Is it goodbye lacrosse?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Stealth Forum' started by New Fan, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Remove the sport being played and based solely on the stadium/arena/venue experience, yes I think it is a cultural thing. NLL in Everett had a better vibe than any Canucks game I have been too. Our arena experience here - be it Canucks Arena, or BC Place, or LEC, seems almost stale. I don't know if it is a by-product of two hockey riots but it's like they want to dampen any sort of party vibe.

2. Vin

Vin Active Member

You need to go to Buffalo...

I forget the guy's name - some Canadian named Mark who was doing video reports on lacrosse in Ontario - he was at playoffs in Buffalo during the 2007/8 timeframe... He was awed by how loud it was. It was loud as it was a sell-out of almost 20k, but I didn't think that it was exceptionally louder than I had heard it other times. I'm sure he'd been to Rock games in the ACC... So, based on what you are saying Dave this makes sense now what Mark experienced; he just was not familiar with the American experience in a packed arena with a victorious team.

3. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Maybe not a cultural thing...but a generational one? I am not sure what the demographics are of the fans attending the Stealth games...but I have to tell you that at 50+ years old...I don't want the circus like atmosphere that goes along with the NLL product. As a kid...I used to listen to hockey and football on the radio. I followed the play by play. Music is fine during stoppages of play and intermission. I don't go to the game to dance in the stands. I get the fun that many families seem to have in the packed arena's in the NLL circuit. Just not my cup of tea while the game is being played. The game is fast. And I like to concentrate on the play to enjoy the game. I wonder how many "students" of the game get turned off by the loud atmosphere. The loud music is also presenting huge challenges to the broadcast qualities of the games I watch. The announcers have to shout over the music during the play. I don't pay for sports entertainment for the "party".

4. theSloth

theSloth Member

Pretty much, ya. I didn't say it was rational. :cool:

Maybe, I'm just never happy. Maybe it's me. Maybe we should talk about that? o_O

[​IMG]

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

If you'd like to pay me $150/hour to talk about your personality traits, I'm more than happy for your contribution to my bank account.

Anyhow, I honestly forget that the team in Vancouver is called the Stealth. I keep calling them the Ravens.

6. KeyBank Center gets extremely loud. I remember a game against Toronto last year, the place was going insane with the fighting, hits and comeback by the Bandits. I don't think anything compares to attending a Lacrosse game which is sold out or extremely close to it. The games against Toronto are the best, followed by Rochester. We have gotten to around 15,000-16,000 for a few games but we haven't sold out any games yet this year...I hope that changes.

7. This is where I disagree. I think the best thing about the NLL is the music and how it is being played throughout the game. It gets the fans pumped up, and the music is far better than what we get at Sabres games. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I am sure I wont change my feeling 10+ years down the road. Just because music is being played doesn't mean we are "dancing" in the stands. I sit there with my gf and watch each and every single play without being distracted by the music. I love it and I hope they continue it. I think that is what makes the NLL stand out above other leagues.

8. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

Love the music, love watching obnoxiously drunk rednecks dance, love the organized chants, love the circus vibe. I stand by the fact that the atmosphere at NLL games is 5x better than any NHL game.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

music - depends who is spinning and when do they spin the music. I cannot list the number of mistimed tunes played during the wings games. best one was "welcome to the jungle" to rally the fans and we are down by about 5-7 goals with 2 minutes to go. boos from us all.

10. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

The most comical incident this year is the black wolves dj playing who let the dogs out directly after dhane smith scored , purely incidental highly comical

11. Vin

Vin Active Member

I'm 54. I don't need a party, but I'm not interested in being in a church. That's almost what it was like in Toronto 10 years ago. I want to enjoy myself and have those surrounding me to enjoy themselves as well, but not behave like douches which, sadly, does happen a little too often with young guys.

dougm likes this.
  12. New Fan

New Fan Member

Another loss tonight in Toronto. I'm afraid the Stealth are destined for dead last again. Not much else to say.

13. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I feel like Vancouver and Calgary have to be two of the most frustrating teams in the league. Neither one is as bad as their record indicates but they just can't get it firing consistently enough to win. It's unfortunate, because Vancouver's offense is usually pretty fun to watch.

14. Rock Rulz

Rock Rulz Member

I'm hearing internal grumblings about coaching and coaches, lack of practice time etc.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Peterborough coach, Langley state of mind....

I have no idea whether Batley still works a day job in this end of the world, but, if he's not out there running a midweek practice, this is a more dysfunctional setup than Philadelphia was.

16. Vin

Vin Active Member

Which is just another reason why we need to pursue handing the keys over to NHL teams - so the people who actually are involved in playing the game can concentrate on playing the game with a full-time job.

I don't understand what it is about Commissioners... maybe they do their job and I am underestimating them, but the way to sell to an NHL team is not to sell to an NHL team, but make the pitch to multiple NHL teams. No NHL team gets that much of a perk running an NLL team, but when many of them own NLL teams, each owner's investment gains value for multiple reasons.

17. wacklax

wacklax Member

2966 tonight in langley my prediction

18. theSloth

theSloth Member

Looked like less to me. They'll probably report it as over 3,000. Helluva game though.

19. New Fan

New Fan Member

Well, have to eat those words. Week later and at home to boot and they defeat the Rock 14-11. Heck of a second half for the Stealth. Crowd reported at 3013. Stealth applying a little pressure on the Roughnecks.

20. theSloth

theSloth Member

Pretty decent guess, wacklax. :cool:

It certainly didn't hurt that McFetridge, Beers and Hodgson each put one in the net.

I didn't realize that we were sitting right beside the 'Facebook Finns...' A couple from Finland was traveling the world, and it was their 1st night of 5, in Vancouver. They posted in the Stealth Fan Facebook page, for some direction to get tickets, how to get from downtown Vancouver to the game, etc, and were taken care of by fans. Someone donated a pair of tickets, someone drove them from their hotel to the game. They were set up to play the Timmy's donut shuffle game, where they won a jersey. They had never seen a lacrosse 'match' before, and were overwhelmed.

I dunno if this has been discussed here before, but I was wondering... and this might be a tough crowd on the subject, since it's mostly old school fans, but...

Since their were a lot of kids in our section, I see kids and parents glancing around at the young ( compared to me ) guys behind me who say, '****,' every second word, and chirp ( occasionally amusingly ) constantly, refs and opposing players, with every second word being 'the F-bomb.' These guys have no filter. They are loud the entire game, their conversation can be heard in most of the section, and they probably yell, '****,' in some form or other more than 20 times a game. ( I think they are STH, and are behind us every game ).

I don't really care what they do, language-wise, and I'm getting used to them being rather obnoxious assholes... but, I see a lot of little kids and parents turning to look at them every time they say, '****.'

So, the question is. Should these guys be allowed to say WTF the want... is it an adult sport with adult fans, and the kids and parents should just suck it up? Or are these guys out of line?