Home opener attendance

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by Riders78, Jan 14, 2016.

1. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Sign this guy up.

Hilarious! And this is just the start. Heart and soul of Canada is in the Prairies. Who would have thought that Saskatoon was going to put lacrosse on the map in the Great White North!

Time for curling to take a back seat to lacrosse on TSN. What Saskatoon wants it gets! More loose balls!

2. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

9580 fans tonight! It was 80's night. Some pretty crazy mullets walking around and the arena even got Rick rolled (Rick Astley) just before we scored a goal. Keep it up boys!

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

They all came back, and some of them brought friends.

Good deal. This looks promising so far.

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if i was still in the touring other guys' arenas mood of old, would love to what makes saskatoon tick? roadtrip worth taking, even for a casual tourist?

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Home Game 1, FRI 15 JAN, Vancouver : 9147
    Home Game 2, FRI 29 JAN, Colorado: 8624
    Home Game 3, FRI 05 FEB, Calgary: 9580
    Average: 9117

I think there's a recipe here:
    1. The team is good.
    2. The city that the team moves to has no initial prejudice against lacrosse.
    3. The team is promoted right away and gets positive optimistic press coverage.
    Colorado satisfied those criteria.

In the case of Saskatoon compared to Denver though, Saskatoon is more reminiscent of San Antonio 40+ years ago. Not respected and not much competition for the professional dollar. The other minor league sports teams in Saskatoon may have come and gone, but Saskatoon is growing, lacrosse is new so curiosity kicks in, and the respect factor is there - Saskatoon teams previously would play other regional teams in regional leagues, but the Rush play teams from the metro areas of Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Denver, Atlanta...
    That alone makes people feel different - more respected and they want to see teams from these distant metropolises. This is very much like when the Spurs moved to San Antonio - a place people laughed at and didn't respect but that is now one of the largest metro areas in the US.

Also, in Canada dominated by hockey, compared to hockey, lacrosse is high scoring but the games can still be close, so there is a better excitement factor. In a metro area like Saskatoon which only seemed to care about CFL and minor league hockey, the NLL (the top league in its sport and that includes US teams) is different, gives Saskatoon more respect, and is more exciting.

Go Rush! Let's hope they break 10k for a home game this year!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  6. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Yes, good to see so far in Sask. Keep it up Rush fans!

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The Saskatoon Star Phoenix is doing a great job covering this team. A pre-game story and then a good post-game story with a very good photo gallery. It's nice to see solid press support for an NLL team - it really does help!

EDIT: And the story for the game is on the homepage, no less. You don't have to go through 2 or 3 click-links to get there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  8. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

this should open the door for Winnipeg I hope. that was an awesome article. glad this is working well so far.

9. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Another nice crowd tonight for the rush. Over 11 000. Might work.

10. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Very impressive thus far.

11. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Looks like they got the front page of the sports section Saturday. Real good sign.

12. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Nice to see. Who would have thought that Saskatoon would have 4,000 more fans than Toronto on the same night?

13. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Ask Smith, Kloepfer, and the Watterses about Toronto's attendance challenges.

Last game was a thin crowd, but, some of the 2009 games you could have shot a cannon through the place....

Dawick has mostly put a winner on the floor, but, thousands were chased away, and, damned if it isn't hard to get 'em back!

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

There's a rule in life: When someone generally gets little respect from others, then when you give that someone respect, you will usually be rewarded for it and respected in return.

Four examples:
    1. When I was living in the NY's Capital District (aka Capitaland) but working in Buffalo 10 years ago, I had no problems with Buffalo or Western NY. I didn't carry any rust belt stereotypes when I started working there. I found it unique and, perhaps because I didn't diss the place and was happy again to be in an NLL market, the people I interacted with in Buffalo/WNY were all very kind and helpful and nice to me. They went out of their way too and I was a bit welcomed like family. So much so, that I was considering moving there and would have if I could have.
    2. I got stopped on NY-77 in Darien. It was Monday morning so I was head to Moog in East Aurora from Capitaland. The cop who pulled me over asked me the standard questions. I told him I was heading to Moog which he knew about; I was working on F-35 and he was up on military stuff. I had mentioned that I loved in in WNY and that my wife and I were considering moving out this way. He let me off and I wasn't trying to bullshit him either - what I said was true. I really miss being in WNY.
    3. The San Antonio Spurs are successful and have been for over 40 years simple because the ABA dared to put a team there. It was San Antonio's first major league team.
    4. ... and now the Saskatchewan Rush who are just like San Antonio. Both cities now having teams in continent-wide leagues which contain teams from larger markets. The transition from regional leagues to major leagues is received by a local population as a sign of respect and when people who were previously disrespected finally get some respect, they will show gratitude. I believe the people of Saskatoon are responding accordingly. Of course it helps that the Rush don't suck and the NLL is a good sport, but don't underestimate the respect factor. Saskatoon has been respected by the NLL and now the NLL is similarly getting respect from Saskatoon.

15. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

Not that surprised. There's a lot more to do in Toronto, I'm sure. Spend a good amount of money on a Saturday night watching weekend warriors go 1-6? Or go spend that money else where? Toronto will have big crowds for big games and championships. The league isn't big time enough for people to spend that kind of money on indoor lacrosse unless they're constantly winning.
    In Saskatchewan the rush are big time. I've always thought markets like that would work. Big little cities like Rochester and Buffalo. League needs to accept what it is and grow with cities that will support it and sprinkle in the cherries on top like Calgary, Toronto, and Denver.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't settle for that in the long term, but, at the same time, it is saddening when these leagues grow and the smaller market teams move to bigger markets. Look at the NBA...
    Fort Wayne Pistons
    Rochester Royals
    Syracuse Nationals
    etc.
    Look at this picture of the NBA cities during the league's creation:
    [​IMG]

The NLL could do the same thing. Still, I would hope that the smaller market teams still survive - "Green Bays", if you will.

17. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Another nice looking crowd tonight, I think they announced 10,000 something on the Fox Sports Go feed, I missed the exact number.

18. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

It looks like Saskatoon was a good move.

19. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Well I will give it a neutral since they pull roughly the same numbers as Edmonton did. Now if Edmonton gets a new team and the fan base is not poisoned by Rash moving to raise a championship banner some place else it was a good move otherwise it is just another NLL franchise the forever killed a potential market.

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

10433 last night - a Friday night. Given the size if Saskatoon versus Edmonton, this is turning out to be a very good move because costs are lower and respect is higher. Saskatchewan will have the #3 or #4 average attendance in the NLL.