Is it goodbye lacrosse?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Stealth Forum' started by New Fan, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Where were you coming in from?

2. cdngoalie

cdngoalie Member

ok so people complain that the place looks empty because no one is in the stands but also do not want to sit in there seat because they enjoy standing and drinking at the game. I enjoy the railings as well for WLA and Jr A games but when i go to the stealth games i use my seat. I look at as, i pay 35 dollars for seat i am going to use that seat. but i am old fashioned

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Valid logic. That's why I don't stand in the FlightDeck at Jays games even though it looks appealing. I pay $40-$50 for my 200 level seat, so I'm gonna get my money's worth out of it. Now, if I was paying $15 for a 500 level ticket, then it's another story.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Slightly on the topic, the Hartford Yard Goats are about to open their new stadium, and have "high top swivels". Basically they've added high top chairs to the drinking rails above the seating area. Priciest seat in the park.

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20100309&content_id=8725166&sid=t538&vkey=team1

5. theSloth

theSloth Member

For the Stealth you can buy $10 seats on Cyber Monday ( my seats are fine ) and sit in one of any 2,000+ empty seats.

6. New Fan

New Fan Member

A great road victory last night in Calgary. After a 5 loss run they go in and hand the flat Necks their 3rd loss in a row all at home. A 3 way fight now for 2 playoff spots. The Stealth are back in the race. Now if they can win at home that would be the bonus.

7. wacklax

wacklax Member

they just don't win at home

8. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

2,500 on a Saturday night
    Bye

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

The announced crowd of 2,651 is their smallest crowd since their move to Langley

10. theSloth

theSloth Member

But the stream was excellent!

[​IMG]

RockStar likes this.
  11. cdngoalie

cdngoalie Member

Vancouver will probably relocate again after only drawing 2600 fans. It's no fault of the fans though, it's tough to cheer for a club that has no future. No draft picks as the teams fans sit back and watch the other teams get better. if things play out like they could Rochester could have 1st and 2nd overall this coming draft.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

no idea how deep the owners' pockets are, nor how long they are willing to subsidize pro lacrosse for local fans, but, I figured they needed 4500+ at full freight to even dream of breaking even.

they're finding it's a tall order with a team that seems cursed at home

13. The Wack

The Wack Member

It's not just the Stealth having this problem in the Vancouver area right now but most of the professional teams in the area are having a hard time drawing fans. One thing that is consistant with these teams as well is most of them are not winning. I am sure the Stealth would be drawing in 4500-5000 fans if they were winning but they have been horrible in the 4 years in Langley.

The BC Lions have had there 2 worse season attendance wise in the last 15 years. Which has happened after 4 poor season in a row. The 2016 season was worse attended than 2015.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/bc-lions-home-game-attendance-drops-to-13-year-low/

The Vancouver Giants attendance has fallen off a cliff in the last 1o years. At a high of 8760 in 06/07 in 12/13 they had a average of 7205 which dropped down to 5169 last year to spark there move to Langley. And this year in Langley they have fallen to 3843. With the move to Langley the Giants have saved a bunch on expenses, but I also know that the ownership of the team though they would do better in Langley attendance wise than in Vancouver and that isn't happening.

I don't follow the Whitecaps or do they announce crowds so I really have no idea on how they are doing.

The Canucks still get crowds from when they were good and on the Stanley Cup run from a few years ago, but there attendance has dropped 1000 people as well and anyone in the Lower Mainland can tell you to buy ticket to a game right now is cheap compared to 5 years ago.

The Lions, Giants and Canucks have all been horrible for the last couple of years to go with there horrible crowds. If anyone of these teams were to start to challenge for a championship or be real good year and year out they would have good crowds. To me it seems like Vancouver does not support losers and the Stealth have been losers there whole time in Vancouver.

With the comment that where are all the lacrosse people the people that show up to the WLA games, the majority of them are showing up, as if you added up the attendance of all the home games during week of the teams in WLA you would not reach 3000 people. LEC has drawn horrible when they have hosted Mann and Minto Cups there. Which should have been a sign that if people in Coquitlam don't want to watch a Coquitlam team win a Minto Cup in Langley chances are they don't want to watch the NLL in Langley as well.

RockStar likes this.
  14. wacklax

wacklax Member

If the people of coquitlam cant be bothered to drive for 20 minutes **** em. As someone who travels 45 minutes to get to the games I am quite sick of hearing how inconvenient it is for the city folk to get there.

15. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Yes, the breakeven attendance number in that small building is ultimate mystery. I like the idea of having a team in Vancouver. On paper it seems like a natural rival for Calgary, Saskatchewan, Edmonton (if they ever return). They just can't seem to draw. For a game against Calgary, the announced attendance was 3,513. I was curious to see if they would have any increase against Calgary or Saskatchewan. It seems like 3500 is their ceiling. Maybe some Rush fans will go when they play there next week.

16. oldballs

oldballs Guest

The breakeven mark is 3500. In order to move to Langley the township had to guarantee the stealth 3500 paid attendance. If they draw less than 3500 then the township is on the hook to make up the difference . It is a 5 year agreement. With this agreement the stealth are guaranteed not to lose money. The LEC probably never thought they would draw less than 3500 so they thought it was a good deal. Little did they know how terrible the stealth would be.
    If this is true then it would explain why it seems management isn't held accountable for the teams record.
    We all know Vancouver supports winning teams a lot more than losing teams and if you can't lose money then attendance is really not a concern , at least not for 5 years.

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

this has to be unprecedented in North American sports.

it's one thing to build a multi use venue and charge favourable lease......im against this too, but, I can understand some of the arguments

it's a completely other level of folly agree ti underwrite the operation of a twice-failed franchise in a second (third?) tier pro sport.

tho only amazing thing here is that the taxpayers of Langley are not outside the mayor ans councillors offices with torches and pitchforks and a thirst for blood!

18. oldballs

oldballs Guest

The 5 year agreement hasn't been verified. It is the rumour going around Langley. I should have clarified that .

19. New Fan

New Fan Member

Wacklax, I second that comment for sure. Also, fans from New Westminster, Burnaby, Delta, Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge can be there in less than 30 minutes on an evening weekend game. Pathetic support from so called lacrosse fans.

20. unspoken

unspoken Member

Obviously it depends on the deal, but I know a few years back the Phoenix (now Arizona) Coyotes of the NHL were given some kind of deal involving the government of Glendale to spend a lot of cash in order to keep the Coyotes in their building which would basically be empty otherwise.