is challen rogers the all star that nobody talks about?

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by dougm, Apr 24, 2018.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

kid has wheels, skills, has good ball hawking senses - imagine a super sized stevie toll. the transition guys are the same - big and fast. challen is the best of the bunch, including brodie.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to call him an all-star, but I can tell you that the Rock are a much better team with him around than they are when he's not around, especially in Gamble's absence this season. I really do look forward to watching this kid develop further.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned, many games, he's alternated with Burns as being the best complete player on the floor.....Bit like Toll, maybe a touch less quick, maybe not as good at picking off passes and grabbing loosies.......but, hits harder and shoots better.

Legit two-way player. You can see it on the shifts where he takes it deep and ends up staying out for the attack shift. Good stick, seemingly better sense of how to play set offence with the other attackers than most. During the lean weeks I was thinking they should scratch Hickey or Hellyer, get Belgrave or one of the other D prospects in, and, run Rogers as the 3rd or 4th righty attacker for half a game and see what you think.

dougm likes this.
  4. AmericanRockFan

I've noticed this too. I've been very surprised at how many offensive touches he's had this season since I don't really recall the Rock having a defenseman/transition player being given so many opportunities to go on the attack.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

It's not so much that he is "given" the opportunities as it is a sensible conclusion to some of the transitions.....like if he finds himself in the attack zone, far side from the bench, if it takes a while for the attackers to get out in position to ditch, maybe there isn't enough time to bother going to the bench to spring the last righty, so, he stays out and finishes the attack shift.

6. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

yep. transition not only moving the ball from A to B, but also putting the ball in the right stick. and that includes himself. offense sputters, goalies are a mystery, but toronto's defense/transition is really good.

7. AmericanRockFan

Well that too, I just feel like it's been a while since a D/T player on the Rock had the confidence to stay out there for an extended period of time instead of passing the ball off to the first offensive player he saw and ran off the field.