Is it goodbye lacrosse?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Stealth Forum' started by New Fan, Jan 21, 2017.

1. New Fan

New Fan Member

Great start to the season winning two games back to back on the road. Things looking up for the Stealth. Home opener last weekend and they draw a pathetic turnout of 3515. Headout on the road to Buffalo and get 21 goals scored on them tonight. Time for the GM to go and for the owner to start looking for a new city for 2018 season. I like Winnipeg. Could follow the plan of the Rush and their move to Saskatoon where I think there is a sellout tonight of around 15,000.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Isn't 3515 par for the course in Langley?

Stealth goalies did your team no favors tonight. But the Stealth erased 2 4-goal deficits at least twice and they had some quality snipes that picked corners. Don't give up yet.

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I'll take yours or the swarms roster back inphilly , Richards was just bad tonight prior to getting the hook but credit buffalos attack they played with the much needed desperation

4. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

It would be nice to see the Stealth fill their building, but they seem stuck at around their current level. Their past 2 seasons, they averaged about 3700. With a capacity of only 5200, I wonder what they need to draw to break even there.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I suspect that is sufficient or close to it.

6. wacklax

wacklax Member

From what I hear 4000 is right around the break even point. It surprised me that there were only 3500. Must have been paid tickets counted cause the building seemed fuller.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I think this is a little bit of an overreaction. Had the
    This seems like a bit of an overreaction in my opinion. Had the Stealth played the backup goalie from the get go last night they probably would have won, and we'd be here talking about how the Stealth are 3-1, and are solid road warriors.

On the topic of moving though, Winnipeg could work I suppose, but they'd have to compete with the Moose as the second-tier entertainment option.

9. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Four of the 7 goals that chased the starter were clear breakaways the last two goal were 2v 0 and 3v 0 seconds apart while the stealth had the power play fail to see how the loss is hung on the starting goalie

10. AmericanRockFan

Doesn't change the fact that his save percentage for the game was less than 50%. You're not gonna win many games with a SPCT like that. His inability to stop those breakaways led to the Bandits taking the momentum.

11. wacklax

wacklax Member

The goalie has to make a save to keep his team in things.

12. New Fan

New Fan Member

Going to have to make a lot of saves this coming weekend. On the road Friday and then travel back home to play a red hot Georgia team that will be sitting waiting for them. Bonehead scheduling, especially for a team struggling at home. A game the night before, travel and play a fresh team. Going to be a tough weekend for the Stealth.

13. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

The Vancouver Giants (WHL hockey) isn't selling out LEC either since moving from Pacific Coliseum, they're drawing about 3780 right now. Seems to be similar numbers the area can draw and support.

14. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Saturday's numbers should hopefully be strong because there's a masters box lax tournament going on all day at the LEC site before the game, with 8 teams worth of players who most will be heading to the game afterwards. Obviously many of these guys will have season tix or packages, but not all.

15. theSloth

theSloth Member

They should be doing this for every game, until attendance picks up. The post I saw on FaceBook, didn't even include the fact that kids wearing minor league jersey's get in free. I had to Google around, to find one that did. The KIDS GET IN FREE, should be the major selling point. The 'interaction' with players, should be the kicker.
    stealth.jpg

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

If I had never seen a sport live and I saw that kids get in free there is no way I would buy a ticket because it would be like going to a restaurant where kids eat free children running everywhere. A one off promotion is fine but as an on going thing I think you risk the single male demo which drives live sporting ticket sales.

Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  17. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

The league stopped chasing the single male demo years ago. It is all grass roots now and kids, family crap etc.

18. unspoken

unspoken Member

Maybe it's team by team, but in Saskatoon it's definitely not marketed that way. Sure, there's kids there, but a huge part of the crowd is 20-40 year olds. And there was barely any grass roots for the sport until the Rush arrived.

I have heard that possibly part of the Stealth's attendance issues have to do with people being content with what the WLA has to offer at a lower ticket price than the NLL.

19. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

How do you interact with players if they're playing?

20. AmericanRockFan

Post-game obviously, Wolves-4-Life.