Home opener vs Rochester

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by Riders78, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

It was tweeted out earlier this morning that there were less than 400 tickets left for tonights game. Should be a sell out I would think. Really looking forward to them raising that banner to the roof tonight. Should be a lot of fun.

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

They said people got turned away from the box office

3. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

Not sure about that. Was packed to the rafters and everyone seemed to have a great time tonight. Weather was not great in Saskatoon tonight and there was some crazy traffic jams trying to get into the arena tonight. $101,000 for the 50/50 ticket tonight...wow!

4. Hollywood42

Maybe you misunderstood I was reiterating the game being sold out as people got turned away for tickets because none were left

5. I don't see why. that game had 15,007 people there but that building has put more asses in their for hockey games before

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Might have to do with box seats being more full for a high demand hockey match.......

7. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

You know I was wondering about that too. I've been to quite a few of the Rush games and I think there is a section in the lower bowl here at Sask Tel centre that they can move in and out. For the last game it was out and the DJ was set up there. And then in the upper bowl there is always a space open where sportsnet set up during the memorial cup and TSN set up their panel for the World Junior hockey championship. The Rush had a band playing up there at half time on Saturday. That small section removed from the lower bowl might account for the 150 less seats in capacity right now.

8. unspoken

unspoken Member

This is exactly it. For the playoff games last year, the DJ was moved upstairs and a temporary section between U and W was put in. That accounted for the extra seats which brought it to the 15,190 that set a Sasktel Centre record in the playoffs last year.

9. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Attendance is still damn impressive but its a shame it didn't sell out last night. I remember at one point Urban predicted every home game would be at capacity this year. Saskatchewan is such an easy city to root for. They've really brought some life back into the NLL and with their smaller arena size I think the high demand for tickets is making every game feel like a special event.

10. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

Yeah it was a great night. Friday nights are a little tougher here in Saskatchewan as opposed to Saturday night. A growing percentage of fans are travelling from across the province to the games and Saturday is just easier. Is it like that in other venues in the league too? Still great crowd 14,502 and it was rocking last night.

11. Is it time yet to say I told you so? For years I have been on here saying Saskatoon would be a great place for a team in all the expansion threads. Everyone laughed and said we are too small, too out of the way etc. etc. a team would never be successful here. So far so good right?

12. I suspect that outside of the teams in the Toronto-Buffalo-Rochester area, few draw from as far as the Rush do. I think the reason the Rush draw from across the province is that people are used to driving for Riders games. Plus since the Riders win so few Championships, people see a professional team win the title, they want to be in on it.

That said, my buddy lives in Regina and he told me the Rush barely get a mention on local Regina news or in the paper. They only get on the Sports Cage radio show because it is also carried on Saskatoon radio. Then again, I remember in the early 90s, the Riders had the same issue with Saskatoon media. Seems to me the story went the Riders denied someone from the StarPhoenix a press pass (as it would have been something like their 5th one for that game) and it was a long time reporter who was denied. So Saskatoon media was offended and dwindled their Riders coverage down as a result. A childish move and one that cost the team a lot of potential fans, but that was how it was done. So perhaps this is what Regina media is doing now. I doubt it, more than likely media is understaffed these days and to get highlights to the Saskatoon stations in time for their late news is hard enough, trying to get it to Regina stations is even harder.

13. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

Yeah I think you're right. I think a lot of local sports media in all of Canada are understaffed right now.

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Practically every week I see tweets about how the Toronto Sun, Globe and Mail, or Toronto Star have let a pretty well tenured and respected journalist go because of "budget cuts."

15. It is funny that those are the ones to go. Granted, I guess they have higher salaries than the recent Ryerson or Regina grad. I think the StarPhoenix sports department is down to one guy. I still have no idea how he does his job. On some Friday or Saturday nights, he somehow writes about the U of S Huskies basketball or volleyball games, the Huskies hockey game and either a Rush or Blades hockey game. He must be sitting in a pressbox somewhere with two laptops streaming games, while he watches a third or is really good at faking it from a boxscore.

The TV guys on Global are simply reporters, the Global Toronto news crew actually anchors it for the 10 PM news and CTV seems to have at least two reporters. I don't watch CBC news as it is largely Regina based news stories, so I am thinking their sports is probably fairly Reginacentric too.

The Morning Shows on both Global and CTV have Lee Genier on at least once a week as a guest and usually on a home game day they have a Rush player or two. So there is a lot of coverage for the Rush out there. I mean before Christmas, the Western Hockey League's Prince Albert Raiders even had Rush night, where they wore Rush themed jerseys and some of the Crush dancers, Bruiser and I think a couple Rush players were at the game. (Prince Albert is a small city of around 40,000 about an hour and fifteen north of Saskatoon.) They have their own newspaper, which I doubt covers the Rush, but their TV comes from Saskatoon.

[​IMG]

I see today Grandma Rush is trying to stir things up in Calgary today. She bought an ad (the Rush claim she paid for it) in the Calgary Sun mocking Curtis Dickson.

[​IMG]

16. Hollywood42

That ad is awesome