Is this worse than the NLL

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Snider4theWin, May 28, 2017.

1. Snider4theWin

Snider4theWin Member

IMG_2391.PNG i mean ffs come one

2. Snider4theWin

Snider4theWin Member

Yes that's arena football league with 5 teams
    2 of which are expansion

Yet you have total idiots saying the soul are the best team in Philadelphia better than the Eagles
    I live in the philly market I knew they started 2-0 had no clue they are 7-0

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

back at its lofty peak of poularity, i watched a few games and tried my best to give a rat's arse about arena football.

did not work. Real football is, at best, tied with baseball and basketball for 4/5/6 for me, and this is a thin imitation of real football.

i truthfully did not even know that this still existed other than in regional school bus leagues......I guess this might very well be a regional school bus league....other than Tampa and Cleveland anyway.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

And yet I've seen a couple of their games on TV.....CBS Sports, I think.....and the NLL? Nowhere to be found on a TV station. What is wrong with this picture?

RockStar likes this.
  5. Winger86

Winger86 Member

The Soul even get all their games televised live on one of the 2 Philly sports channels.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

nothing to do with NLL leadership, i am sure.:)
    :rolleyes:
    all these years, i cannot believe that they could not find a broadcast partner to show a Friday and a Saturday game of the week somewhere in the first 2000 channels my cable box can tune

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

This pisses me off to no end. I have always said it is a live action video game, not a real sport. 5 teams is not a league. This is where the commish being in Philly make make a difference. Do whatever it takes to partner with Comcast. That then them into content for nbcsportnet and their regional networks. I saw the Soul billboard on 95 today and I soit into the wind at it.

8. Winger86

Winger86 Member

One World Sports has rebranded, and is now Eleven Sports. It's still just as obscure.

Last night they were showing a replay of a Can-Am League baseball game between the Québec Capitales and the Rockland Boulders. This is the lowest form of professional baseball that exists in the US. They're replaying the same game again 3 times today.... and twice tomorrow. There's no reason the NLL can't find a way onto this channel.

smurf666 likes this.
  9. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I am sure the NLL will find a way to amaze you on this. :)

I tell you, when I started watching, the home arena were packed, Rock, Ravens, Rebel, Express and Roughneck games were on TV semi regularly, all Rock games were on Radio and, even my casual sports fan friends knew a few of the local players, knew the last result and whether Toronto was having a good year or a so so year.....

Also, if I had spare tickets, my friends and acquaintances all wanted to go, and, I couldn't even get extras nearby.

Now, it looks like an effing joke.......The rink is half full on a good day, and there is no TV...only a dodgy paywalled webcast through smoke-signal internet that is produced so poorly, it is unwatchable except for a die-hard like me.

Rock are clinging to Toronto and ACC because Dawick is wealthy, committed, and, maybe is only losing money slowly. I will keep watching as long as he keeps running it, but, it is getting harder and harder to find friends to go.......even though I can buy the whole row behind my seats :(

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that there are multiple arena football leagues and not just the AFL. The IFL now has some of the teams that were in the AFL.
    Indoor football and indoor soccer are decent sports but just do not have the relative stability that the NLL has.

11. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

You have no clue how ******* hard it was to find friends of mine who live in Toronto to go to Colin Doyle Day with me, and he was an icon from 10 years ago when people in Toronto actually liked the Rock....

12. AmericanRockFan

I've noticed this too. I'm far from an arena football aficionado, but it looks like a new league has practically taken over the arena football industry.

13. Snider4theWin

Snider4theWin Member

Wow a 10 team league that took from all I can see is the Arizona rattlers (from last year) when the AFL got gutted

14. AmericanRockFan

The Iowa Barnstormers left for the IFL also, as did the Spokane Shock before they ultimately just folded in general. The Jacksonville Sharks left for something called the National Arena League.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The entire arena/indoor football industry is in a constant state of flux with leagues merging or folding and franchises moving about all the time. There is a market for that sport, but it is mostly for under-10K arenas, thus the economics are difficult outside of a regional league. That sport needs wealthy investors again like it had some time ago when AFL was on TV. I definitely believe that indoor football is a viable continental sport, but it definitely has challenges right now - many of which are the same as the NLL. Fortunately, for the NLL, we are headed in the right direction.

16. Snider4theWin

Snider4theWin Member

I don't think the nll is heading in the right direction what so ever,
    1/3 of the franchises are of major concern

If you can't see the downward trend of Torontos attendance and put it in relation to the wings decline, then you're blind. The ACC is prolly the most expensive arena to lease that isn't named Madison square garden, because MLSE are money hungry a holes. They should probably close the second level to save some overhead, it's up to dawick though to see how much money he wants to lose for the love of the game

Vancouver is always on death watch since the day the franchise moved from Albany

Georgia. Lolololololololololololl

Then this commish is talking rapid expansion in the next few years

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I do think it's in the right direction and here's why:
    1. I am not concerned about Toronto; if they get their shït together they will be fine. Look at Buffalo 15 years ago: Average Attendance < 6000. Now: Above 15000. Part of that is on-floor performance, but part of that is having the front office shït being together. Maybe Toronto needs new ownership. Anyway, whatever Toronto's problems are, they are Toronto's. Perhaps the owner ought to sell to the Leafs. That's one thing that spelled the Wings demise: selling to the wrong owner.
    2. Evolution - survival of the fittest. The teams that are owned by NHL teams are the teams that are doing well. Every team owned by a Mom and Pop except Saskatchewan is in theoretical trouble. The possible exception is New England which has a significantly different business model. With time, stronger owners will enter the league such as Edmonton and perhaps a decent owner in New York or Philly although that is to be seen.
    3. We are not so much wasting our efforts on dead ends like we were. So, instead of having some Ocho-of-the-Season TV deal, we are more focused on our marketing and broadcasting than before.

18. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I would add Rochester to the above list - they exist the same way as Toronto, i.e. only by the good graces of a wealthy and interested owner.

Sask, Calgary, Buffalo, Colorado are the only money makers. NE groups with this batch because money making from lacrosse ops is only half relevant, and, the overall traffic is doubtless making them money.

Toronto, Georgia, Rochester, Vancouver are all on borrowed time, because if someone was worried about losing money, these would be shut down quickly.

19. Snider4theWin

Snider4theWin Member

Buffalo is a lousy sports city like Rochester they will only show up in droves if the team is good
    Buffalos attendance was also down this year

Cline was already partners with French when he sold him his controlling share
    Comcast wanted the wings without French and he ran them to the point of relocation he's a scumbag

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Buffalo is not a lousy sports city. Check the cheese whiz on your cheesesteak sandwich; it might be bad.

Buffalo's attendance may have been down this year... except that it is still #1 in the league despite being the worst team in the league. Furthermore, Buffalo went down in average attendance from 15833 last year to 15148 this year, a 4.3% drop. Buffalo's wins went down from 13 to 6, a 53.8% drop. That ought to tell you how hardy fans in Buffalo are.

If you check Buffalo's attendance records, the turning point was when Kilgour took over as coach and Rigas was out of the picture. After that, things quickly changed.

Yeah, too bad. Really, Comcast should have gotten that team and that would have been a critical milestone and turning point in the history of the league.

Meanwhile, yeah, it really would be nice if Toronto could upright the ship. It's tough that some many long-time icons are gone like Terry Sanderson, Josh Sanderson, Colin Doyle, Veltman - but he's been gone for almost a decade, and some others. I think the front office is really to blame there. Don't forget they fired Cordingley and I think that was a bad move on their part.