Home opener attendance

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by Riders78, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

Looks like there is going to be a pretty good crowd tomorrow at Sasktel Centre. On ticketmaster most of the lower bowl is sold. Looking forward to the game.

2. I wonder what the lower bowl holds? I expect with the walk up and the Co-op $20 general admission tickets, it will be pretty close to a full house. I do wonder what total capacity is for the seating the Rush are using?

My hope is that this frenzy to buy tickets remains over the entire season. I want all the naysayers on this board to realize that Saskatoon is a great market for the NLL.

3. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

I think the lower bowl holds about 4800-5000. I think that is what a sell out for the blades is because they don't open the second deck. It sounds like Lee Genier was saying on the news they were expecting somewhere between 8-9000.

4. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

NLL Media Guide lists seating capacity as 15,195. Are they only opening the lower level?

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Looks like the middles in the upper level are open too.

6. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

Yeah they have had those sections open for awhile on ticketmaster. It seems like they wanted to sell out the lower bowl first. They might event have to open up more of the upper level because the tickets have been going quickly this week.

7. They have three sections open on each side of the upper level, with the rest curtained off. Lee Genier tweeted out earlier that over 10,000 tickets have been sold thus far. I am thinking that has to be super close to a sell out. I know the lower bowl has no pairs of tickets left and only some singles. One section of the upper level last I checked was sold out.

I have seen social media posts from people who were disappointed they couldn't get a pair. So I suspect that the excitement will carry over to the game in two weeks time. I for one am excited to go to the game. I know my avatar is still the Toronto Rock and while my heart lies with them, I am definitely behind my hometown team.

8. wacklax

wacklax Member

nice crowd!!! hopefully it continues.

9. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

9147 people tonight. Really good crowd and I must admit that was the most exciting event I have ever seen at Sask tel centre. Definitely going to go back!

10. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Seeing an NLL live game is always a great experience. You have a great team there in Saskatoon. :)

11. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Seems like a strong start to bad they did not get the W

12. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Only faults I have is that the feed was definitely the worst that I've seen in the league this year. Rochester's may look like it's 1990, but at least it isn't choppy. Also, it's pretty clear they just slapped Saskatchewan on the center logo of the old Edmonton turf. Looks really bad and really cheap. Their logo isn't grey anywhere else (it isn't even in their color scheme) besides the turf.

13. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Would like to get some reactions to the fan experience at the game. Comments from attendee's on a CBC news article about the game indicate that some fans found the experience rowdy and more geared towards the UFC fan base. From what I could see on the poor digital feed - the game was exciting and the fans generally seemed to have a good experience. Always great to see "Granny " in the stands! The NLL needs to pay attention to what happens in Saskatoon. It will be a litmus test for any kind of expansion talk. If a team is going to succeed anywhere - it will be Saskatoon. The NLL and the owner cannot let it fail.

14. Rigger

Rigger New Member

I hope the good folks in Saskatchewan found the game entertaining and exciting.. Looked like a good turnout.. With the Mammoth coming in a couple weeks it will be interesting to see if the numbers change.. That will be a great game and I wish I lived a bit closer. Come on Saskatchewan... fill the barn! You have a great team and I am a bit jealous.
    As always..go Roughnecks. :)

15. coachcam

coachcam New Member

I live in Calgary but was in attendance for the game. It was a great atmosphere for sure. Ya it had its quirks which need to be fixed but still was great. Fans were right into it. I talked to quite a few people and also had alot of my relatives who live there were in attendance. Great to see Bruce Urban walking around talking to people and shaking hands. The on floor product was great. Ya the rush lost the game but they gained alot of fans. I can see it working in saskatoon for sure. What a great intro I mean highlite real goals couple fights,almost 2 line brawls. Fans were into it all game. Great crowd as well for a first game with just over 9100. Awesome to see Grandma Rush in attendance. I will definetly take the 6 hour commute to saskatoon to see another game. Great job Bruce Urban, the team, and all the behind the scenes people.

16. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

Looks like another good crowd tonight here in Saskatoon. Looks like Colorado is a pretty good team. Hopefully tonights crowd is almost as big and loud as the home opener a couple of weeks ago.

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Very much looking forward to seeing the game tonight! Go Rush!

18. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

8624 people tonight in Saskatoon. Great atmosphere! I think this team is going to do well here. Calgary coming to town next week

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

It’s impossible to miss something you’ve never had. My car doesn’t have a heated steering wheel, but no car I’ve ever owned had a heated steering wheel, so I don’t get all mopey about it.

Pro sports teams are the heated steering wheel of urban life.

Saskatoon has never had an enduring professional team. Hence, I’ve never yearned for one. It helps that non-professional teams have served my needs well. In the searing heat and numbing cold, I’ve witnessed with sadistic relish the Saskatoon Hilltops grab lesser teams and fold them over their knees like cardboard before tossing them aside. It’s a wonderful thing.

Saskatoon did have a couple of professional basketball teams. They were called the Saskatoon Dunks and the Saskatchewan Long Shorts — no they weren’t — and they played in the mighty Intra-Continental Basketball Union (no, they didn’t).

And we’ve had professional baseball, most recently The Wasps, I think, or The Hornets or the The Africanized Bees or some such stinging insect that nobody wants to be around. They folded because, yeah, nobody wanted to be around them.

But now we’ve got a pro lacrosse team called the Saskatchewan Rush and for the first time in my life, I’ve got this tingly feeling about the city of my birth.

The Rush arrived intact, without any chips or cracks, from Edmonton, of all places. What a horrible year to be an Edmonton sports fan. The Edmonton Rush won the National Lacrosse League championship and then moved to Saskatoon. And when the Edmonton Eskimos won their first Grey Cup in 10 years, their southern-drawlin’, Dressler-hatin’, Chick-cuttin’ head coach moved to Regina.

That leaves Edmonton with the Oilers, a big mall and IKEA. They better keep an eye on IKEA because those stores can be taken apart and reassembled anywhere.

So Saskatoon is now in the NLL. NFL would be better, but you have to start somewhere. I didn’t go to the Rush’s first home game, but 10,000 of my fellow citizens did. There was a traffic jam, of course, so the game was delayed 20 minutes. Oh, Saskatoon. Sometimes you think you’re still in 1974 and you can follow the 10-10 rule: Get there in 10 minutes and park 10 steps from the door.

Now that we’ve got lacrosse, we’re learning new things about it. They keep stats on such things as faceoff wins, penalty minutes and — I am not making this up — “loose balls.”

The Rush’s current schedule is just plain weird. They started the season with an away game, a week off, a home game and another week off. It’s been hard to build up momentum but when I saw the gleaming new Rush bus near my house, I yelled out, “That’s the Rush bus!” even though there was no one else around.

I admit, it doesn’t take much to boost my civic pride. When the Brier’s in Saskatoon and TSN goes into commercial with a live shot of the Meewasin Rink, I’m like, “Eek! That’s us!”

Tonight, our beloved Rush host the Colorado Mammoth whose home arena is the 18,000-seat Pepsi Centre in Denver.

Denver. Denver is where the NFL Broncos play. The Broncos are led by future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. How’s this for six degrees of hypothetical separation: If Manning were a Mammoth fan, he’d come to Saskatoon. Cool. I bet he’d look out the airplane window and yell, “Omaha!”

Later this season, the Rush will entertain the Georgia Storm. The Georgia Storm are located in Duluth, a suburb of Atlanta, home of the NFL Falcons (the reflected glory is blinding me). The Rush will also have home games against both the Buffalo Bandits and the Rochester Knighthawks.

Buffalo and Rochester are not the most glamorous cities in North America, sure, but neither is Saskatoon, although we like to think otherwise.

In some small but perhaps not insignificant way, our little city seems to be growing up. And now that we’re entertaining visitors, I hope we lose the sweatpants and put on something decent.

Now, we may be the smallest market in the NLL but we’re home to the defending league champions. Can you imagine the vibe if this NLL thing catches on and we get home playoff games and — dare I even think it — win another title? I predict an amicable, brief and manageable riot on Eighth Street.

Little Saskatoon? Tailgating the Torontos and Vancouvers in the fast lane? We’re not just talking heated steering wheel but power moon roof and full-sized spare, baby. What a ride.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016