Is there an ideal size for a box lacrosse player?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Aug 23, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Obviously, in basketball, taller is better. I tried to get into Major League Soccer this summer and was surprised to find the best players were well under 6-feet.

What's the ideal body type for a box lacrosse player?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Depends on the position. Shawn Evans is 5'9" and has done pretty well for himself on offense. The Morgan brothers that played in Portland on defense were north of 6'5" and were turnstiles.

We have seen big heavy goalies in the league like Davide Diruscio who is 6'3" and 300 pounds and some days he can't stop a beach ball.

Size isn't everything in the NLL. Footwork is very important, so is speed and the ability to snipe the ball. Obviously, you have to be very fit, strong in the upper and lower body and elusive to avoid big hits.

3. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Sure, great players can transcend physical limitations. But, in general, do NLL teams seek out height? Or is that just not on their radar?

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Original Eagle and some early MILL goalies. Were 5'8 ish and.over 250 lbs
    Now many are thin and use huge pads.but there are also big guys. .

Gait Bros were something like 6'2", 210, Tom. Maracheck was 5'10, 185.

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

6'6". 240 lbs.

6. swami24

So Peter Jacobs is the box lax ideal?

7. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

If all else was equal I would say teams would go after size. The Bandits only have 6 players under 6".

8. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Bigger than a breadbox,
    smaller than Pakistan.

9. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

So what about someone like Lebron James, who's 6'8, or Joel Embiid, who's 7'0. Are they too big to be elite lacrosse players?

I can imagine the upside of their size — they could bounce people off them, they could throw over shorter defensive players, etc. But what's the downside?

10. swami24

Interesting. I would say that a very athletic very big man would have problems on offense in the small spaces of box lax. They would.have trouble dropping a shoulder for a power drive, but then,who would want to repeatedly drop a shoulder into LeBron's chest to stop him? That size would make it hard to be quick with the stick. Going back to Peter Jacob's, his size produced a powerful, but wildly inaccurate shot.

If they were to play def, well that might be frightening. You would always have to duck around to get off a shot.

11. RockStar

Big bodies have more stress on knee and ankle joints.

This shtt would catch up with age more than hinder in short term.

12. chuckster

They used to be where they only had 6 players OVER 6 feet.

13. chuckster

On offense? It's hard to compare when defenders can be alot more physical on a player than in the NBA. James is strong but whack him a number of times with a stick and let's see if he could hit the side of a barn with a ball. Maybe he's your pick setter and those guys are not racking up the points.

On defense? It's all about footwork and he could do OK there but he would have a 1ish foot advantage over a guy like Shawn Evans who would dip the shoulder on James, James would wiff on him on the check or nail him in the head and James is either grasping at air or in the box for 5 for a check to the head. Offense guys wouldn't go through James but with enough speed, they might go around him. James might also end up screening goalies more than most defenders would.

Goalie? Might be too tall. The Swarm had Brodie MacDonald who is 6'7" and 260 pounds and there were many games he couldn't stop a beach ball either. He played himself out of the Stealth lineup on a few nights last year.

14. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Personally, I think if James had grown up playing lacrosse, he would destroy anyone in the NLL at whatever position he played. He's a world-class athlete and I don't think lacrosse is widespread enough to have produced anyone on his level.

Embiid might be too gangly and injury-prone for box lacrosse.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Shooter (Josh Sanderson for the newbies) was 5-foot-7, right? I don't think Phil and Ryan Sanderson were much bigger, if that, when I met them but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

16. RockStar

I cannot think of too many guys that would have been medium sized basketball players, like 6'6" or more, that ended up being stars in the NLL.

Dan Dawson might be it. Is Kevin Crowley in that height class as well?

Other than that, there's a bunch in the 6'3" to 6'5" class

17. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Yup, especially on offense. Williams, Kelusky and Benesch. Glen Bryan on defense.

18. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I talked to your mom and she said 10 inches

19. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Dan and Paul Dawson are both 6'5" as are Mark Matthews, Steve Priolo, Kiel Matisz, and Dillon Ward. Brock Sorensen and Dan Ladouceur are 6'6". Crowley is 6'4" along with Brodie Merrill, Challen Rogers, Brett Mydske, and a bunch of others.

The only players (that I know of) taller than that are Brodie MacDonald and Richard Morgan, both 6'8", and Tyson Roe and David Morgan, both 6'10".

20. fandit

fandit Active Member

5' 11" 175 lbs.
    Who gets it first........