork - ensure hte customer is ready to sign the standard contract, set up the meeting with the CEO of the client for a slam dunk contract signing - he sits in the meeting and tells the customer you are an idiot, throws you under the bus and tells the customer he knows what they want better than they do... then tells you after the meeting it is your fault they did not sign the contract....

Capt and Coke
    PAtron Silver
    more..

15. PUNCH ME

PUNCH ME New Member

I was a supervisor for a pharmaceutical company until 08 when the went to third party's for production. I was given my walking papers and then they were taken back about three hours later. I was offered a spot in the warehouse. And because of the dumb *** backward union, made more money driving a fork lift than I did running two depts and having 25-30 people under me. They are now going to use third party's for the warehouse as well so come June 29th I am out off a job.

The severance package is effing huge and I get to spend the entire summer at home with my 7 year old. I wouldn't change that for one second.

life is good, I'll take a chocolate milk please.

16. RockStar

Too awesome.

I've only seen it where the man in charge made like $1 more per hour than his charges.

I don't know why anyone would apply for the top job with difficult crews like that.

17. PUNCH ME

PUNCH ME New Member

it came down to a $4 an hour raise for me. crooked as ****.

18. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Why can't data dictionaries be better controlled so we don't have 15 people using 15 different names? Where's the dart board?

19. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I love it when I'm at the hotel, and someone comes up at 4:30pm wondering why breakfast is no longer being served. Then after finding out it's gone, decides to go rooting through the cabinets in the breakfast room in search of food. This is why we have a "do not rent" list as long as we do. :mad:

20. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm gonna stay at your hotel sometime and ask you at 11:30pm why breakfast isn't being served yet.

I hate it when I have openly declared the fact that I'll be leaving my job to go to grad school only to find out that my employer offers tuition assistance. I'm pissed cause I had to find out about it from a fellow employee, which pisses me off because my bosses have known about my grad school aspirations for the past year and never said a word to me about the assistance the company offers.