Harnett suspended 6 games

Discussion in 'Calgary Roughnecks Forum' started by Hollywood42, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

suspended 6 games for his hit on Jeremy Noble
    Rules 41.1 and 74.4 taken into account ,expect an appeal
    per Teddy Jenner

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

He's a loose cannon and deserves the 6 games. League needs to make a stand to get rid of that kind of crap.

3. Hollywood42

anyone got a video?

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Is he a repeat offender? 6 games seems a bit high to me.

EDIT: Just saw that he is and that's why he was given an additional 5 games.

5. The Wack

The Wack Member

Here is the hit an link to the video of the hit.

https://twitter.com/Brider37/status/825051597591900160

I personally feel like at the worse this hit was worth 5 and an game. If it was in the open floor their would have been no penalty. The hit was shoulder to shoulder he didn't make contact with the head. It was an 5 and game at the worse because of where abouts on the floor it happen near the boards and how Noble went into the boards.

6. Hollywood42

Rule 41.1 ACCRUAL OF MAJOR PENALTIES IN A SEASON – In regular season games or Playoff games, any player who incurs a total of 3 major penalties, excluding fighting majors, will be assessed a game misconduct. For each subsequent 2 major penalties, excluding fighting, a game misconduct will be assessed and shall continue as such throughout the season.

Rule 74.4 MATCH PENALTY - The referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player or goalkeeper was reckless or endangered his opponent by boarding.

7. AmericanRockFan

That's how I felt when I saw it happen live. I didn't think there was any intent at all on Harnett's part to injure Noble or drive him into the boards like he did, but obviously their proximity to the wall led to the less than desirable consequence of it all.

8. Hollywood42

i dont see anything wrong with that hit

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  9. Hollywood42

thats not even a penalty imo wow what a joke

Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  10. Hollywood42

Apparently it's 1 for the hit and 5 for being a repeat offender

11. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Your right. That hit got him the additional 5 games. Have watched him play and over the years has taken many stupid penalties that have impacted the team. Maybe this will get his attention. When he just plays hard without the stupid stuff he is a valuable asset.

12. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

That was a weak ass penalty.

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Normally, that would be a check from behind (contact on back of shoulder) and a 2 minute penalty because the guy has the ball. The location of the hit on the floor is key as it was near the boards. A dangerous play, for sure, given the location on the floor but 6 games is excessive. But there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Nick Sakiewicz.

14. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Simple. If he had not been a repeat offender and I think he has a bad reputation with refs it would have just been 1 game. Certainly might have been lots of discussion as to if it was a penalty or not. Lots of opinions.

15. Absolutely BOGUS call on this one!! Good clean hit, 5 feet from boards, eye contact prior, ridiculous!! So pissed over this. How about the two goons on Mammoth delivering punches to exposed, helmet-less head of Hartnett over and over - wow, a major and a double minor announced afterwards, whoopie. As an aside as well, I would hope that the refs are more professional then to be biased but .....

16. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Just listened to Brider37 on Fan960. Was a good discussion. Certainly forgot about the crushing hit on Karsen Leung last year where no penalty was called let alone a match penalty. That play might be the reason that a crack down is being made this year and Harnett is being made the example of the crackdown.

17. Yeah, but come on- ridiculous. Roughnecks keep getting penalized over and over and over again , sometimes warranted, sometimes not. I would also have expected two players fighting one with no helmet would have been called on the field. What is the penalty afterwards to the Mammoth. Still got both players in the game whole 60 mins. It is really starting to look obvious to anyone with eyes that certain teams can do no wrong, and the rest be damned.

18. Hollywood42

unfortunately when you get a reputation, you no longer get the benefit of the doubt on calls.
    believe me i know this, Radko Gudas is on my Flyers and he gets 2 mins for sneezing next to someone

Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  19. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

and both Harnetts have well earned reps.

20. AmericanRockFan

Can't disagree, Mona.