Holy Spambot....

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AmericanRockFan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think they cleaned out the first batch but hopefully they can do something permanent about this next one.

2. twin58

twin58 Administrator

Good morning.

Yeah, I've noticed that IL Indoor is being hit with fake diploma spam. I delete it when I see it, but that's a rear-guard action.

I'm no expert, but I guess that the spam-detecting software needs to have the appropriate Chinese characters added to its lookup table. That way IL can prevent it from appearing in the first place.

It's showing up in lots of forums, with lots of different email names, from lots of different IPs. There's no consistent pattern to the names used by the spammers, so I can't block them ahead of time. I block each IP address as it is used. All that means is that the spammer goes to another one.

Please hang in there.

Best wishes.

ETA, 11:00 a.m.: I've PM'ed TLF/IL Indoor's tech person about the issue. I can find the power switch on my computer, but I'm clueless when it comes to writing code.

We were getting hammered with this stuff five years ago too.

"This too shall pass." Though, to get one of these diplomas, I doubt that passing anything is a necessity.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

4. zgonzalez

zgonzalez Administrator Staff Member

Good morning,

It has come to my attention that there is spam bot lurking around in the forums. Currently, we have a spam prevention system. However, sometimes those bots are built smart enough to trick the systems. Therefore we have to manually delete them.

Please make sure to send me a message if you see a bunch of spam come through so I can take care of them, also if there are any moderators left in this forum, they can also delete these.

Thank you,

zgonzalez
    IL Forums Admin

5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Which one of you suspended me last year for 2 months

6. twin58

twin58 Administrator

That would probably have been me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    swami24 and AmericanRockFan like this.
  7. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I think he's the one that put me in message board jail, too.

RockStar likes this.
  8. AmericanRockFan

Charity lacrosse game? ILIndoor Users vs. ILIndoor Administrators? Winner gets to play the SpamBots for ILIndoor Forum supremacy. Fann Cup 2019 could get interesting!

9. twin58

twin58 Administrator

This time as well, that would most likely have been me.

10. AmericanRockFan

Why does it say you've been a member on here since 2005 and have 2,948 posts, yet I can only find 3? :confused:

11. twin58

twin58 Administrator

That has to be three posts at ILIndoor. The overwhelming majority of my posts have been made at TLF.

I check in at TLF just about daily. Due to the spam, though, I see I'm going to have to make the side trip to ILIndoor more frequently from now on.

I'm using a, uh, work computer. The browser is set not to remember passwords. I have to log into ILIndoor and TLF separately. It's not like an all-resorts pass.

Well, maybe not the black sheep. A lesser known part, definitely. I'll turn up the vigilance. Banning spammers is the best part of my day.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  12. AmericanRockFan

Ah. I have no clue what TLF is, but I figured this board and another board merged a while back since a ton of randoms appear in the "Members List" nowadays.

13. twin58

twin58 Administrator

"TLF" is The Lacrosse Forums.

14. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Saddle up ima take you for a ride this season cowboy

15. AmericanRockFan

I’m liking how this thread is turning into the ILIndoor version of The Longest Yard.

16. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I did an exile term as well.

Delegated my posting/commenting responsibilities to some other stroker though, so the forum didn't miss a beat.......I am good like that ;)

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Nice to actually see administrators!
    Thanks for your vigilance (no sarcasm).

So....

Any chance of this site actually getting linked with the rest of IL so the IL community might actually visit and we might actually be able to click in link here and visit there?

18. AmericanRockFan

Yeah! If you don’t put up a link I’m gonna invade TLF nWo style, got it?

RockStar likes this.
  19. AmericanRockFan

Just checked out TLF. If you thought this board was dead just look at that board.....

20. AmericanRockFan

AND THEY’RE BACK!

These spammers sure love the Roughnecks forum.