How Important Is Lacrosse to You?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Nowhere near as active here as back in the days of the Ravens. Also my knowledge of the current active player base has reached close to zero - while 10-12 years ago I knew about at least the WLA rosters 3 or 4 lines of depth, etc. Today I could maybe name six players playing NLL or WLA now.

However, just because someone plays the sport doesn't equate into knowledge of the top levels of the sport or an interested in the bigger picture of the sport. When I was playing c-ball in Prince George, most guys knew of locals Scott Anderson and Jeff Moleski playing in the NLL but otherwise majority of the players I knew, really knew very, very little current about the NLL and practically nothing the Snr A leagues. It was all very much a local attention span.

2. unspoken

unspoken Member

I was a casual NLL observer until the Rush moved to Saskatoon. Then it became easily the league/sport that I follow the most, and have started watching MLL and some summer ball this year as well.

I used to be a MMA fanatic, knowing every guy on the card, etc. But now with 1-2 UFC cards every week, the product has become watered down. I've only watched two PPVs this year to date, because most of the time I find myself looking at the main card and not recognizing the names of half the fighters who are on it. I still do follow it, but it would probably rank third now behind NLL and NFL, which I also probably wouldn't follow as closely if not for being in multiple fantasy leagues.

3. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

NLL
    CFL
    MLL/MSL/WLA/ALL/Canadian university
    NHL- mostly oilers and Canadian teams
    NFL- mostly patriots
    NBA - raptors
    MLB - blue jays

Used to be huge into ufc but they opened the flood gates and I don't really care about any fighters.

4. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

CFL is faster pace.....the 20s play clock makes a big difference.

It's also way more free flowing - average offensive set has 6 eligible receivers, and you can have up to four in motion before the snap......1/2 the plays are "gadgets"!

I'm not really a football guy, but, I'll take a CFL game between top half teams over most any NFL match.

5. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Ya my family is huge in CFL! I prefer the game style over the American version. I love that it's more fluid. Before discovering the NLL in 2013 I was almost exclusively a CFL guy! I try to go to 3 esks games a year. I definitely recommend CFL to any football fan!

6. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Not as much as it use to.
    Games just not as good as they use to be very little hitting even less passion.
    For the first time since 1991 I did not see a game live when the Bandits we not playing.
    First Bandits season ever I did not go to an away game (I saw every Bandits game home and away until Colorado entered the league).
    First season ever I did not see any game in Rochester
    First season since streaming started I did not watch a single game on line.
    I learned who won the Championship in July
    I use to be as die hard as fans got but the NLL is no longer very entertaining

swami24 likes this.
  7. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

I'm a dedicated hockey/ box lacrosse fan. Follow/watch the sport in the winter/summer because it's far more entertaining than baseball/football/soccer ...to me anyways.

Basically:

1. NHL/junior/minor hockey
    2. NLL
    3. Summer Ball

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

It's crazy, I never realized just how regionalized of a league this was until 2002 or 2003. If every team was still within about a 6-7 hour radius of me, I'd have given consideration to trying to do this one season.

9. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Never flew to a game, but have been to 13 different stadiums between DC and CT. Pitt, roch, albany, dc, md (2), philly (2), allentown, trenton, meadowlands, mausoleum, and CT. Missed out on the Prudential center, Syracuse and MSG, and not made Buff. That's 17 locations in 1 district and 5 adjacent states.

10. AmericanRockFan

I'm assuming this is the Nassau Coliseum, correct?

The Nassau Coliseum, the FORMER home of the FORMER National Lacrosse League team the NEW YORK TITANS who played there in 2007 while also SPLITTING TIME playing some HOME games at the world famous MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, owned and operated by JAMES DOLAN. That JAMES DOLAN, he's kinda a SCUMBAG but he's nothing like that TIM KELLY who killed thy beloved NEW YORK TITANS and not just the TITANS but also the NEW YORK DRAGONS, the greatest ARENA FOOTBALL team to ever grace God's green earth on LONG ISLAND at the NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM.

11. swami24

Thanks for the memory jog. As much as we battled, that dude had a hard life.

I will always remember the usher there with the handlebar moustash, he always shook my hand and said that the only fun game there was when the PWFC arrived and livened up the place. Of course that is also where a tween ran up at spit at at me while i was walking the empty concourse with the 5 or 6 yr old lil swami walking hand in hand. Nice, at least i was still quick of foot enough then to pull a spin move and avoid being loogied.

12. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

It was really great going places like Pittsburg or Charlot and the home fans being shocked that not only were there away fans at the game but there were hundreds Buffalo and Philadelphia back in the day would bring fans by the literal busload.

13. swami24

There was no challenge at volume. 75 Wings fans were 10x louder than 500 crossfire fans. I think their attitude was, who are these lunatics? Of course, they had us pegged correctly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I really wish I had discovered the league before I met my wife.
    Well, really, I wish I had discovered the league on Day 1....
    (I discovered the league within the first year after I met my wife.)
    But, had I been single - back when I had lots of time and disposable income - I would have had a blast.
    Albany got a team right after I met my wife which made things inconvenient although she did enjoy the many games we went to. We didn't start going until the 2nd season in 2001.
    We went on one road trip to Montréal in 2002, but never really had a chance to go on any others even though we talked about even driving out to Columbus for an Attack @ Landsharks game.
    However, once I started working in Buffalo in 2006... that was fun. I went only once to TOR to see them host PHI, but, I don't remember how many times I made the short drive to ROC for games whether BUF was in them or not.

15. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

Box Lacrosse is my #1 sport to watch. Whether summer ball or NLL. I still play and all my kids play (mostly field).

I only watch NHL during the playoffs for the most part. NFL superbowl only. Never NBA.

NCAA Lax during tournament and that really is to only see how the Canadian lads are doing down south. Never MLL.

16. AmericanRockFan

That's my take on the NCAA as well. Maybe if I had a good D1 team nearby (Syracuse isn't far away, but it's far enough away that I don't follow them closely) I'd pay more attention to the D1 level during the season. If I start to follow the MLL more, which I'd like to, maybe then I'll get into NCAA more so I can keep tabs on who the good prospects are.