Home Opener

Discussion in 'Vancouver Warriors Forum' started by BIG E NY, Dec 18, 2018.

1. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Yeah, I like the middle ground of music when home team is on O, I miss that from the early MILL days.

2. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Well-Known Member

Well then... considering I stopped using a cellphone around 2 years ago, I guess I won't be going to any games. Good to know now not to bother buying tickets.

3. Dave S-C

I think the reason for that is two-fold: 1) the NLL no longer wants to sell the fighting because it wants to draw in family dollars; and 2) because of summerball and how players can be your teammate in one league and opponent in the other, there is now probably more reluctance to beat up your part-time teammate. There simply is no longer the intense hate-on players and teams have for each other.

Nowadays it seems guys don't want to get hit during a game and are buddy-buddy after the game. This is a somewhat regular complaint I hear from guys who played in the 1970s-1980s and earlier, opponents are now too familiar with each other. We no longer see the Kevin Parsons - Al Lewthwaite - Ward Sanderson weekly smash-up that was the norm in the 1970s. (and we don't hear of them complaining of concussions, either)

And long gone are the days of yore when Newsy Lalonde sees his arch-nemesis Jimmy Gifford's wife while heading to the stadium for a game, and walks over and tells Mrs. Gifford how her newborn son looks like a real horse's arse because he resembles Jimmy so much - and Jimmy is so furious that even half a century later when both of them are being inducted into the charter induction of the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, Jimmy refused to show up because Newsy was there. 60+ years later and Jimmy never forgave his battles on (and off) the field with Newsy.

They don't make lacrosse grudges like this anymore...

RockStar likes this.
  4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

How on earth does one live without a cell phone in 2019? Not being a dick, because I do like taking breaks from having my phone handy 24/7, but I can't imagine being disconnected from the world much of the time.

Ziel37 and IAmDroot like this.
  5. AmericanRockFan

In fairness, does lacrosse even have enough of a following that CTE in lacrosse would get coverage the way other sports do? I mean, how many people out there other than psychology folks like myself know that sports such as cricket and horse racing have the highest suicide rate among retired athletes? I'm not saying that concussions are a problem in lacrosse like in other sports, but it wouldn't shock me if it actually is and the data just doesn't get the attention that it gets in football and hockey.

6. Dave S-C

Very easy. The exact same way I made do without one in 2009 and 1999... I use a desktop PC and nothing else and not being a slave to a phone or iShit is actually quite liberating.

LOL, no offense taken as I get people asking me that all the time. I reply: "I make do fine - it's everyone else who loses their minds they cannot let go their phones or get hold of me instantly". #oldschoollife

7. AmericanRockFan

For me it’d be less about people being able to get a hold of me and more about not having a phone readily available in the event of an emergency. Lewis Howes told a story in his podcast about how he went on vacation for two weeks and left his cell phone at home. While I admire that, I’d have been paranoid that something really bad was gonna happen to me while I was sans cell phone.

8. Dave S-C

LOL, before I did away with my phone, if someone wanted to call me, they often had to e-mail me beforehand to ask me to turn on my phone, sometimes giving me enough time to charge it first. Eventually it just became such redundant hassle for others, people just gave up and used e-mail anyways to talk to me since they had to e-mail me anyways to get me to turn on the damn phone. It was all very Kraftwerk-ian...

Anyways... getting back to the Warriors, I wonder how many other folks they have alienated with the cellphone tix policy?

I suppose it is a good way to keep away all the old-tyme dinosaur fans with their "better back in my day when you could wrap your lumber around your opponent if you didn't like them. This stuff now days is for girls"** mentality.

** a legit comment I have heard from a former HOF player, LMAO

9. theSloth

theSloth Member

This matches what my nephew said to me. That they are targeting a different market, and really don't care about old fans. The Google says the population of Greater Vancouver is 2.5 million. So, if they drive away a thousand old guys, but market to the other 2,499,000 people in the area, they have a better shot of getting asses in seats.

I think that their 6/7/9,000 whatever home opener attendance was a one-off, for the curious, and isn't likely to be repeated often. Especially when the actual product becomes obvious. But, I wish them no ill-will. That said, when we bet on Stealth / Warriors games at the sloth household, we only bet the spread they'll lose by. No one ever picks them to win. That just seems like common sense.

wacklax and Dave S-C like this.
  10. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

It would be cool with a break from my phone, but I can't imagine how backed up on work emails I'd get without it.

A break sounds awesome. I'm sitting here drinking a few IPA's, surfing the net, and listing to some David Bowie on vinyl. I'd be livid if the phone went off right now. Like I said, it's sitting next to me for work emails, which I'm not expecting at 10:30 on a Friday night.

11. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Working in a state prison we can’t have phones on us. I usually do doubles when I go to work (16 hour days) in a pattern with my swap partner. So basically we work two 16 hour days in a row, then 4 days off. So it’s very strange going basically two full days with no phone. It’s also nice. On my off days though I find myself on it more than I should be.

12. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Adults use to have this thing called survival skills. Crap goes sideways and you figured it out.

Roughnecks Fan #1 and Dave S-C like this.
  13. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Google will also tell you that every year since 1970 or so there are more "old guys" than kids it would seem to be a better financial bet for fans in seats to go after the adult minor league hockey fans like the MILL did.
    I suspect the real reason they clean up the game is chasing the TV dragon. Penalty and fight filled games tend to go over broadcast windows.

RockStar likes this.
  14. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I am with you on this thought.

Hoping that after another year or so of failing to get this stuff anywhere near real TV they figure out that they might as well take it old school since they are stuck producing the IP broadcasts themselves anyway.

Run the numbers, Sak, a plug like OBrien gets exponentially more views and comments than the craziest circus shot any of the top skill athletes ever pulled off.......

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  15. AmericanRockFan

I take a different approach. It's good to have those survival skills PLUS something that further enhances survival skills.

16. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I agree with that. Plus, I think the NLL is trying to clean up the game because of concussions and other injuries that can happen that they may have liability for because of the fights.

17. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Ogilve fractured some Titan guy skull with a single punch. That was also the year Orlando fan complained about all the fights in the franchise home opener. There might be more of an aversion to fighting outside the North East and Canada who grew up with line brawls in hockey and lacrosse

18. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Hey, I remember the time some Columbus fan complained about some Bandits sign that had the word "balls" in it.

19. AmericanRockFan

Was that a game in Buffalo in 2001 or 2002ish? I remember this one guy had a sign that said "Watch Your Balls, You're in Banditland." He was told to take the sign down at one point in the game, but he gleefully returned with the sign and was allowed to hang it back up again. If I recall correctly, he even had a picture of Rax holding two lacrosse balls in his hand on it.

20. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I remember that fight. I think Ogilvie fractured his knuckle or finger when delivering that blow to the head.