How Important Is Lacrosse to You?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I've wondered this for a while. I'm sure everyone else on this forum is a sports fan in general, not just a lacrosse fan. So I was wondering where do you put lacrosse, or even just the NLL, along your priorities as a sports fan?

For me, my favorite sport that I follow really closely is probably MMA, but I also like baseball and hockey (I'm a Jays and a Leafs fan) and consider the Blue Jays to be my favorite sports team. If I'm able to watch a Jays game live as it happens, I'm watching it although I don't plan my life around it (not anymore anyways, which I sort of did between 2014-2016).

But I have to say that if I'm going to watch a random game between two teams I don't necessarily care about, I'm most likely to do that during lacrosse season. Maybe it's because the games are on weekends, or maybe it's cause there's not as many games as the MLB or NHL so it's easier to follow each individual game closely, but I really do enjoy just sitting back and watching some box lacrosse.

So while I'd put my Rock fandom behind that of the Jays, I would probably watch a random NLL game over a random MLB game.

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Nll fandom falls well behind my

NFL
    NHL
    MLB
    NLL
    NBA

3. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Never been a big fan of sports, at least watching them. I honestly only attended a Knighthawks game because I thought it was cool they were "a major league team" (I didn't realize how unprofessional the NLL was at the time haha) and I try to support anything from Rochester cause I think it's good for the city. Of course I was immediately hooked, and to this day its the only team I genuinely care about. So many of my favorite memories are from Saturday nights at the BCA. Anyways, I've gotten way of topic but my rankings would be

1) NLL
    2) NFL (mainly cause of fantasy football)
    3) MLB
    4) NHL
    5) Every other sports league on planet earth
    6) NBA

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I am a casual fan that watches lots when the home team is doing well. Lacrosse is the only sport I follow to this level of insanity.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

NLL is, by far, my highest priority.

Then:
    MLB - I actually check the standings every day; often the schedule. I will usually put any game on TV, but I don't really watch it because I will be doing other things. If it's a YES-broadcast Yankees game, which is usually the case for a variety of reasons, I put the game on but mute it because listening to play-by-play guy Michael Kay is like putting on a condom whose inside is coarse sandpaper. So, instead, I listen to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman on radio. I love getting MLB radio late at night form all over because many MLB games are carried locally by powerful clear channel radio stations.

Tie with the rest....

NFL - I keep tabs on it, but with CTE, that sport is dying. (*) Besides, I am a Jets fan who hates the Jets, but I am happy being a Patriots fan. So, I might watch the games, but I don't care until the playoffs really because the NFL regular season is just the Patriots pre-season. However, I do enjoy seeing the Jets suffer. My hex on them is still in place until Woody Johnson sells the team.

NBA - Knicks and Sixers are worthless. I hate the Celtics. I really only care toward the playoffs.

NHL - I watch to see how the Islanders are doing during the year, but otherwise, I really only care during the playoffs.

NCAA Hockey - I watch how RPI, North Dakota, Union, and Connecticut schools are doing, but otherwise, I really only care during the playoffs.

AHL - I check the standings occasionally, but this is something I would attend.

MiLB - I don't care about anything, but this is something I would attend for fun.

(*) The New York Times had an article this morning:
    Of the 111 dead NFL players who donated their brains to CTE research, 110 of them had CTE.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html
    N.F.L. Brains
    A neuropathologist has examined the brains of 111 N.F.L. players — and 110 were found to have C.T.E., the degenerative disease linked to repeated blows to the head....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I watch every NLL game that I possibly can. My wife knows that with a few exceptions, I'm in the office on the laptop every Friday and Saturday night during the winter.

I've always been a huge Blue Jays fan and in the past couple of years, my wife has rediscovered her love of baseball as well, so the Jays game is usually on the TV during the summer, even if we're not actively watching it.

My rankings are quite close to k-hawksfan33:

1. NLL
    2. MLB
    3. NHL
    4. NBA
    5. Every other sports league in the world
    6. NFL

7. AmericanRockFan

I'm not a fan of any of those three, but to be honest I'd refer to the Sterling/Waldman duo as the coarse sandpaper condom.

A comment like this sort of makes me reminisce about the pre-NLLTV days, when games weren't so easily available via YouTube stream or NLLTV. I never used B2 back in the day, and I remember the days of when I didn't even know who won a Rock game until the next business day... I remember if the Rock had a Friday night game, I probably wasn't finding out who won until Monday when the team updated their website (partly because I wasn't smart enough to realize that maybe the Toronto Sun's website would have the result for me :oops: ).

I really wish that the MSL or even Ontario Jr. A put streams online cause I'd love to have a summer box lacrosse fix since I live just far enough away that I'm not able to make the trek to Ontario for some summer box action on a weeknight.

8. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

1. NLL
    2. NHL

I'm tired of the NFL, mainly because of 17 years of Bills suckage. I only watch MLB, NBA and NCAA basketball at playoff time and that is mostly during the finals. I've been known to watch poker, NCAA softball, European soccer and darts on TV because on some level they interest me.

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think there were 3 MSL games on Saturdays this year. I went to one in Brampton, there was an afternoon game at Six Nations last week that I missed because I was out of town, and there was one in June in Oakville (I think). The MSL playoffs start next week so there will hopefully be a Saturday game in Oakville or Six Nations to get to.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

...that coming from a Toronto fan...

11. some of the MSL teams have games on TV(local stations usually) or live stream,

the Six Nations Chiefs live stream their games (http://sixnationschiefs.blogspot.ca/2017/07/watch-chiefs-host-excelsiors-tonight.html) you just gotta watch their website for upcoming games/links

12. AmericanRockFan

To be honest, I barely even notice announcing tandems unless I really dislike them. I just don't care for Sterling's arrogance and sense of self-righteousness. In terms of tv broadcasting duos, the only ones that really make me cringe (for the AL teams) are Texas and Tampa's. I don't mind Gary Thorne that much, but I really wish he'd learn to pronounce more names properly because he seems to make it up as he goes sometimes.

Back to the topic at hand, I'll have to check out a Six Nations stream at some point. I'd love to get more into the summer game.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

That weed you're smoking was soaked in too much maple syrup!
    John Sterling is not arrogant at all and if you actually listened to him, you'd realize this. ;)

14. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

1) NHL - been a Flyers fan since 1972, and a.STH since 87.
    2) NFL - an Eagles fan, but not.a.nut. I also follow it closely due to fantasy football.
    3) NLL - would be number 2 if I still had a team. Heck probably should be number 2 since I still follow it here.
    4) MLB - a distant 4. I will watch parts.of a Phillies game if nothing else is on
    5) PGA - I watch the majors on the weekends, and if they are playin on one.of.the few other special courses, like Sawgrass or Torrey Pines.

Can't watch the NBA anymore

15. AmericanRockFan

I guess since we're all ranking stuff....

1) Blue Jays - been a fan since 1993, and a flex pack holder since last season (on paper that all sounds bandwagonish, but I swear I'm not...)
    2) Maple Leafs - been a fan since high school, but I've liked hockey since I was in kindergarten
    3) Rock - been a fan since 2000

Overall league rankings...
    1) UFC/Bellator/various MMA leagues - it's just easy for me to follow, with events being on weekends, which allows plenty of time to read articles and whatnot
    2) NLL - as a league overall, this, although as I've stated I'd rather watch a Jays game
    3) NHL
    4) MLB
    5) I couldn't care less about the NBA, but I do sort of follow the Raptors because of the amount of Canadian friends I have who are into them

16. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

In recent years, MLB has become the primary sport I follow on a regular, almost daily basis - but really only pay close attention to what my team (Oakland) is doing and how bright the daily dumpster fire is burning.. Probably attend 1 or 2 Athletics games down in Seattle per season. It helps that baseball is the only sport my wife has any remote interest to follow and understands, so going to games in Seattle ends up being a date-weekend for us.

Honestly, since I stopped playing lacrosse a couple years ago, the sport has steadily fallen off my attention span. Haven't been to a WLA game in two seasons and I only got out to 2 or 3 Stealth in the same time frame, but only when it's free tickets on the line. If anything, my attention is still engaged towards following my old Prince George league I played in and keeping in touch with the players I played with and/or against.

Outside of MLB and summerball lacrosse, I suppose the next sport I follow in international rugby when it's the RWC and the Springboks are playing. I do like catching the BC Lions but I don't keep up with their or the CFL's goings-on. NHL hockey has been completely off my radar since getting into MLB in 2013.

17. AmericanRockFan

To be honest, I'm a little surprised to hear this since you're still active on this message board.

In regards to the CFL, it's funny, for the last 4-5 years I followed it pretty closely but this year I've only watched 1 Argos game and have barely glanced at the standings. It's funny because when CFL info was hard to come by in the US I used to really thirst for that info. Now that it's available so easily, it's like I don't want it anymore.

18. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

BTW, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but CFL games are on ESPN2 now. I was watching Ottawa at Toronto the other night (or was it TOR@OTT...?).

19. AmericanRockFan

It's been a thing for a few years now. They've been showing the CFL in July and August on ESPN2 (usually 1-2 games a week) with the rest available on WatchESPN. It's pretty cool, and I really do like the CFL so I'm pretty eager for tonight's Lions-Eskimos game.

20. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

My dad watches the CFL regularly. He thinks.it.is faster than the nfl.