Is this for REAL?!?!

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by Kathy C, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Kathy C

Kathy C Member

In 2019 an arena announcer is going to make a clearly racist taunt about the Thompsons? And then some fans refer to "scalping" Lyle?!?!
    I'm not nuts about the Thompsons (partly because they are so damn good and not on "my" team) and
    it's one thing to be fired up about your team, but this is so far out of line it's ridiculous. There better be something done/said about this.

Vin likes this.
  2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have already sent a complaint email to the team.

Vin likes this.
  3. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

It is the type of stuff that in soccer gets your home games played in empty stadiums. NLL needs to quickly id the staff and fans involved and take action publicly their is no place in the NLL for racism.

Vin likes this.
  4. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

It’s been narrowed down pretty well that it was not the arena host mark farzetta but it was the in game host Shawn hill

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

6. Wings-4-Life

Wings are saying it was Shawn Hill:
    [​IMG]

7. Wings-4-Life

8. swami24

Didnt sound like Hill to me, but more importantly, the incidents are at least being recognized. The resoluion may just be a slap on the wrist and sensitivity training, but we'll.see

Can we.fire Farzetta anyway, he gives me a headache.

9. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

Most of these in game announcers are too much. Less is more usually.

10. Wings-4-Life

11. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I’m not condoning what he said, but I believe him when he says that he truly didn’t understand and know about the heritage. I’m happy to see this was taken care of very quickly.

12. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

So is it a 2 minute penalty or 5 minute penalty for sniping the pony tail? :D Its high school level racism and the pc culture has forced the peanut gallery to overreact as usual.

13. swami24

Just saw the tweet. Sounds like he didnt know of Thompson's heritage, and thought he was just busting on a Joe ponytail.

I like that he is looking to personally apogize to Thompson.

14. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

Regardless if he intended it as a racial comment or not is irrelevant in my opinion. To make fun of someone’s looks in this day in age is wrong. You are an announcer for a pro sports team. There are thousands of kids in the stands and you make fun of a man with a pony tail regardless of his race. Seriously, does he not know better. With all the anti bullying talk, all the issues in schools, etc to make fun of someone’s looks in unacceptable. The league and the WIngs need to do ore than this. They need to make a stand. Now I am not saying a firing as people do make mistakes but they need to see it past the race thing. That issue just compounds the problem. For crying out loud the NLL has been placing and enforcing rules to take fighting and the physicality out of the game on the floor but it is alright for announcers to make fun of others....

15. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Like the statement by the league and the club however they also need to be looking at the fans and their role.

16. Wings-4-Life

As of this point, no one has been able to pinpoint exactly who the "scalpers" are. Sounds like they were 3-4 rows behind the Swarm bench, and it was 2 or 3 people.

17. swami24

Let's take a half a step back here. There were 70 thousand people in KC doing the tomahawk yesterday afternoon at the Chiefs game. And the worse.is that there still is that team in DC. Lets.put this in perspective. This is very small incident related.to a much bigger problem that isnt being addressed the big money sports

18. swami24

Camera work should be able to I'd them and toss their butts.

19. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

That can be found out talk to Thompson then contact any ushers, security and season ticket holders in that section someone will give them up. Once they do lifetime ban from any NLL event.
    Team and NLL also need to make public statement about fan conduct and the NLL needs to punish teams who fail to control their fans

IAmDroot likes this.
  20. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

NLL can only control the NLL